Yamaha DS55 Issue...

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

stalvs

Yamaha DS55 Issue...

Unread post by stalvs » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:07 am

Hello,

I just registered yesterday at Yamaha Forums. I am very pleased to find this site since I use a huge FM machines today.

So let's go... I have an oldie Yamaha DS55. It sound very much like a TX81z or a DX11. 200 preset + 100 user preset, delay, 5 octaves touch sensitive, plastic case, etc, etc.
I got it recently (I found it at a rehearsal room hahaha). So I decided to restore it. I replace some broken keys and put a new CR2032 backup battery.
I turned on the synth and all went fine... Until I decide to play some complex chords.

Yes. The synth work fine if I press 1 to 3 simultaneous keys. In fact, the first 8 keys I press sound fine. The problem is when I still play more notes. Then the synth since to be a 3 note polyphonic or so.
This problem appears to when I play de inside DEMOS. They sound very bad (well, the demos are horrible) but again only sound 3 notes at a time and there are too some strange delays, etc, etc.

Maybe it need a hard reset but I couldn't find the RESET procedure. Or maybe it has an issue. I looked inside and all is well connected.

Any idea? :-)

Best regards and sorry for my bad English level. I am from Spain and this is always a handicap hahaha.

Chema

My Yamaha synths today: DS55, FB01, TX81z, DX7 MK1, CX5MII/128, MO6, CS1x, SU10
stalvs

Re: Yamaha DS55 Issue...

Unread post by stalvs » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Of course... I tried always in SINGLE mode. The issue remains there. I can't play more than 3 simultaneous notes. As far as I know the manual doesn't tell anything about the reset procedure.

I used the DS55 from years until I sold it. Then I found this new unit but... It doesn't work properly. Maybe a reset can help...

Best regards,
Chema
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:36 am

Also if your DS55 is midied into your system, make sure you don't have a midi loop creating extra notes taking you beyond the 8 note limit. Software could be taking midi in signals and echoing out the same notes to the synth, that can be solved by changing software setting within your computer software, sometimes midi loops get set up accidentially by how you have set up the midi cables. Or you may simply have an issue with the synth.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
stalvs

Unread post by stalvs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:07 am

Thank you very much. I will load this bank and try. About Midi loops and answering the Clyde's message, I am testing the keyboard with no more cables than audio. The bad things about this Ds55 is no existing support around there... I am wondering... Anybody had this synth???. Is it really a Yamaha synth? Hahaha.

Best regards,
Chema
User avatar United States of America
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:42 am

There are users that have reviewed it and talked about it in some internet forums. As far as support, most companies don't provide support for products that are five years old, much less one that is 20+ years old. And actually Yamaha has a good track record of supporting older legacy gear, you can still find some parts going back to the original DX7 from 1983.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Lane.Troll

Unread post by Lane.Troll » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi,

this may help, it helped for me after changing the battery...use factory set

Press the following keys in this order and keep them pressed:
1. Tune
2. Store
3. Start/stop
4. Select
5. 0 (for manual mode, 1 for automatic test mode)

You get into selftest mode!

Now you can choose

1. Ram memory
2. Battery (3.1 V for full battery)
3. Left channel
4. Right channel
5. LCD test
6. LED test
7. Pitch bend range 0-99 (move the wheel)
8. Modulation range 0-99 (move the wheel)
9. Sustain plug 0/1 (plug in and out the plug of the sustain pedal)
10. Sustain pedal 0/1 (tap the sustain pedal)
11. Foot volume 0-99 (tap the FC pedal)
12. Breath control (breath into the controler and pull the plug)
13. Keyboard test (tap every key of the keyboard from left to right)
14. Knob test (tap every other knobs)
15. Midi
16. Tone generator test (all 8 generators are tested)
17. Factory set (overwrites the USER bank with bank A)
18. Exit self test

I hope the complete infomation are usefull for other DS55 users....
Netherlands
Amalgam

