The MMA releases the MIDI 2.0 specifications.

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wellingborough, Northants, UK.

The MMA releases the MIDI 2.0 specifications.

Unread post by SysExJohn »

On the 24th of Feb (2020) the MMA made avaialble, via their web site www.midi.org, five documents containing the MIDI 2.0 specifications in portable document format.

In order to be able to download these you must have joined (for free) the MMA.

If you go to the following page:
www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about ... y-exchange
and scroll down a little, you will find a link that takes you to a login/register page.

It reads
"Core MIDI 2.0 specifications now available.
Click here to download"

Completing the login or registration procedure will allow you to download the zip file "MIDI_2-0_Specification_Version_1-0.zip" from the site.
The five documents making up the new standard can be unzipped in the usual way.

Ta-da! :violin: :whistle:

UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: The MMA releases the MIDI 2.0 specifications.

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the info John (Y)

Not had time to read through it myself yet but just the fact that it is now out there is very encouraging. :)
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"No problemo" as I think they currently say! ;)

Haven't read it all yet, but glanced through most of it. :yawn:

The BIG question is 'when will we see some products that actually implement the enhanced controllers, etc.?'

What we're now waiting for is an enhanced USB protocol that will carry the new MIDI 2.0 messages.
It's being worked on but with no release dates.

Likewise, to implement MID 2.0 in Windows or whatever it is on a Mac will require some changes to the OS, I believe.
I'm pretty sure it won't be adviseable to hold one's breath.
UW500; 2 x MU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560; AN1x; Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Finale 26; Sonar 7 PE and CbB.
XGworks v4; SQ01; SOL2. Garritan GPO5; COMB2; JABB3; IO; Organs; Steinway; World; Harps; CFX Concert Grand.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Unread post by Saul »

I reckon we maybe a couple of years off from seeing MIDI 2.0 appearing in hardware. I wonder which one of the big names will be first out the door with it. I doubt it will be Yamaha.
Saul
Site Admin
Thalia Capos

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

Saul wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:13 pm
I reckon we maybe a couple of years off from seeing MIDI 2.0 appearing in hardware. I wonder which one of the big names will be first out the door with it. I doubt it will be Yamaha.
I doubt it too.

FAR BETTER to develop a shed-load of incompatibilites with our existing boards . . . . . :roll:

Still . . . . . It'll give US something to do, sorting them out, in the meantime :roll: :doh:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Wales, UK

Unread post by Derek »

SysExJohn wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:29 pm
"No problemo" as I think they currently say! ;)
I think you are about 30 years out of date! :mrgreen:

Seriously, it is good to see MIDI taking step forward. The fact that it remains until recently a 1.0 specification is a huge testament to how right they got it in the first place. Engineering at its best.....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Saul wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:13 pm
My guess would be Roland or Korg, since one of them already have a product out that's billed as being MIDI 2.0 ready-- can't find it right now but you had posted an announcement about it the other week. I should probably be looking on the main site rather than Recent Topics in the forum. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, Roland has the A-88MkII out (at least it's advertised on their site), which claims:
"And the A-88MKII is ready to take advantage of the extended capabilities of MIDI 2.0."

Of course, what that could mean is that it can answer a Capability Request by saying "I'm all MIDI 1.0!"
And that would be enough.

There are still no answers to:
1/. Do you do 16 bit Note On velocity?
2/. Do you do 32 bit Pitch Bend.
3/. In your implementation of USB 2, do you implement the new (as yet unpublished) MIDI 2.0 message exchange?
And so on.

But I suspect they'll be fairly early implementors of some extended capabilities.

Re. 16 bit Note On messages, that means more than 16,500 levels!!!! 8O :lol:
Is your tickling of the ivories THAT sensitive?
I'd have been quite content with a move from 7 to 8 bits, thus giving 255 over 127 different levels.

Re. 32 bit pitch bend.
And, as we've recently learnt in another thread, Yamaha has decided (in its infinite wisdom) to implement 7 bit pitch bend instead of 14 bit on the modx and montage. (I can't help feeling there's something going amiss here!)

Only 30 years out of date?
As i said, a modern saying.
(It only counts as not up to date if it's more than half a century old ... that's cool man!) ;)

jnm2

Unread post by jnm2 »

If they just move MIDI 1.0 to a bigger speed (10 or 100 times) and only use sysex (over usb) to do all that MIDI 2.0 spec.,
they would have much more chance to get followers, imo.
Now they will also need a new format for writing all the midi files too...