How to replace the display in an EX5

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

How to replace the display in an EX5

Unread post by jima » Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 am

This is the first draft of the display replacement process for an EX5 (and perhaps an EX7). I really wanted something with more textual annotation capability for Lightroom Web but this will have to do for now after all - quick and adequate beats never and perfect :) I may also produce a PDF version which can be lodged here at YM for posterity.

In essence, we go from this:
P4251454.jpg
to this:
P4291480.jpg
by doing this:

Remove base assembly
Remove the DM pcb
Remove the PLS pcb
Remove the backlight brackets and move backlight to one side
Remove spacer
Remove LCD and replace
Reverse steps to re-assemble

You can see the illustrated steps by visiting my web site here.

Parts required: a new LCD which you can acquire from Sontec and a 12-pin PH 2.0mm header. I bought a pack of 5 from a seller on a well-known auction site but they are common enough to come from most any good electronic parts shop. You will of course need a needle point soldering iron and some soldering skills or a friend who has them. The part number for the LCD is WC53530R (a supercession from the original). This part is apparently also specified for Motif 6 and 7.

Sorry if you need to do this as it means you broke your display but by doing so I brought an EX5 back from the dead which I originally bought to break for spares. Time to get the flash-RAM fitted and now that I can see what's going on it's time for diagnostics!
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to replace the display in an EX5

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 02, 2018 12:45 pm

Nice job Jim, thanks for sharing :) Do you know if any other type of display might work, OLED for example?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Cayman Islands
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by jima » Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks, Saul. I don't know at the moment but I'll take a look and see if I can spot anything others far wiser than me may have missed :)

I'm tangled up in the diagnostics at the moment now that I can run them and see the result. The Scene 2 switch is a failure so the diags on that part won't go any further but I think I may have located a UK-sourced replacement part for it and my friends at Sontec are being most helpful as well. I'll be publishing this as a replacement guide as well in due course then I'll take a look at the display circuits.
Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks Jim. I'm just thinking it would look so much nicer with an OLED display, almost modern in fact. I know it's just cosmetic but with these older synths it's nice to do something to bring them up to date.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Wed May 02, 2018 8:52 pm

These old displays can look a bit old hat compared to the new ones. It depends on the synth and controller of course. You probably stand more of a chance with a pure dot matrix display, although I recollect from memory that EX5_Etc looked at it for the EX5 and could not find a suitable model due to the controller chip in use?

And for some synths like the AN1x and FS1r where the displays appear to be custom made for the synth, then you are stuck, which is a worry if ever they failed as if Yamaha do not carry spares then you are stuffed unless you get a donor synth for parts.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk

Return to “Yamaha EX5 Forum - Also covers the EX7”