New DAW build - a mini saga - episode 5.

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New DAW build - a mini saga - episode 5.

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:00 pm

A few weeks ago I finally made up my mind and decided to (re)build myself a PC to run Finale 26 and the latest version of Cakewalk (once SONAR).

It's not been a year I think, since I rather reluctantly upgraded to Win 7 pro inside a used Lenovo Thinkpad T420 laptop.
It's an i5 machine with 8GB of memory, a 128GB eSATA card in it, and a fast (7200rpm) 1TB HDD.
I'm not displeased with it at all, but it just falls short of my needs.
I shall continue to use it as my main Internet connect machine and for messing about with.

In this first part of my mini saga I shall outline what my needs are and continue with the build in further episodes.
Who knows, there may be another denizen of the forum with a similar requirement to mine.

BTW, when I write DAW, I don't mean DAW software, I mean a Digital Audio Workstation.

Episode One
So, just what is it I do, and how does that dictate my needs for a computer to work with?

Perhaps differently from the majority of members of this forum, I take orchestral scores, re-notate them using Finale, and then attempt to convert them to orchestral backing tracks. The purpose of the backing tracks is for my wife, and others, to either perform or rehearse to.

In order to realise this I use a fair number of orchestral sample libraries.
Orchestras tend to be fairly large in their use of a wide variety of different instruments.
There may be a dozen, or more, various kinds of woodwinds, flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons and their lower frequency cousins, cor anglais, bass clarinets, contra bassoons and so forth. This set of instruments needs one instance (at least) of a sample player sitting in memory. Including all the samples this player might need 2 GB of memory allocated to it.

Then there's a similar requirement for the brass. Trumpets; French horns, trombones, etc.
Ditto for the strings.
Then there's orchestral percussion to add.
Not to mention harp, glockenspiel and other tuned percussion, myabe even an organ.
Last, but not least, there's the piano.
A good, well sampled piano can add another 2GB to the already considerable total I've accumulated above.

If we allow 2GB for each of the above sample players we soon find we've arrived at 12GB.
So a safe amountof memory is probably around 16GB.
My little T420 is limited to a maximum of 8GB so it falls short of the "grand requirement"!
----------------------------
End of episode one.

Next episode, choosing a replacement for the T420.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar United States of America
seanmichaels

Re: New DAW build - a mini saga.

Unread post by seanmichaels » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Sample libraries, especially orchestral ones, can run up a lot of system RAM as you say! My PC isn't the greatest either as it's only an i5. How do I get around it? I print (or bounce) tracks as soon as they are ready before moving on to the next part. For example, say I'm working on the string section. As soon as I have the section of music done, I can then print it down to audio and then disable the VST dedicated to the string section. I also keep a copy of the MIDI just in case I need to come back to it later. I can also add more string parts later on if needed.
User avatar Kiribati
tux

Unread post by tux » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 pm

@SysExJohn: why don't you use hardware synths? then the needs for all that processing power and RAM falls away. Your two MU1000 should be perfectly up to the task of producing backing tracks for your wife.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:31 am

John, I’d say if building such a beast then get as much RAM as you can afford as memory needs only ever go up! But does your current sample library do sample streaming? That drastically reduces memory needs as you only need the start of a sample in memory to cover the delay of starting to stream samples. If yes then back to the project, if no then maybe a streaming sample library is more cost effective on your current hardware
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks guys for the responses, Sean, Tux and Derek,

Sean, yes, I'm in the throes of learning how to freeze tracks in Cakewalk (ex Sonar) to create backing tracks.
The problem with these, as people will know who have had to back a professional singer, their interpretation is not a frozen in time thing.
Notes are sometimes held in performance, and an orchestral conductor will watch the singer closely to synchronise the orchestra to the singer.
I would like my tracks to be similarly "agile" where I can pause playback at a fermata, and slow down or speed up as necesary.
The program that allows this is called MIDImaestro MM4. Now, sadly, no loger updated or maintained. (There's a Yahoo Group.)

Tux, no, the MU1000 and various PLG cards falls a LONG WAY short of what I'm trying to achieve.
Some of the sounds are, it's true, quite reasonable but I could never get the kind of expression I wanted out of the MU. 8O
I tried for quite some time to write MIDI files that would do the trick, to no avail. :oops:
That's why I eventually moved over entirely to VSTi's.

