Help getting PC to recognize Yamaha P 125

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
LizTheMusician

Help getting PC to recognize Yamaha P 125

Unread post by LizTheMusician » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:54 pm

I have a Yamaha P-125 keyboard that has MIDI capability. I followed what the user manual said and installed the Yamaha-Steinberg Driver as well as Musicsoft Downloader in order to be able to transfer audio/MIDI to my Windows 10 PC. I've connected it via USB cable and my PC recognizes it as an audio device and I can even play audio from my PC through the keyboard's speakers. However, there are a couple of problems.

1. The manual also tells me to download the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver, but the installation stops and gives me Error 25001: no device connected.
2. Musicsoft also doesn't recognize the keyboard. There's nothing listed under "Electronic Musical Instruments" and I've done a connection check and it still tells me no device is connected.

So my question is, why won't the PC recognize the keyboard as a MIDI device and how do I get to? I have tried restarting my PC, checking that the cable is connected properly, and connecting it to several different USB ports on my PC and nothing has helped.
I've attached screenshots of the error messages. This is my first post on this site and I appreciate any help in advance.

Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help getting PC to recognize Yamaha P 125

Unread post by Saul » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Welcome to the forums LTM :)

You should not need a USB driver for MIDI. The P125 is class compliant so all you need to do is connect it and it "should" work.

The driver is needed for audio and clearly you have that working.

I have not looked at the manual but I am wondering if there is a function on the P125 to switch the USB port between MIDI and AUDIO :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
LizTheMusician

Unread post by LizTheMusician » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Saul, thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm just missing something. I can't post links to the manual (you can find it if you Google for the Yamaha P 125 manual and MIDI reference manual) but I looked at the manual for the keyboard as well as the MIDI reference for the keyboard. The MIDI manual provides instructions on how to switch between "receiving" and "transmit" mode, which I did, but still no change. I'm wondering if the answer is just super obvious and I'm just missing something...
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:49 pm

The manual is not that great but it did occur to me that you do need to do things in the right order for the software to "see" the midi input of the keyboard.

So do make sure the P125 is connected and turned on "before" starting your software otherwise it may not see it as a midi device.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:09 am

The Steinberg USB driver that you've already installed should handle both the MIDI and the audio, so you shouldn't need to install the Yamaha USB driver. Basically, you would install one or the other, but not both, depending on your keyboard's capabilities and your specific needs:

- Steinberg driver: Install this driver if your keyboard has USB audio capability-- not merely playing or recording audio files on an attached USB flash drive, but actually transmitting and receiving audio data over the USB-to-Host connection. This driver handles both USB audio and USB MIDI. I believe this is an ASIO driver, so if you install this driver then you don't need to use ASIO4ALL, and would be wise to uninstall ASIO4ALL as I've heard from at least one person that had problems with the Steinberg driver that went away after uninstalling ASIO4ALL.

- Yamaha driver: Install this driver if your keyboard does not have USB audio capability, or if it does but for some reason you don't have any desire to use that capability. This driver does not handle USB audio at all, just USB MIDI and file transfers.

It should be possible to install both drivers at the same time-- I know I had both drivers installed on my old computer-- but their installation procedures are essentially the reverse of each other:

- Steinberg driver: Before you try to install this driver, disconnect the keyboard from the computer, as well as any other external USB devices other than your mouse and computer keyboard. After installing the driver you can connect the keyboard.

- Yamaha driver: Before you try to install this driver, connect the keyboard to the computer and turn it on, because the driver needs to be able to detect the keyboard during the installation. If you have multiple Yamaha models which have different MIDI device names, then you need all of them to be connected and turned on during the installation so they'll all be recognized. But if you have multiple Yamaha models which have the same MIDI device names, then you only need one of them to be connected and turned on during the installation. For instance, the PSR-E433, PSR-E443, and above are seen as "Digital Keyboard," so if you have multiple models like that then only one of them needs to be connected and turned on. But the YPT-400 and some other models are seen as "Yamaha Portatone," so if you have some "Digital Keyboard" models and some "Yamaha Portatone" models then one of each needs to be connected and turned on. The MIDI device name should be listed at the top of the MIDI Implementation Chart, in square brackets. I think a couple of other common ones are "Digital Grand" and "Digital Workstation," or something like that.

I don't know if the order of installation matters, but I had installed the Yamaha driver for my PSR-E433 long before installing the Steinberg driver for my PSR-EW400, so if you need to install both but have trouble then you might want to try installing the Yamaha driver first, followed by the Steinberg driver-- but I think the installation procedure is more critical than the order. And I believe the Steinberg driver should allow the Musicsoft Downloader to communicate with your keyboard.

With regard to the Musicsoft Downloader, sometimes you might get an error message that no compatible device is present, but it isn't a problem with the driver. Instead, you need to check the MIDI device settings in the Musicsoft Downloader. Both the MIDI In and MIDI Out need to be set to your keyboard.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:06 pm

So, looking at the manuals and the website, the P-125 shouldn't need the Yamaha driver, just the Steinway one.

And I think it should show up as "Digital Piano."

In the Musicsoft Downloader, you need to check what the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT are set to-- I don't have it installed right now but I'll check later to see how you get to those settings (I think it's from the Check Connection screen, but I'm not sure)-- so you'll want both of those set to "Digital Piano," or however the P-125 is listed.

EDIT -- Okay, I've installed the Musicsoft Downloader and the Steinberg driver (but not the Yamaha driver) on my new computer, and everything "just works." You definitely should not need the Yamaha driver, at least not for the P-125.

I can get the error if I try to use the Musicsoft Downloader without turning on the keyboard, but if I turn on the keyboard and do the connection check it automatically sets the IN and OUT to my keyboard, so I don't think you'll need to set them manually.

However, I know that on my old computer the program suddenly started giving me that error one day, and I did have to manually set the IN and OUT to my keyboard. It might be that I'd changed the "default" MIDI OUT device in some other Windows program, and that caused the Musicsoft Downloader to use the new default (which was not my keyboard; possibly the Microsoft wave table soft synth, or perhaps the CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth).

Anyway, if you still can't get it to work, there are a few things you can check:

1) Make sure the USB cable isn't too long-- no longer than 3 meters.

2) Make sure the USB cable is a USB 2 cable, not a USB 3 cable.

3) If possible, make sure the USB cable is plugged into a USB 2 port on the computer.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “MIDI and Controller Keyboards”