DX7 LCD upgrade question 1602a pins

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

FusionDP
Location.: USA

DX7 LCD upgrade question 1602a pins

Unread post by FusionDP »

Hello all -

I'm new here. I recently picked up a very beat-up DX7. I've taken it apart, cleaned everything out & fixed a couple of keys that had been knocked out. It looks like it belonged to a high school band, so I'm sure you can imagine the dirt/wear.

Anyway, the screen was semi-functional but I figured I'd just replace it rather than try to fix it. I picked up a 1602A screen that I guess is used for Arduino projects, but I was told is pin-compatible with the DX7's screens - the only difference is the last 2 pins on the 1602A are ground and +5V power for the backlight.

My question is (and keep in mind I know nothing about things like soldering or electronics) how do I supply it with the correct voltage and ground?

I saw on the diagram of the DX7 there's an unused connector, C6, that has a +5v. Could I use that and then just run the ground to one of the ground wires on the case? If not, is there a good/proven method for making this connection?

Thank you!

Paul Griswold