Unread post by Amalgam » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Hello everybody. This is my first post here, and I would like to know whether it is difficult to replace broken keys. A few won't go up again when playing, which is annoying (but not surprising).
Any helpful advise would be much appreciated.
entropismo

Unread post by entropismo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Hello I had exactly the same problem than stalvs after changing the battery with my recently adquired DS55, even connecting an external midi keyboard I was able to play only 4 same notes on each octave. Also a problem with the user bank sounds, was corrupted with strange behaviour.
But following the steps posted by Lane.Troll to make the factory reset solved all the problems. Was amazing! and Im very pleased about that solution, thank you very much.
I boght this keyboard for 50€ in a Cash Converters before a long trip to return to Madrid from Malaga. The original price was 90, but they make an offer for the problem of the battery :D . When I arrived Madrid I was waiting to my girlfriend with my new and easy fixable FM synth and then came a guy in a BMX bike so faster that make me throw the keyboard to the bloor (also next to me was a girl having a drink and he make her throw her drink... he continued faster and didn't say sorry or anything :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I get angry, very angry: 12 keys broken with plastic and metal parts arround the floor... fortunately with epoxy, taylor needles (they are good substitutes od the plastic tops for the little metal sheets that acts as a spring under each ds55 key), and a lot of patience I'm close to let the synth almost new.

I wanted to post this because there wasn´t any answer about de succesfulness of the fixing proposal. And sry for my english!
Netherlands
Amalgam

Unread post by Amalgam » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:52 pm

@Entropismo: How did you manage to reveal the keybed so you could fix the broken keys?
Last year I did manage to replace an empty battery, but the keybed problem seems to be a very difficult one. How did you take that thing out?
Stroppychild

Unread post by Stroppychild » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Did you find out how to replace the DS55 keys. I have a broken one, have got a replacement and the spring but cant see how to get to the keyboard when i take the back off. Did you find a youtube clip or workshop manual, I could really do with some help.
Thanks
Netherlands
Amalgam

Unread post by Amalgam » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Nope, I never found out how to do it. Searched all over youtube for anything helpful or informative. Guess no one knows, or cares to share the know-how. You're lucky having just one broken key, I have five.
Netherlands
Amalgam

Unread post by Amalgam » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Where do I find information about how to replace/fix broken keys? I still don't know how to get access to the keybed base. I have closely examined the inside of this instrument, but it seems there's an awful lot of screws to remove. 50? 60? Is it really nescessary to meticulously disassemble the DS55 in order to fix those damned keys?
Any advise or instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Gregory

Unread post by Gregory » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Perhaps there is a sense, see the service manual for Yamaha DX11. They are very similar.
Here theme repair Yamaha DS55 keyboard (in Russian).
Netherlands
Amalgam

Unread post by Amalgam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:06 pm

Finally, after five years of waiting I’ve managed to solve the broken keys problem. My DS55 had 5 malfunctioning keys because of metal strips underneath them having come loose. The solution came from a keybed from an YS200. I kept that part, as I had to discard the keyboard, after it died on me when a soldering job went wrong.
As sad as that was, as good it was to find out that the keybed of the YS200 is compatible with the DS55. That is, the keys are compatible, not the board that holds them together.
The second factor of the solution was “a deep breath”, namely assembling the courage to unscrew the DS55 in an attempt to reach the keybed and finding out how to take out those damned “broken keys”. There was a chance of screwing up the DS 55 during the process, but fortunately it didn’t end as bad as with the YS 200. I could dislodge the bad keys carefully with a butter knife, replacing them with YS 200 keys. Once that was done I meticulously put all the screws back into place. For each group of screws I had a separate holder in order not to get confused.
So then, after a while I had the DS complete and the keybed was all okidoki again!
Glad it works again. And to be honest, that YS 200 was very ugly anyway. Those easy edit knobs always seemed like loose molars to me.

Return to “Yamaha DX & TX Forum”