Digidesign MIDI I/O

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

TulsaMJ

Digidesign MIDI I/O

Unread post by TulsaMJ »

I have the opportunity to get a MIDI I/O with the 10 routable in/out ports, but I can't try it out ahead of time and I don't know if it's possible to use it on Windows 10. It was released during the reign of Windows XP and I don't think any official drivers have been released for anything newer. What I'm wondering is whether it will work without a driver in newer Windows OS versions. There is a configuration tool for the port routing, but if need be I have some old XP machines I could fire up for that configuration stuff. But I definitely would want it to work to get MIDI into the computer.

Anybody use one of these with Windows 10, or even with 7/8/Vista?

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Digidesign MIDI I/O

Unread post by Saul »

It will definitely work with Win7 as there are still drivers for it http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... d/en355769

It's possible that will stretch to Win10 but it's always a bit hit and miss when using Win7 drivers.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ »

I think that page is confusing - I've been puzzling over it. I'm using Reaper and don't have Pro Tools, and the page talks a lot about Pro Tools. Not clear whether "MIDI I/O Installer 9.0 Windows (For Pro Tools 9 and Higher)" is a Windows 7 driver or compatible with 10. In the "Related Articles" section there is a link about Windows 10 compatibility, but the link is really about performance tuning for Pro Tools. *sigh*

This does give me an idea, though - I'll try installing that driver and see if the install tanks or not. If the driver won't even install on 10, I probably should just Run Away(tm).

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It does talk about Pro Tools and it's definitely confusing but it says:
In Pro Tools 8 and earlier, the drivers for the Digidesign MIDI I/O peripheral are installed during Pro Tools installation, either from the Pro Tools Web Installer or the Pro Tools installation disk:
...and then tells you to run the Pro Tools installer and follow the prompts.

Below that though it also says:
Standalone installers of the MIDI I/O drivers and documentation are also available below:
...and then gives the download links.

I would install this one and just see what happens. If it is asking for Pro Tools then you know it needs that program. Worth a shot anyway. http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/c ... _69593.zip
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ »

Well, the installer didn't crash, so that's a good sign! If I get this device and it actually works for me, I can add it to my stable of why-should-I-buy-new-stuff gear: my SY-85 (circa 1993), the YDP-101S digital piano (circa 1999), and a Tascam US-428 (circa 2001). I have an SM58 mic that my brother literally found(!) on a job (they said he could have it), and he also gave me the Tascam. I'm sort of a scrounger, apparently!

I did buy a Rock Band 3 keytar and a used M-Audio Oxygen 25 to use as controllers, though, so I guess I've messed up my streak already...

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

There's no shame in utilising disgarded kit MJ . . . . .

I have a brown Roland Sustain pedal I found in a dustbin at work back in 1997 (IIRC).

It had one rubber foot missing. I use it currently with my Fusion 8HD . . . .

My best score, was a M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 recorder that was going to be binned at work,

due to the internal lithium ion battery NOT holding charge . . . .

M-Audio wanted about £200 to replace the battery. So I won it . . .

I opened it and replaced the old battery with an iPhone Battery, and when finished and charged -

it recorded and played for ~3 Hrs.

M-Audio Microtrack 2496.jpg

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

TulsaMJ

Unread post by TulsaMJ »

I have two of the old-style MIDI interfaces in a closet, the ones that are supposed to connect up to a sound card. My wife inherited them from her ex-husband in the divorce, along with some old copies of Band in a Box or something. I don't have any old computers with that kind of sound card (I do have some old computers!) but if I did I would hook one up, throw Proteus VX or something on it, and use it as a dedicated sound module. Just 'cause I could. :)

Hmm... I bet I could find an old junk computer at a pawn shop somewhere for like 25 bucks... #CheapestProteusEver

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

There is something immensely satisfying about getting old gear up and running again :)

I used to have loads of old computer gear stacked in the garage before we moved. No room now so had to bin it all.

Occasionally I would drag an old PC or mac into the house and fire it up just for a bit of nostalgia.

Used to be the same with keyboards but got to the point I was spending more time faffing around trying to get things to connect and work than actually making music. Now I keep things very simple. Just a couple of keyboards and the rest is all acoustic guitars. Happy days :)
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

Unread post by parametric »

Yes Saul,

I DID try and get my MBox2 working with Windows - 7Pro, I think it was . . .

It KNEW it was an MBox2, but try as I may, it wouldn't see the S/PDif I/O . . .

Pity really - as it's respectable Audio/Midi I/F otherwise . . . .

para
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Still have my old Mackie Spike audio/midi interface here somewhere. That came out in 2004 I think so it's what, 15 years old? But it still works if I plug it into the Mac or PC. Obviously the built in effects don't work as there are no drivers for it but the midi and audio parts still work. It's a bit too noisy though so it's gathering dust somewhere :)
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr