USB-A to WX Extension Cable?

This section covers the WX5/WX7/WX11

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Enkerli
Canada

USB-A to WX Extension Cable?

Unread post by Enkerli » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 am

Hello all!

Longterm WX11 owner. Really enjoy using it with a bunch of software instruments. (Got limited success with a TX81Z and other hardware synths.)

Been dreaming of diverse ways to use that wind controller, especially in a compact setup (say, in a jam session).

Works rather well with an iOS device using a USB-MIDI converter, once you use CC#2 to modulate the cutoff frequency of a low-pass filter. But that’s still a lot of cabling, what with the BT7, the USB-MIDI adapter, and even the Lightning-to-USB adapter. Typically been using the BT7 with the AC adapter, so that’s even more cabling.

After playing on a Raspberry Pi with the pisound HAT (plugged on the BT7’s 5-pin MIDI DIN), got into thinking about how sweet a setup it could be if we could use a single cable between the Pi and the WX11. After all, USB can transmit both power and MIDI. Since the BT7 (and WW-Bat) can be battery powered, maybe the USB-A connector would send enough power?

Noticed that @cloudburst has been testing some of these things.

My skills in electronic tinkering are really rudimentary, but some local friends (in Ottawa or Montreal) could probably help me if they knew what needs to be done.
Recently got a second WX11. The 8vb key (one octave lower) on my original device has been finicky. Could possibly experiment a bit with that one, though losing it would still be sad.

Thanks for your help!

— Alex
cloudburst

Re: USB-A to WX Extension Cable?

Unread post by cloudburst » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:18 pm

I may try a Yamaha MD-BT01 (which I have) to Bluetooth enable the BT7 and try to control the ROLI Seaboard 5D app on my iPad wirelessly. I haven’t bothered before now, as I tend to just use my VL-70m with my WX7 due to the patches being designed for breath control and expression. If someone could recommend some breath-oriented synths on iOS then this could be a great solution to make the WX truly wireless for some real freedom on stage.

CB
Converting fuel to noise since 1982.
Enkerli
Canada

Unread post by Enkerli » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Magellan is a cool one (also works in Magellan Jr.), with free patches made to work directly:
http://wx5.blog2.fc2.com/blog-entry-426.html
Same thing with Thor (iPad-only):
http://wx5.blog2.fc2.com/blog-entry-448.html

Otherwise, it’s quite trivial to adapt other patches by sending CC#2 to filter cutoff on a low-pass filter (and/or volume/expression control). Been using things like ThumbJam (which accepts CC#2 directly), iWavestation, iProphet, Animoog, and a bunch of others. You can hear some of the results on my Soundcloud profile (though they’re really unpolished). https://soundcloud.com/enkerli
cloudburst

Unread post by cloudburst » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:29 pm

As promised above, I tested a really portable wireless solution today - and it works like a dream. This is an easy way of making your WX7 mobile and having fresh air between you and your sound module. Just hang the BT7 round your neck and off you go.

I have a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI adapter plugged into my BT7. And Roli Seaboard 5D synth on my iPad. That's it.

Note that the BT7 only starts to supply power out of its MIDI-OUT DIN once the WX7 is plugged in. Only one end of the adapter needs to be plugged into anything as you see in the photo.

See the photo for the simplicity of the entire setup.

CB

Converting fuel to noise since 1982.
AndyHornBlower
Great Britain

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Enkerli wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 am
After playing on a Raspberry Pi with the pisound HAT (plugged on the BT7’s 5-pin MIDI DIN), got into thinking about how sweet a setup it could be if we could use a single cable between the Pi and the WX11. After all, USB can transmit both power and MIDI. Since the BT7 (and WW-Bat) can be battery powered, maybe the USB-A connector would send enough power?
It can't be done with just wiring - there has to be a CPU involved, translating between USB-MIDI and real (man sized) 5 pin DIN MIDI.

The USB cable isn't carrying actual MIDI signals, it's carrying packets of encoded information, that contain chunks of MIDI data as numbers, not as a chunky signal that can power an LED in an optoisolator, with a few mA.

It would be possible to make a new box that combined the functions of the BT7 and the USB-MIDI converter you're using, but it's not trivial. You could just get a tupperware box, cut some holes in it and put both of those inside. That would do it :)
jnm2
Belgium

Unread post by jnm2 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 am

@cloudburst thanks for this !
cloudburst wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:29 pm
I have a Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI adapter plugged into my BT7. And Roli Seaboard 5D synth on my iPad. That's it.
If I get this all correct then we only need a small device (and cheaper than a iPad) that can recieve the bluetooth data from a Yamaha MD-BT01 and send out just the midi data to whatever instrument connected ?
Like a VL-70m or MU with VL-card or ...
Maybe for example a Raspberry PI Zero or whatever thing that use low power and is able to dot this ?

I wonder why this doesn't exist yet, or does it ?
Enkerli
Canada

Unread post by Enkerli » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 am

Speaking of WX cables… Frank Wilems was able to hack a WX5 to send both CV and MIDI.
Apparently, he was also able to make a USB-A connection to replace a BT7 battery pack.
Might try to get local help to do something similar with a WX11. Just wish Yamaha were still updating their wind controller lineup. We’re probably too small of a niche to matter to the corporation, but there’s a few pieces of the breathy synth puzzle which are still missing.
Enkerli
Canada

Unread post by Enkerli » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:16 am

jnm2 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 am
Maybe for example a Raspberry PI Zero or whatever thing that use low power and is able to dot this ?
There’s a lot the Raspberry Pi can do, but Bluetooth MIDI is rather hard for any Linux device.
AndyHornBlower
Great Britain

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:41 am

Maybe you see something different, as a FaceBook user, but all I see is a box with this message in it:

"This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed, or the privacy settings of the post may have changed."

Where was the CV taken from? The lip sensor?

Return to “Yamaha Wind Controllers”