REVO-1 Curved Keyboard Just Arrived From Canada!

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: REVO-1 Curved Keyboard Just Arrived From Canada!

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:37 pm

I didn't know he uses a Keytar..perhaps he would like a play with REVO-1 after all ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:19 pm

The evidence.....
Rick Wakeman.png
Rick Wakeman.png (490.51 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Have copied and attached that image Derek :)

Not entirely sure a REVO-1 would sit well on RW these days but who knows?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 am

Here's Uncle Rick, dueling and duetting on keytars with Adam, back in 2001, Buenos Aires . . . .

Keytars start around 14:30, but the whole clip is worth a look. Some fine Guitar and Bass in there too along with Rick

doing his normal "duties" . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 am

Great stuff Chris. Thanks for sharing :)

Maybe it's just me but no matter how many clips I look at, a Keytar just seems wrong somehow. It always LOOKS like an instrument that should never be slung over your shoulder. REVO-1 on the other hand looks like it was designed for that very purpose.

Also looks great on it's stand and maybe this is an optical illusion but it doesn't seem to take up as much room as a normal 61 note keyboard?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 am

I think I remember someone from the company coming to the forums a while back and offering one to whoever was interested-- not that they were just giving them away so to speak, but as I recall the idea was to help them increase visibility and awareness of the keyboard.

I thought it looked funny back then, and I still think it looks funny in a picture by itself, but it looks a lot different-- it makes a lot more sense-- when seen in actual use. The curved design allows a full-size 5-octave keyboard to be carried around without sticking out awkwardly on either side.

It seems like it would take a good bit of getting used to for keyboardists who have memorized the positions and distances of every key to the point of being able to play blindfolded-- or at least with their eyes glued to sheet music-- rather than having to look at where their hands and fingers are going.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:53 am

I have mentioned REVO-1 on the forum before. They were looking for someone who plays full time in a fairly high profile band to give it a try and perhaps act as ambassador for it.

It's not easy launching something as different as REVO-1 because of course we all have very fixed ideas of what a keyboard should look and feel like?

I am not really a keyboard player but I found it very easy to use. Finding the keys whilst not looking at them was fine and I think someone far more accomplished than me would not have any problems in that respect.

Actually I am wondering if they are not targeting the wrong market. I'm thinking something like REVO-1 would be ideally suited to the street performer crowd. They are always on the look out for instruments that stand out and given the mobility of REVO-1 it would be ideal for that sort of use. Of course it would need to have sounds built in and then wirelessly connect to a battery powered amp but I don't think that would be too difficult to achieve. It IS still a prototype so perhaps there are other avenues to explore?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

My immediate instinct is that the Revo-1 is not for me - HOWEVER - I have neither seen it OR tried it - so I will resist spouting verities about it UNTIL I have had the chance to experience it for real . . . .

What DOES impress me, is that someone has taken the trouble to sit down and THINK - WHAT MIGHT BE DONE about this "PLANK" that we sit down at - and play . . . .

Some "lateral thinking" has occurred here, I think . . . ((i))

My reservations about it's suitability FOR ME - is the recollections of my first (and only) meeting with an Accordion . . . . .

Normally, I can play a keyboard without looking at the keys - for minutes on end . . . .

The translation in my brain from the Horizontal to the Vertical plane seemed to be a problem . . . .

I quite simply could NOT play the keys on the Accordion . . . .

Strange 8O So naturally, I wonder about laying a keybed (effectively) around a sphere . . . .

Additionally there's the question of keybed type . . . .

Piano weighted will doubtless fly in the face of what is possible weight-wise, let alone the technical implementation, in this guise?

(I guess, Piano-weighted relies too heavily on GRAVITY - which will NOT BE CONSTANT across the Revo's keybed . . . :? )

I guess I won't know 'til I try . . . :lol:

I think people felt similarly unsure about MicroSoft's "Ergonomic" keyboard with the curved and wavy surface . . . ?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “MIDI and Controller Keyboards”