Derek, quite right. But my desires and the ability of my wallet to keep up with them are, sadly, two entirely different things!
I'm a good few years into retirement and although I have an extra company pension, it's nowhere near big enough to fund my love of audio technology. :) :(
Yes, the sample players I use do do streaming, but when one is loading a full sixteen channels of samples into each instance, one still needs a Gigabyte or two to hold each initial note sample. Here's an example of the player with various woodwinds loaded.
(I think it was for rendering an aria from Rusalka.)
Woodwind.jpg
Next episode in preparation.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar United States of America
seanmichaels

Unread post by seanmichaels » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm

SysExJohn wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am
Sean, yes, I'm in the throes of learning how to freeze tracks in Cakewalk (ex Sonar) to create backing tracks.
The problem with these, as people will know who have had to back a professional singer, their interpretation is not a frozen in time thing.
Notes are sometimes held in performance, and an orchestral conductor will watch the singer closely to synchronise the orchestra to the singer.
I would like my tracks to be similarly "agile" where I can pause playback at a fermata, and slow down or speed up as necesary.
The program that allows this is called MIDImaestro MM4. Now, sadly, no loger updated or maintained. (There's a Yahoo Group.)
That is a bit of a conundrum! Guess a powerhouse of a computer would be your best friend here!

Side note: have you heard of East West Composer Cloud? I currently am subscribed to it and I get access to a ton of orchestral sample libraries for an affordable monthly cost. The reason I bring it up is their sample engine: Play VST.

It's not the greatest sampler known to man, but you are able to set up one instance of the plugin and create as many instruments inside of it and route MIDI to one instance. This might be a way to save system resources if they become an issue. Just a thought! :violin:
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 pm
That is a bit of a conundrum! Guess a powerhouse of a computer would be your best friend here!

Side note: have you heard of East West Composer Cloud? I currently am subscribed to it and I get access to a ton of orchestral sample libraries for an affordable monthly cost. The reason I bring it up is their sample engine: Play VST.

It's not the greatest sampler known to man, but you are able to set up one instance of the plugin and create as many instruments inside of it and route MIDI to one instance. This might be a way to save system resources if they become an issue. Just a thought! :violin:
Yup, I do have the Gold Orchestra, but have to say I really struggled with the PLAY sample player in the early days.
That's maybe five years ago.
I also bought the choir, but again found it really hard to get the phrase maker and PLAY to work together.
Many, many wasted hours with zero results.
So much so, as did others, that I finally gave up on it.
Support, at that time, was lousy, not to put too fine a point on it.
I understand that it's much more stable now. But ... once bitten ... !

I then migrated to a lower cost alternative, GPO4, and later upgraded to GPO5 when that came out.
They require quite a bit of MIDI work to get them to sound good but the time put in is well worthwhile, IMV.
I also bought a number of the other libraries as you can see.
Understanding how to get the most out of one library then sets you up for another from the same supplier.

Sticking with Garritan, with its integration into Finale notation software makes the "creation" process a lot more straightforward ...
... once you've learnt the ropes.

So that's where I am just needing a bit more oomph and a bit more space to load stuff into.

See the next episode.
Last edited by SysExJohn on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Speling!
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Episode 2
Well, I must admit I lost quite a few days/weeks thinking about this.
One of the thoughts that occured, not infrequently, was "should I actually be happy with the T420, i5-2540 (2.6GHz), 8GB that I already have?"
But, I'm pleased to say that G.A.S. finally won the day and I plumped for something new (well, new to me, anyway)!

I'd been very pleased with the ThinkPad T420, so maybe I should look at what more up-to-date versions of this type of laptop were available.
These machines are Mil Spec to use the jargon, and built, not surprisingly perhaps, like tanks.
t430-housing.jpg
The magnesium alloy chassis.
t430-housing.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 508 times
The cage at the bottom left houses the HDD.
The square hole above it is where the CPU sits.
The hole to the left of that is where the GPU (graphics processor), if fitted, resides.
Above that is where the CPU fan is sited with exhaust ports above and to the left.
Under the black flap right in the middle is where one of the two possible RAM modules is located.

The other thing that has value to me is that there seem to be loads of articles in various forums (fora?) that describe in some detail what upgrades can be done and how to do them.
There are even published maintenance documents, available from the manufacturer, to download.

I set myself the task of finding something that would have, or be upgradeable to, 16GB with an i7 processor.
The budget was pretty meagre, not too much over 200 quid. Eek!
Virtually everything T4xx series from the T440 onward (450 to 480) was out of my reach.
So I looked hard at the T430.
t430-Lenovo-T430.jpg
The Thinkpad T430.
t430-Lenovo-T430.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Available in i7 (2.9GHz), fitted the same docking station as the T420 (that's good), could take up to 16GB, upgradeable with mSATA SSD. Now has USB 3 and even sports an eSATA port.
According to others, can even take a quad core processor.
(It's been a long time since I messed about (successfully I might add) with installing CPUs.)
A class A one would set me back around 250 quid, and there's one for sale.
Bought it a week or so back.

