UX16 MIDI TROUBLE BLUES

Anything to do with Midi. Controller Keyboards, Midi gear, software etc.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Re: UX16 MIDI TROUBLE BLUES

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Saul wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:36 pm
I think many of us forget how hard all this terminology is to understand if you are not familiar with it all. Just connecting something via USB can be a mystery for someone who only switches on the computer and checks email and browses the web. Also there are many different ways to explain something, personally I am what is known as a "Visual Learner". If I see something being done I understand it much easier than if I have to read about how to do it.

There is nothing wrong with using Studio One although as Michael mentioned if you want to do anything complex with it you might encounter problems with the lack of SysEx support but I don't think that is anything you need be concerned about at this stage of the game.

Anyway we will take it one step at a time and see how we get on.

What you said exactly. I am glad to see you are aware of this; it is similar with a concert pianist trying to explain complex time signatures to someone who knows nothing about music theory, and not seeing why the first time student is slow to catch up. I know very little music theory, only the bare minimums, but I know more than I know about computers, USBs, DAWs, music production etc. I have never been interested in any of these things, to be honest (bar the music theotry. It's daunting but fun) and exactly as you said, until about two years ago--when things soured between myself and a chap I used to work with (I did the creative bits; he did the production bits)--when I had no other recourse but to learn it myself, or wait for a producer/tech whiz to help me out of pure joy and for no charge to fall into my lap, and though I've got my head, hands, and a foot in the clouds being the chaotic creative type, I have one foot in the ground enough to be low on faith for the last option :lol: Before this, I used the computer for what you said--to browse the web and check my emails. I didn't even know what a folder was, I think. I am very happy I have come in contact with people like you, because it forces me to learn and improve, and as much as I can't say technology makes my heart beat faster like creative endeavours can, I have never regretted learning about it. I like to depend on myself for as much as I can, so a few learning curve-induced headaches are a small price to pay for that.

I also agree about the visual demonstrations being more conducive to learning than manuals. It's like driving a vehicle. For me, at least, I would remember easier a path to somewhere if I drove on it a few times than if I were just handed a map.

What complex things did you have in mind?

EDIT: Double post after I edit again. Can only the mods delete the first post? If so, please do, or tell me how I can for future reference. Also, note to myself: preview before posting typo-riddled messes!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:57 pm

There are loads of musicians out there, some very experienced indeed for whom the whole recording, tech side of things is always shrouded in a deep fog. Speaking for myself I know "something" about everything but not everything about everything...if you see what I mean? ;) Some things I know a lot about..acoustic guitars, computer tech, website hosting and so on and other things such as music theory which I know some basics of but I 99% play by ear. I "could" learn it but it would bore me to death.

You will be able to edit your posts soon it is just for new members there are always restrictions in order to cut down on spam on the forum.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
Belgium
jnm2

Unread post by jnm2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:07 am

The problem is, as far as I understand it, the UX16 MIDI connector has two lights; the red, indicating the driver is installed and it's working, and green, which should only light up if MIDI signal is being transmitted from keyboard to DAW. This is not the case. Both lights are on constantly, whether I play or not, only green is flashing ever so slightly.
As my English is not that good I just did a quick search for "Active Sensing" on the page... instead of reading all.
Active Sensing is not stated yet, so here it is : a lot of Yamaha synths do send the "Active Sensing" midi-signal. This signal is constantly and about every 300 mseconds, so most probably your PSR does send that too and makes both ligths of the UX16 burning constantly. That should not be a problem, but if there is any possability to turn Active Sensing off, the green LED wont ligth up constantly. Active Sensing does not interrupt other midi signals.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 am

The keyboard is probably sending MIDI clock signals as well. If you view the MIDI output coming from a keyboard using a utility program such as MIDI-OX, it’s perfectly normal to see a continuous stream of MIDI clock signals and Active Sensing signals. You can usually switch the keyboard between External Clock Off (which means it will use its own internal MIDI clock) and External Clock On (which means it will use any MIDI clock signals that it receives).
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm

@Saul: I see about the posts, thanks for clarifying that. I know something about some things, nothing about everything, and too much about nothing myself. :lol:

