Connect a CS2x to another synth...

Section for users of the CS1x and it's bigger brothers.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

BlackMaskAttacks

Connect a CS2x to another synth...

Unread post by BlackMaskAttacks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:25 pm

I got a Roland Fantom back home. Now I want to use the Fantom as a master keyboard to control the CS2X. I want to take sounds from the CS to use when I´m sequencing on my Fantom. How do I prepare the CS so that the Fantom can read the midi??
Advertisement
Ultimate Vocal Library
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Connect a CS2x to another synth...

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi BlackMaskAttacks,
Welcome to the Forums! If I understand you correctly you will use the Fantom as master, use the sequencer on the Fantom and essentially use the CS2X as a sound module. The transmit channels on the Fantom need to be the same as the receive channels on the CS2X, the CS2X will need to have the proper sound/sounds responding to the correct midi channels. You should be able to adjust these settings in some sort of utility function on both synths. Note I have never used either synth, so the actual methods may be a little different than the general info I gave you based on my use of other synths. Let us know if you have further questions.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
BlackMaskAttacks

Unread post by BlackMaskAttacks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:15 pm

I saw on youtube a guy who connected the Fantom to a Motif. The sound on the Motif had a sort of code called "program change number". With that number he could program the chosen midichannel on the Fantom I thought that maybe the performance sounds on the CS2X had some sort of code to...
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm

All synths use a program change number, that is simply the midi code that is transmitted or received to tell a synth which sound to go to. That has nothing to do with which midi channel the synths are transmitting or receiving on. Perhaps you need to educate yourself further on what exactly midi is and how it works, http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_st ... _midi.html this site will give you a good basic course in what midi is and how it works.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
BlackMaskAttacks

Unread post by BlackMaskAttacks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah. I´m a newbie in the world of recording and sequencing...I will read that...

I think there are some hope. I can now controll the CS from the Fantom. But it doesn´t sound anything yet.
I´m gonna look over the Fantom to. Maybe I´l have to do some system changing...

Return to “Yamaha CS1/2/6 X Series”