Digidesign MIDI I/O

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
TulsaMJ

Digidesign MIDI I/O

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:54 pm

I have the opportunity to get a MIDI I/O with the 10 routable in/out ports, but I can't try it out ahead of time and I don't know if it's possible to use it on Windows 10. It was released during the reign of Windows XP and I don't think any official drivers have been released for anything newer. What I'm wondering is whether it will work without a driver in newer Windows OS versions. There is a configuration tool for the port routing, but if need be I have some old XP machines I could fire up for that configuration stuff. But I definitely would want it to work to get MIDI into the computer.

Anybody use one of these with Windows 10, or even with 7/8/Vista?
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Digidesign MIDI I/O

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:09 pm

It will definitely work with Win7 as there are still drivers for it http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... d/en355769

It's possible that will stretch to Win10 but it's always a bit hit and miss when using Win7 drivers.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 pm

I think that page is confusing - I've been puzzling over it. I'm using Reaper and don't have Pro Tools, and the page talks a lot about Pro Tools. Not clear whether "MIDI I/O Installer 9.0 Windows (For Pro Tools 9 and Higher)" is a Windows 7 driver or compatible with 10. In the "Related Articles" section there is a link about Windows 10 compatibility, but the link is really about performance tuning for Pro Tools. *sigh*

This does give me an idea, though - I'll try installing that driver and see if the install tanks or not. If the driver won't even install on 10, I probably should just Run Away(tm).
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:26 pm

It does talk about Pro Tools and it's definitely confusing but it says:
In Pro Tools 8 and earlier, the drivers for the Digidesign MIDI I/O peripheral are installed during Pro Tools installation, either from the Pro Tools Web Installer or the Pro Tools installation disk:
...and then tells you to run the Pro Tools installer and follow the prompts.

Below that though it also says:
Standalone installers of the MIDI I/O drivers and documentation are also available below:
...and then gives the download links.

I would install this one and just see what happens. If it is asking for Pro Tools then you know it needs that program. Worth a shot anyway. http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/c ... _69593.zip
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 am

Well, the installer didn't crash, so that's a good sign! If I get this device and it actually works for me, I can add it to my stable of why-should-I-buy-new-stuff gear: my SY-85 (circa 1993), the YDP-101S digital piano (circa 1999), and a Tascam US-428 (circa 2001). I have an SM58 mic that my brother literally found(!) on a job (they said he could have it), and he also gave me the Tascam. I'm sort of a scrounger, apparently!

I did buy a Rock Band 3 keytar and a used M-Audio Oxygen 25 to use as controllers, though, so I guess I've messed up my streak already...
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 am

There's no shame in utilising disgarded kit MJ . . . . .

I have a brown Roland Sustain pedal I found in a dustbin at work back in 1997 (IIRC).

It had one rubber foot missing. I use it currently with my Fusion 8HD . . . .

My best score, was a M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 recorder that was going to be binned at work,

due to the internal lithium ion battery NOT holding charge . . . .

M-Audio wanted about £200 to replace the battery. So I won it . . .

I opened it and replaced the old battery with an iPhone Battery, and when finished and charged -

it recorded and played for ~3 Hrs.

M-Audio Microtrack 2496.jpg

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:17 am

I have two of the old-style MIDI interfaces in a closet, the ones that are supposed to connect up to a sound card. My wife inherited them from her ex-husband in the divorce, along with some old copies of Band in a Box or something. I don't have any old computers with that kind of sound card (I do have some old computers!) but if I did I would hook one up, throw Proteus VX or something on it, and use it as a dedicated sound module. Just 'cause I could. :)

Hmm... I bet I could find an old junk computer at a pawn shop somewhere for like 25 bucks... #CheapestProteusEver
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:39 pm

There is something immensely satisfying about getting old gear up and running again :)

I used to have loads of old computer gear stacked in the garage before we moved. No room now so had to bin it all.

Occasionally I would drag an old PC or mac into the house and fire it up just for a bit of nostalgia.

Used to be the same with keyboards but got to the point I was spending more time faffing around trying to get things to connect and work than actually making music. Now I keep things very simple. Just a couple of keyboards and the rest is all acoustic guitars. Happy days :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Yes Saul,

I DID try and get my MBox2 working with Windows - 7Pro, I think it was . . .

It KNEW it was an MBox2, but try as I may, it wouldn't see the S/PDif I/O . . .

Pity really - as it's respectable Audio/Midi I/F otherwise . . . .

para
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:28 pm

Still have my old Mackie Spike audio/midi interface here somewhere. That came out in 2004 I think so it's what, 15 years old? But it still works if I plug it into the Mac or PC. Obviously the built in effects don't work as there are no drivers for it but the midi and audio parts still work. It's a bit too noisy though so it's gathering dust somewhere :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Return to “Home Studio”