EX5 Parts Resources?

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Wales
richhoo007

EX5 Parts Resources?

Unread post by richhoo007 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 am

Hi folks, glad to be a part of this group and communicate about my EX5. Recently acquired she's in need of some serious TLC. Prior owner told me just a couple of keys did not work but that was a drop in the bucket when she arrived! (see images). It made me sad that he did not disclose all these damages/details prior to shipping, but I'm more determined to try and get her back to former glory as much is possible. So - I've replaced about 6 keys successfully, and I'm working on potentiometers (2 appear to be non functioning). All these things are well within my capability and all other functionality appears to be good (most importantly) - its just bodywork now...
My challenge is sourcing parts. Does anyone have ANY recommendations, or parts themselves that could help me I'd be happy to pay for of course? I need both end caps most of all, and a single control knob. I have a volume slider on order - so got that at least. I'm keeping my eyes glued for a 'parts' unit of an EX5 of EX7 everywhere I can (I think they use same parts correct?), but if anyone has any leads... I'd sure appreciate it. In addition - what would be the best upgrades I could add to this EX5? I see a Flash Rom kit from guys in the UK that seems like a good start... adding SCSI option worth it? Just finding my way right now. This thing sounds so great!
Thanks all!
Attachments
IMG_8487.jpg
IMG_8488.jpg
IMG_8489.jpg
IMG_8492.jpg
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: EX5 Parts Resources?

Unread post by Derek » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 am

Hi.

Maybe that damage was sustained during shipping?

I cannot help source the parts you are after, but it would do no harm to try calling you nearest Yamaha country agent and ask for their spares dept. You never know they may still be carrying some parts until stock is exhausted
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Probably, Intact Case-Parts will be the hardest to find.

Try to find a "spares or repair" EX5 would not be a bad idea . . . .

Here's a couple of suppliers you probably already know about . . .

Individual parts DO exist, but due to the age of the EX5 - are often out of stock . . .

syntaur.com/yamaha_ex.html (BOTH end caps are OOS - for instance)

synth-parts.com/en/Keyboards/Yamaha/Yamaha-EX-series/Yamaha-EX5/

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by jima » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:37 pm

You should try Sontec (http://www.sontec.co.uk/parts). I found them very helpful when they sourced an LCD display and some bank switches for one of my EX5's. They apparently have access to Yamaha Europe spares inventory so if they can't get it probably nobody can.
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Wales
richhoo007

Unread post by richhoo007 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 am

Derek wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 am
Hi.

Maybe that damage was sustained during shipping?

I cannot help source the parts you are after, but it would do no harm to try calling you nearest Yamaha country agent and ask for their spares dept. You never know they may still be carrying some parts until stock is exhausted

Hi Derek, it was actually shipped this way. The packaging was quite good so this was definitely destruction PRIOR to ship. Still hurts though!
User avatar Wales
richhoo007

Unread post by richhoo007 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:52 am

parametric wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 pm
Probably, Intact Case-Parts will be the hardest to find.

Try to find a "spares or repair" EX5 would not be a bad idea . . . .

Here's a couple of suppliers you probably already know about . . .

Individual parts DO exist, but due to the age of the EX5 - are often out of stock . . .

syntaur.com/yamaha_ex.html (BOTH end caps are OOS - for instance)

synth-parts.com/en/Keyboards/Yamaha/Yamaha-EX-series/Yamaha-EX5/

Hope that helps

parametric
Thanks Parametric! I have looked at both of these. I'll keep checking in with them, but may be a LONG wait. I have seen a parts EX5 on Ebay in Hawaii, but all attempts to get them to send me or send pieces have been in vain so far.
User avatar Wales
richhoo007

Unread post by richhoo007 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:53 am

jima wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:37 pm
You should try Sontec (http://www.sontec.co.uk/parts). I found them very helpful when they sourced an LCD display and some bank switches for one of my EX5's. They apparently have access to Yamaha Europe spares inventory so if they can't get it probably nobody can.
Great thanks Jima! I will definitely give this a go. It makes me sad to see this amazing synth in this shape, and with the end caps and a little additional TLC she'd be back to good health! thanks again, R
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:07 am

Such a shame to see a keyboard like the EX5 in that state. I would have sent it back or at least negotiated a hefty discount!

We have a member on the forum who buys damaged keyboards and repairs the casings using the same techniques as you would for car body repair and when he's finished they look like new. So that is one road to go down, assuming you can't source the end caps.

Yamaha do carry a huge stock of spares going back decades, although of course as time moves on those stocks are dwindling. Also as Jima mentioned, in the UK at least most of the spares have been moved to a third party to deal with and I would imagine it is the same in the states and elsewhere. Always worth a try though.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar United States of America
DevonB

Unread post by DevonB » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Within the last few weeks I also bought a EX5. Sadly, it too was damaged in transit on the back right endcap. I did call Yamaha for the right end cap. Its part # is VY870400. It's not available from Yamaha anymore. I also contacted my local Yamaha authorized repair facility. They too could not source the part from several of their vendors they typically get parts from. Thankfully mine is mostly a small chip the size of your pinky fingernail and a crack that goes up the side about 3 inches or so. The power switch is a bit finicky to get it to latch, but not sure if that was from the drop damage or just age. Otherwise, this unit was in gorgeous shape (outside of a lot of DUST!) I bought this to replace my W5, and oh man, am I glad I did! The sounds in this are FANTASTIC! I haven't touched this board since probably 1999 at Mars Music, and forgot how good it sounded. Significantly better sounding than the W5 more 'gm-flavored' presets.

Good luck on finding the chassis. Thought I'd share my experience at least.

Devon
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:53 pm

The EX5 is still awesome in sound and such a shame you have a damaged case. I sold my two EX5 boards in 2017, but had to ensure I had an EX5R first to keep the sound in the studio
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
cangus

Unread post by cangus » Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 pm

hi rich

I have an EX7 whose main board has recently died. l believe the end caps etc and many of the parts are the same

drop me line if you’re still looking for parts and I’ll send u some pics

chris
cangus

Unread post by cangus » Sat May 11, 2019 7:38 am

alternatively- if anyone has an ex7 main board - I’d be super interested
cangus

Unread post by cangus » Tue May 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Am in the process of parting out an EX7.

If you have any need for Yamaha EX7 Parts please let me know.

Thanks

Chris
User avatar Wales
richhoo007

Unread post by richhoo007 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 am

As an update to everyone who assisted here... I want to send a huge shout out to Dr Chris Angus! He hooked me up with the end caps and a few other parts I needed and, after a long journey through the UK and over to me in the USA, they are now installed and have given my EX5 a reason to live! I had to do repairs to about 5 keys also, but now everything is looking good and sounding wonderful across the board!
The sounds are terrific on the EX5 and I feel very happy to own one. Now... onto scratch repair and upgrades! ;)
IMG_9845.jpeg
IMG_9845.jpeg (201.26 KiB) Viewed 508 times
IMG_9848.jpeg
IMG_9848.jpeg (161.38 KiB) Viewed 508 times
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:09 am

Thanks for the update Rich. Always great to hear about people helping each other out and of course to hear that another EX5 has been brought back to life in the process.

The EX5 was, in my opinion and most others, exactly what MOTIF should have been. In fact you could reasonably jump straight from the EX5 to Montage and forget about MOTIF altogether.

Here's to many more years with your EX5 (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer

Return to “Yamaha EX5 Forum - Also covers the EX7”