How to replace the Scene/Octave switches in an EX5

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

How to replace the Scene/Octave switches in an EX5

Unread post by jima »

This is the first draft of the replacement process for the Scene and Octave switches in an an EX5 (and perhaps an EX7). The same technique will no doubt work on an EX5R but the process will be different.
P5101511.JPG
P5101513.JPG
In essence the steps involved are:

Remove base assembly
Detach the MIDI pcb and move it to one side
Remove the JKDA audio pcb
Remove the JKDA support bracket
Remove the PNS pcb
Replace the defective switch(es)
Reverse steps to re-assemble

You can see the illustrated steps by visiting my web site here.

Parts required: new switches which you can either acquire from Sontec or a compatible equivalent I located from RS Components. I have detailed the manufacturer and their part number if you need to source from local suppliers. I bought a pack of 5 from a RS which worked perfectly and found them both cheaper and quicker than parts sourced by Sontec from Germany although that remains an option if you are want to keep original spec parts. You will of course need a needle point soldering iron and some soldering skills or a friend who has them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: How to replace the Scene/Octave switches in an EX5

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks Jim. These guides are invaluable ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.