DX7 mk1 Membrane replacement

This section is for all variants of the Yamaha DX series. DX1/DX100/DX11/DX21/DX27/DX27S/DX5/ DX7/DX7IID/DX7IIFD/DX7S/DX9/TX81Z/TX7

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

m74uk

Re: DX7 mk1 Membrane replacement

Unread post by m74uk »

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve added them in

First mock up and trial fit to the keyboard.
A couple of adjustments to make but overall quite happy.

Quite liking the colours but once I’ve fine tuned the positions I’m going to change the colours to the actuals as best as I can.

Fonts aren’t exactly the same but close enough and slightly different enough to bring a modern feel to it.

Still debating wether to leave the Memory Cartridge text on it or not.

Won’t be able to get any mock ups made until after the lockdown I expect

Feedback welcome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m74uk on Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit Tree Studio
Kropjesla

Unread post by Kropjesla »

this looks great! good work
we might even debate on the red color of the storebutton. why not make it blue or brown to fit the rest of the colors?

let me know what your take is on that.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Unread post by parametric »

I really applaud you guys for getting this project together ((i))

SO MUCH in here is to do with maintaining these old venerable boards and prolonging their lives, that it makes this

such a worthwhile project.

With the new CLEAR lettering, it'll be much like having a new instrument and make navigating, a joy (again) . . .

I guess there will always be the arguments for keeping it "original", but WHY NOT experiment with new colours?

If it make things even more visible - so much the better surely?

As for the colours themselves - I don't know if "Pantone" was around when these were made - so it's probably difficult

to determine what the original colours actually were? THAT is probably DEEP in Yamahas Archives, if known . . . :roll:

It's this sort of endeavour that marks this forum out from all the others . . . .

(Y)

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
FailedMuso

VIP

Unread post by FailedMuso »

parametric wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:31 amAs for the colours themselves - I don't know if "Pantone" was around when these were made - so it's probably difficult to determine what the original colours actually were? THAT is probably DEEP in Yamahas Archives, if known . . . :roll:
The last paragraph of this article might be of some interest... ;)

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/design/synapses/id_009/

Rob Puricelli
FAILEDMUSO.COM SOS Podcasts
Freelance Music Technologist, Writer, Podcaster, Consultant & Fairlight Restoration
Kropjesla

Unread post by Kropjesla »

Hello DX-enthousiasts,

it has been some time, and I was wondering how you all are doing? are we still up for this project?

grantb5

Unread post by grantb5 »

Kropjesla wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:45 am this looks great! good work
we might even debate on the red color of the store button. why not make it blue or brown to fit the rest of the colors?

let me know what your take is on that.
I think the LOAD and SAVE button text should be a different color from the rest of the FUNCTION buttons text. Although one presses the FUNCTION button to use them, they are quite different in HOW they work. For one, they don't replace the active function that has already been selected. That is, the other Function buttons change the Function to the new button press. The Load/Store INTERRUPT the current function, but then that function returns after the load and store are complete. So they are only temporary states. As far as I know anyway. :)

FusionDP
Location.: USA

Unread post by FusionDP »

I'm new here and joined specifically because of this thread.

I recently purchased a very rough DX7 and the button area is wrecked. I had looked into custom printed membrane switch stickers but didn't see any prices listed on any sites so I assumed it was going to be more than what the keyboard is worth.

Is anyone making them or does anyone have a lead on a reasonably priced shop that can print 1 or 2 of these at a time?

Thanks!

Paul