Yamaha MX61 & JamKazam

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

LittleReg1
Location.: U.S.A.

Yamaha MX61 & JamKazam

Unread post by LittleReg1 »

With all the virus stuff going on, my friends want to revive our regular band rehearsals using JamKazam. I have a Yamaha MX61 that - allegedly - has USB audio out that - allegedly - allows me to utilize my computer's sound architecture to plug directly in and play the instrument. First of all, are these assumptions true?

Next, I don't want to use any DAW software or any VST libraries or any of the usual stuff that's part of the typical complicated computer recording setup. I didn't buy a controller - I bought a synth, which means that all of the sounds I need are already resident in the keyboard. All I need the computer to do is port what I play into the computer and out through the Internet using JamKazam. JamKazam, however, is insisting that it "recognizes" the Steinberg drivers that I already installed, so I'm suspecting that I'm not going to really be able to do what I'm trying to do.

Folks, it's simple: I pick a sound on my keyboard, I press down a key, and that exact sound comes out of my computer's sound card and speakers. When that works, I simply want that same event to be transmitted over the internet. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha MX61 & JamKazam

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I think you can tell from the serial number label on the keyboard whether it's an older MX (which doesn't have the built-in USB audio interface) or a newer MX (which does). Basically, the newer MX models come in three different colors, so the model name on the label has two letters at the end to indicate the color-- BK for black, BU for blue, or WH for white. The older MX models didn't have those letters after their names.

Are you currently able to hear your MX through your computer's speakers when you connect it via USB? Also, what's the operating system that you're using?
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

LittleReg1

MX61BK - bought brand new less than a half-year ago. Not able to hear anything through computer speakers, either using USB Out -> Computer USB In, or MIDI Out -> PreSounus AudioBox 96 MIDI In -> USB Out -> Computer USB In. Tried putting MX61 in all four Utility modes. (P.S. NOthing coming out of PreSonus headphone jack, either. P.P.S. Keyboard works great in studio - direct to Fender amp as well as MIDI to Roland 5050 sound box.)

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Okay, I'll look at my MX49BK and Windows 10 computer later tonight. What I can say right now is that IIRC another member had a similar sort of issue in Windows 10 just a week or so ago, but it was with a PSR-EW410 (which also uses the Steinberg driver for USB audio) and a DAW. The way that member resolved the issue was to run the audio troubleshooter in Windows 10 and then following the recommended steps to correct the issue.

EDIT -- Sorry, it was the PSR-E463, which is the 61-key version of the PSR-EW410. Here is that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=172&t=15742
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

LittleReg1

Thanks, Michael. Much appreciated.