EX5 Adjusting AfterTouch How?

The EX5 features a unique Extended Synthesis system which incorporates a number of advanced tone generator technologies. AWM2, AN, FDSP and VL. The EX5 is one of the best keyboard Yamaha ever produced.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

vidguy
Location.: Canada

EX5 Adjusting AfterTouch How?

Unread post by vidguy »

I've yet another EX5 Question.
I love the keybed, and have been using it as a master controller for my other gear, and it's working well.
However I have a new toy, Roland FA06. (Terrible, plastic build quality, hate the keybed, LIKE the screen, like the sequencer, LOVE the sounds.) Think JV-5080 with SRX cards, plus the Integra's SN-S VA-type sounds., very, very tweakable.
I think of this keyboard as a cheaper Integra Module/Sequencer, and plan on using it that way.

I've gotten my Korg to play nice with it, as I can calibrate and adjust AfterTouch on the M3.

The Yamaha, however does not get along well with the Roland, AfterTouch is far too extreme and causes very unpleasant sounds. I've looked for a setting to adjust, or even turn off aftertouch, but I can't find one.
Yes, I know I can edit the patches on the Roland, however I do want some aftertouch, and I've gotten it working very well with the M3, as Korg's done a very nice job of setting keybed response, if it was a 73 key version, I'd be set.
I need to be able to adjust it on the Yamaha.

Anyone have any ideas. If I can't get the EX5 to work, I'll have to look for a 76 key synth action controller that will.

EXer

Re: EX5 Adjusting AfterTouch How?

Unread post by EXer »

You can adjust the depth, offset and curve of every controller, including the AT, in the UTILITY menu.

EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT
jima
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: West Midlands, UK.

Unread post by jima »

IIRC there is also a pot on the keyboard circuitry internally but that entails opening her up. ISTR turning mine down a bit as too hot when I did the OS. Diagnostics also carry an after-touch section I think, haven't looked there for a while but may be the first place to start to get some analytics.

Jim
Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
vidguy
Location.: Canada

Unread post by vidguy »

EXer wrote:You can adjust the depth, offset and curve of every controller, including the AT, in the UTILITY menu.
I found velocity adjustments, but nothing specific for Aftertouch..., or at least something I can recognize (like a field labeled "AT" or such)

In any case I'll look again.

Atlsynth
Location.: USA land of the lost

Unread post by Atlsynth »

In edit mode for voice. EDIT-CTRL-SET You'll see 'set' at far right. cursor to AT then go down and choose destination and depth. Depth is really the only setting I've seen for AT. i only found it today. Recently bought 2 of these beasts.
oh damn just noticed the 'year' of this post. Sorry. Well always helps the next guy. I just saw APR 29. I'm old.

DKDiveDude

Unread post by DKDiveDude »

The more I use my EX5, the more I dislike and regret I bought it for use as my master keyboard to play my 20+ other synths many rack/desktop modules.

1) I have to edit each performance patch to set MIDI transmit channel. Yes I mix and layer in sound from EX5 performance patches with my other synth sounds. I would have loved to see an overall MIDI setting in the Utility menu.
2) Aftertouch for me is WAY to sensitive! And again there seems no way to turn off or adjust sensitivity overall in the Utility menu. I have to go to Voice Edit for EACH freaking patch! Wow Yamaha really! BTW the manual index does NOT include a reference to aftertouch!
3) There is the button to hold/latch a key, arpeggio or not?

Atlsynth as I too have a problem when using the EX5 to play my Roland rack synths with, I wanted to adjust the aftertouch sensitivity or even turn it off. I followed your instructions above, Voice Edit, and although I found the settings and both tried to set "AT Depth" to zero and turn it off, it made absolutely no change at all playing the same voice I just edited!