I hope you know there are better ways to exit this crazy world than death by music theory. I've been there myself; it doesn't bore me as much as frustrate me to suicidal edges, sometimes :lol: I haven't given up on it despite all frustrations yet, so I must be really into it.Playing by ear beats everything else, if you've got the talent and at least one person to testify that you really can play well outside of your mind :P
It's difficult to believe, but I have known a few people that have zero pitch. They can recognise and name a song, and hear the melody in their head, but by Jiggly, they cannot, for the life of them, sing it correctly. Tell them to sing 'Mary Had a little lamb', and they will muck it up. It's a grand laugh, if you're cruel. :twisted:

@jnm2: Any idea how to turn it off?

@SeaGtGruff: It used to send clock signals to SO like crazy, but I was advised to turn the MIDI CLOCK option off, so that's how I have that set at the moment.
Belgium
jnm2

Unread post by jnm2 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Xlyophonetic wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm
@jnm2: Any idea how to turn it off?
No, unless the manual sais how to, but I don't have that instrument ...
Many Yamaha synth have that active sensing.
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Alright, I'll go through the manual to see about that setting.

About the cables it's as I feared: they are non-existent in this backward ''country'' where nobody's ever heard of a DAW, and few of a USB cable. I can't order online, because the shipping costs are extortionate, and I am not paying (even if I could) 50$ or more to have a 5$ cable shipped. I looked in the supposedly most equipped tech stores here; there is still an off chance that I might find a cable like this in a smaller store.

I have managed to convince the Presonus tech chap to remote control my settings again, and I will tell him about this settings you have mentioned. This is the best chance I've got now, although I'd like those cables even if this one worked, just for safety (because UX16 works when it feels like working, and doesn't work when it doesn't feel like working. Yes, I believe the damned thing is sentient :lol: ), and to see where the problem is, so if I have a chance to visit any stores even farther away, I will.

Is there anything you suggest I mention to the tech support guy; anything vital to check, settings-wise? Your expertise is much appreciated.

I will keep you updated. I hope we get the thing running; last time we did, but only for awhile, so this is only a temporary solution.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:07 am

Yeah depends where you are but everything is pretty costly to post these days.

Did you try these guys https://musicmax.si they do MIDI cables. Of course that is only of particular use if you leave anywhere near Ljubljana. Most music stores should have MIDI cables though, even in Slovenia :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Slovenia
Xlyophonetic

Unread post by Xlyophonetic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 am

Yes, MUSICMAX is where I got some of my gear, and some off Ebay when the cost of it was greater than the shipping (and I was once-in-a-lifetime-lucky to get some fees returned that amounted to enough to afford it). You'd think they would have MIDI cables right, but apart from the one you mentioned, they have neither MIDI cables, nor interfaces. In fact, I was asked what a DAW was in every store but that one. The market for music production is not huge here; far from it. There are three or four professional studios (if that) in the whole country (and thus too expensive for non-professional to afford); other than that, there is a very, very small community of bedroom producers. There are no forums to find them online (there is one, but it is inactive for the most part), and in real life....well, let's just say from experience these are not people to be found in coffee shops or shopping malls (they are mole-like creatures mostly ensconced in their beedroom studios. I used to post ads online to find people to work with, but nobody was serious about it. I was given a few stores I can check, so I will check those when I go out next (late next week).

As for the remote session: the tech chap fixed the problem in less than a minute. I asked him why he had put me through the torture when he could have saved me the trouble and done this before, and he said that he wanted me to learn on my own and not rely on others, which is fair enough. I've got these settings screenshot now, in case they reset. Apparently some settings in SO had reset, as I had thought. I'll still get those cables, though, because he, too, said that those would be better.

So you can lock this thread now, if you'd like, but I have this forum bookmarked now if I ever run into any trouble, or just to discuss gear. Thank you all for your wonderful advice :)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 am

I am very happy to hear you got it sorted out and that it was just the settings in Studio One that were the issue.

We generally don't lock threads on this forum because even years later someone may come along who wants to add to the discussion or ask about something so it's all useful :)

Keep us posted on how you get on with your PSR and Studio One and remember, you can always ask any questions here no matter how simple or complex. All of us are very happy to help if we can :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “MIDI and Controller Keyboards”