It arrived and looks in very good condition.
No scratches, some very light scuffs, no missing pixels, i7-3520 (2.9GHz) CPU, 8GB memory, 750GB HDD, Win7pro-64.
But ...
The screen is the 1366 model not the 1600 one.
And, oh ... bother ... the HDD is not in a cradle and the tab that's been attached has broken off short.
Off with the keyboard ... not too difficult, and push it out from the inside.
Drat! The HDD is 5400 not 7200rpm.
Only 8 and I want 16GB RAM.
So let's just check the what the RAM soDIMM is and look for a duplicate ... eBay.

Okay some work needed to get it up to spec.

So, episode 3 will cover the upgrade process.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Addendum
Better make a list of the components I need to find to upgrade the laptop.

Hmm! Let's think.
1/. An 8GB memory stick matching the one that's already there:
8G DDR3 1600 SODIMM 1.35v. Crucial CT102464BF 160B.8DED.

2/. A 2.5" HDD caddy that fits the T430, like this one.
t430-Drivecaddy.jpg
Drive caddy.
t430-Drivecaddy.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 589 times
3/. An mSATA SSD to plug into the motherboard socket.
The last one was 128GB, maybe go for a 256GB one this time, if it's not too expensive.

4/. A large capacity, high speed HDD.
Look for a 1TB 7200 rpm 2.5" HDD, preferably from WD (Western Digital), cos I like 'em.
If not maybe 750GB and HGST isn't a band brand either.

5/. Try to find a low cost but original replacement battery, 9 cell rather than 6.

That's the important ones.

6/. Check whether I need a 90w PSU rather than the 65w one I have.

7/. Maybe see how much a 1600x900 replacement LCD panel is, and whether there are any barriers to upgrading my machine.

8/. Buy an UltraBay HDD SATA holder. (You can add an extra disk by removing the CD/DVD drive and putting an HDD in its place. Good for backups.)
t430-ultrabay.jpg
Ultrabay HDD caddy.
t430-ultrabay.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 509 times
9/. Take a look at the cost and complexity of replacing the i7 core 2 duo CPU with a low power i7 quad core processor.
Which one is it I wonder?

10/. Maybe an extra docking station type 4337 or 4338.
T430dock4337.jpg
T430 docking station.
T430dock4337.jpg (41.59 KiB) Viewed 509 times
That should be everything I think.

So, eBay, open your portals. :wink:
Last edited by SysExJohn on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:27 pm

This project is very interesting on MANY levels John . . . .

I use two machines for composition . . . My Desktop has a 8-core AMD fx 8350 proc. 4.00 GHz with 32Gb Ram,

whilst my Laptop is an HP Pavilion 15-N278SA 15.6" Quad Core 1.6Ghz Laptop 8GB 1TB DVD/RW Webcam -

Windows 8 (Refurbished / Grade A1) Which I bought from Morgan's some long time ago . . . updated to Win10

it runs Reaper and my NI Komplete11 just fine . .

As I've mentioned before in here, I have a backup routine where I periodically CLONE my system drive

AND my Data Drive, and keep one of each to hand in case of problems . . .

This is easy to do on the DT machine, but the HP requires SIGNIFICANT dis-assembly to get at the HDD . . . .

(Necessary, because I use a stand-alone Disk Cloner - as this WORKS, flawlessly)

I've heard that the ThinkPads are better in this respect - The HD living under a flap on the underside . . . . ?

If this is SO - then that's where I'll be going when the HP gets replaced . . . .

Batteries of course are also an important consideration, and I've heard plenty of tales about Clone or knock-off batteries

being severely lacking in performance, when tried . . .

The only way to be SURE is to purchase a spare from the machines official supplier - and pay the top price . . . . :roll:

Either way - I watch your project with INTEREST ((i))

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Chris for your feedback,

Yes, I know what you mean about disassembly, you don't want to be doing it too often.
As well as being a pain, I do wonder how many removals and reinsertions are reasonable with the main SATA HDD ports.

The tail end of the HDD lives behind a flap. It's screwed into the little holder displayed above, which then slides into the slot.
On the later machines the HDD really needs to be 7mm in height, not 9.5mm. The taller drives are a really tight fit, kinda jammed in.

The joy of the T420 and T430 (and others) is that they have the Ultrabay where one can swap the CD/DVD drive for an HDD and do backup of the main drive in situ.
Some of the other models, where there's no built in Ultrabay, often have one situated in the docking station.
I have an old X61 that's like that. Mark you it's an earlier ATA port, and that's something you have to watch.
The T series goes right up to the latest T480, which is well outside my price range.
But there are also X2x0's and a T5x0 series, etc.
Watch out for machines with an "s" suffix though. They are slimline and the CPU is soldered in.

