Has Windoze started running slowly recently?

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Has Windoze started running slowly recently?

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 am

If any of you have noticed that Windoze has started to run more slowly recently, especially after a 'security' update, it could (N.B. could) be due to the following.

After noticing that my Windoze 7 (x64) version had seemed to slow down considerably, I started 'Task Manager' and noticed a process running that I hadn't seen before. It was called "CompatTelRunner.exe". So I looked it up on line and found that it was a 'diagnostic' piece of code newly incorporated into Windoze by Microsoft that was, apparently reporting diagnostics (and who knows what else?). Are they trying to keep track of those still running W7 I wonder?

It has also been incorporated into W10, and is making a performance hit there too, I understand.

Anyway, I decided that I didn't want (a) the performance hit and (b) the possible 'spying, so I decided to find out how to get rid of the processes.
I found all the information to do this by doing a bit of Internet research.
I thought I'd report on what I did to rid myself of them here.

Remember, what I put here worked for me for Windoze 7 and I can't vouch for it working in Windoze 10.
There is information on line for its eradication in W10.

So, buckle up, here goes.

Click on the "Start" (Windows) icon in the bottom left hand corner and type into the box "services.msc" as shown in the following jpg.
Services-msc.jpg
Services-msc.jpg (21.56 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Hit "Enter" and you may be asked, via a popup, whether you want to run the process, click "Yes", then the following window should open.
Services-wndw.jpg
Now scroll down until you find the "D's", and there you might find four processes starting with the word "Diagnostic", as below.
Diagnostics01.jpg
The one I've highlighted "Diagnostics Tracking Service" is the one that sends info to MS.
Double clicking on it opens another popup as follows.
Services-popup.jpg
Services-popup.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
You'll probably find its startup type is "automatic" and its status is "started". (N.B. NOT as shown in the accompanying jpg.)
Clicking on the "Stop" will close it down. That might take a few seconds.
Then I found that I could safely change its startup type to "Disabled" without any ill effect. :)
That should prevent any tracking.

The diagnostics, however, are still being taken, and this is what is making the performance hit.

The other process that was started was the "Diagnostic Policy Service", and so I 'stopped' that and then 'disabled' that too, just as I had done for the tracking service. So far, so good. :) :)

The other two services, "Service Host" and "System Host", were set to "Manual" (as I recall) i.e. not started.
So I didn't have to stop them, I just disabled them. So far no ill effects. :) :) :)

The next step was to reboot the PC so I did a restart and all booted up fine and, yes, it did seem to go a little quicker.
Faster boot up, not a pause when loading applications, and so on. :D :D :D

Now, whether you feel confident enough to do this yourself is another matter, but you can read all about it if you carry out a search on:
CompatTelRunner.exe on line.

And, please note, I take no responsibility if you decide to do this yourself.
It worked for me, it should work for you on Windows 7 (x64).

E & OE.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Has Windoze started running slowly recently?

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm

It isn't reporting any personal information, just telemetrics about any compatibility issues between Windows and your software. I've occasionally had problems with my Windows 10 system being sluggish because of it, but I haven't lately, probably because I think I turned it off a year or two ago.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Derek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Probably unrelated, but in WIN10 a “new, improved” device driver model has totally screwed gaming and audio performance for NVDIA graphics cards. Microsoft and NVDIA are currently working on it.....

Suggest you roll back any recent updates to see if there is a difference. There is a good tool called Latency Monitor (google it and it should come up) which you can use to measure performance. Run it, each time you do an update....
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am

SeaGtGruff wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm
It isn't reporting any personal information, just telemetrics about any compatibility issues between Windows and your software. I've occasionally had problems with my Windows 10 system being sluggish because of it, but I haven't lately, probably because I think I turned it off a year or two ago.
Forgive me, I suspect you mean MS 'tell you' it isn't reporting any personal information.

I wonder why they suddenly thought it was necessary to add it again to Win7 after the "upgrade to Win10" fiasco?

I'm afraid I've totally lost trust with all the likes of Google, Amazon, Facebook, MS, Apple, all big banks and financial institutions ... the list keeps getting added to.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar France
EXer

Unread post by EXer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks for that information.

My PC runs under W7 32 bits and I have just deactivated "Diagnostics Tracking Service".
EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

VVLNERANT OMNES VLTIMA NECAT
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:14 pm

EXer wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:23 pm
Thanks for that information.

My PC runs under W7 32 bits and I have just deactivated "Diagnostics Tracking Service".
My pleasure, the tracking service sends the info.
The other three seem to be information gatherers and they're the ones that take up processor and/or disc time.

Did you give them the 'order of the boot' too?
If you did, did you notice a slight speed improvement?

Return to “Home Studio”