But you also have an eSATA port that, with a ten pound cable that combines a USB plug on one end alogside the eSATA plug, provides power enough for a 2.5" drive at the other end via the standard SATA connector.
Or, one can get a cable with a PSU to provide the power needed for a 3.5" drive.
Very flexible.

Batteries? Yes, be very careful.
I've found an original that someone's selling for a little off the regular list price, still in its original box.

The saga continues.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Episode3
Well, the bits are beginning to trickle in, mostly from eBay, one or two from Amazon.
Some, if they're small, delivered directly. Others to the local store 10 minutes walk away.

The drive bay HDD holder for £6.95.
The Ultrabay HDD holder for £6.99.

I couldn't find a matching memory module but I picked up a matched pair of 8GB compatible SODIMMs for just 50 quid!
t430-RAM-16GB.jpg
Matched 8GB SODIMMs.
t430-RAM-16GB.jpg (79.7 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Off with the keyboard again, be careful with the cable attaching it to the motherboard, in they go and, bingo, they work.

Ouch!
A new Samsung 256GB mSATA SSD pcb is rather expensive, but I found this used one on eBay for £45.
T430-mSATA-SSD.jpg
256GB mSATA in 2.5" caddy.
T430-mSATA-SSD.jpg (107.03 KiB) Viewed 513 times
A quick check by attaching to the eSATA lead, yup, good to go.

Lastly, the 7200rpm disc.
Found an HGST 1TB one for a mere £32. A quick try and test ... seems okay.
But, it's not 7mm it's the thicker type, that might be something of a squeeze to get in in the drive bay slot.

So, that totals £77 extra, so far.

Now to see if I can find a better LCD display for a sensible price.
Oh-oh just seen a Samsung 1TB SSD for 150 quid.
Self control John, self control.

More to follow.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:22 am

Looks like you're doing just fine John . . . .
SysExJohn wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm
Thanks Chris for your feedback,

Yes, I know what you mean about disassembly, you don't want to be doing it too often.
As well as being a pain, I do wonder how many removals and re-insertions are reasonable with the main SATA HDD ports.
I don't think the ports are a problem in this case, but the insertion/removal of those wretched little self-tappers into their (often) PLASTIC "posts" that will object if either done too often - OR tightened to energetically . . .

The posts can split, or the self-tappers will effectively drill a hole, that will then be too large . . . .

From your earlier pics, those Thinkpads look to be cast metal frames - so mounting screws will be proper set-screws?
SysExJohn wrote:
The tail end of the HDD lives behind a flap. It's screwed into the little holder displayed above, which then slides into the slot.
THAT is what I really need . . . .
SysExJohn wrote:
The joy of the T420 and T430 (and others) is that they have the Ultrabay where one can swap the CD/DVD drive for an HDD and do backup of the main drive in situ.
I've tried no end of SW cloning solutions over time and NONE have worked properly . . .

ALWAYS a problem with not booting - and with a Windows C:\ Drive - I've no intention of going through the misery of reinstalling Windows et al . . .

I've used this device for years now and it works flawlessly. I've cloned Windows, Mac and Linux drives this way.

Integral_Hard_Drive_Copy_Station.png
Integral_Hard_Drive_Copy_Station.png (64.11 KiB) Viewed 553 times

The T Series sound just about right. I shall remember this for the future . . .

Thanks John.

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am

Not a self-tapper in sight, Chris.
All set screws. Does my aircraft-engineer heart good.
I should have added that the casing behind the LCD display is also metal, so the panel is held in place with more set-screws. :)

As I think I said, being relatively modern, it really requires a 7mm HDD or SSD not the thicker ones.
The one I've turned up is 9mm, which really is a very tight fit, but with a little, very careful, judicious wangling I have managed to get it to locate into the SATA interface.
I would definitely NOT recommend doing that on a regular basis for backup.

I've gone for a highish capacity HDD rather than SSD for the drive because, I'm told, the more writes that occur to an SSD the shorter it's lifespan.
So things like the page file and other parts of the operating system that are regularly rewritten need to be transferred to an HDD.
You can read more about this at the AusLogics web site. They make a defragger that takes SSDs into account.
They write that fragmentaion on an SSD doesn't matter, because of the way an SSD works.

So pleased you're getting something from the mini saga. :D

JohnG.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Just noticed John . . .

Morgans has a whole page of IBM/Lenovo Laptops . . . A1/A2 refurbs - but some out of stock . . .

morgancomputers.co.uk/c/512/IBM-Lenovo/

Looks to be "regular" page . . .

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Return to “Home Studio”