New DAW build - a mini saga - another episode, 6.

Tips and advice on building your home studio, buying equipment and how to use it to best effect.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New DAW build - a mini saga.

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:43 pm

That doesn't surprise me, Chris.

Lenovo laptops are widely used by businesses throughout the UK, and further afield, because of their robust ruggedness and therefore longevity.
Of the few I've had, they've usually been in good condition.
The others, collected up by the resellers, where the case has taken a battering, are used to supply the second hand market for used spares.
So far, I've been lucky in finding used spares to be of a reasonable quality.
Except, that is, for batteries.

One can even be lucky with used LCD panels.
I've just received this one, an original Samsung 1600x900 one, for £27.50.
T430-Samsung-1600x900-screen.jpg
Used Samsung 1600x900 LCD panel.
T430-Samsung-1600x900-screen.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
(Y)
Set screws to hold it in place. :dance:
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Just a word of warning about the Lenovo docking stations.

There are many varieties of these and it pays to do a little research before buying.

Here, for instance, are the four (yes, four) variants of dock for the Thinkpad T420 or T430.
The picture shows the four variants stacked on top of each other, and the text describes the differences.
T430-all-dock-ports.jpg
T430 docking stations.
T430-all-dock-ports.jpg (90.37 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
Privia PX-560, AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE and now CbB. XGworks.
Garritan GPO4 and GPO5, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps ... and now CFX Concert Grand.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Looks like Lenovo is the one to go for if you are looking to Customise . . . .

Am I right in thinking the Docking arrangement has been standardised - and any will "fit" . . .

(You just choose the connection selection YOU want)?

At this rate - it looks like you're going to end up with the machine you NEED . . . . ((i))

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Updated at 17:10
Not every Thinkpad fits every docking station.
There are 12", 14" and 15" Thinkpads each with its own size of dock.
I search on the laptop model initially, then when I kow which models work with which laptop, I get more specific.

With these four docking stations, either the T420 or T430 will just 'drop' into place.

Indeed, you do just then choose the connection selection you want.

However, there has to be one doesn't there, one with USB 3 where the laptop itself doesn't support it, e.g. the T420, doesn't somehow magically invest the laptop with USB 3. You get USB 2 in that case.
So the 4337-15 and the 4338-35 are only really appropriate with the T430.
Or, to put it another way, if you're going to go for a T430, then the best investment is one of those two to get USB 3 support through the dock.

I'm not sure whether layout changes in later Thinkpad models changed the docking stations. Probably.
Certainly the X61 is different, as are the X220 and X230.

Make sense?

JohnG.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:48 pm

tux wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 pm
@SysExJohn: why don't you use hardware synths? then the needs for all that processing power and RAM falls away. Your two MU1000 should be perfectly up to the task of producing backing tracks for your wife.
Hi Tux,
In retrospect, I realise I was a bit brief in my answer to you.
I'm sorry that my response to your post was a bit terse and somewhat dismissive.

Let me try to rectify that, if I can.

One, out of many little projects I undertake, turns out to be not so little, but to occupy vast amounts of time.
The basic sequencing is fairly straightforward, but the initial results turn out to be far from convincing.
This was a project I undertook several years ago, and come back to from time to time to try to make improvements.
VSTi-cello01.jpg
BWV6-iii-choral.
On the face of it, compared with some scores I've been given, very simple.
Just three staves.
Okay the last needs expansion into possibly, cello, contra-bass an octave lower, and organ with a realisation of the figured bass.

But, oh dear no!
Take a listen to this short extract where I've separated the cello into just the left channel.
And, if you have Audacity or a similar program, take a look at the waveform of the audio.
https://app.box.com/s/vdftu2gl0c53w84mlu28c1l2ap26rqsg

Sequencing the notes I've done hundreds of times before, but getting the cello to sound anything like authentic, I found impossible with an MU.
I think it's primarily because MIDI sound cards/modules use velocity to dictate the note volume.
Wind, brass and especially strings don't really work like that.
In a good VSTi orchestral library expression mainly dictates note volume, velocity only partly dictates it.
Plus, in this example, there are legato sections, long notes, then rapid 'sawing' with the bow back and forth.
This necessitates the use of 'keyswitches' to change the sample type between legato, up bow, down bow and so forth, as well as significant work with either the expression pedal or the mod wheel set to expression.
VSTi-cello02.jpg
Line two.
VSTi-cello03.jpg
Line three.
You'll notice, in the audio file, the emphasis on the higher notes of the groups of four.
Higher note velocities, on their own, don't 'cut the mustard'.

This was my rendering from some years back, which is starting to approach what was needed.
https://app.box.com/s/hczmhlllhdqbtymcdti5apuhh9nwbaqj

I hope that serves to exlain my move to VSTi's?

JohnG.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 am

Those examples are pretty impressive John. They are both beyond anything I have been able to produce,

the second example even more so . . .

Possibly the way I input my own stuff - i.e.playing it in, I only seem to get velocity recorded . . .

I think I can't do more until such time as I get a controller with a decent MOD wheel on it.

The Roland PC-300 has PB and Mod in one "lever" which I don't like much . . .

All my editing is done on my DT machine which has insufficient room for me to connect my Fusion 6HD,

which would probably be fine for this . . .

perhaps I should investigate an Alesis V25 or 41 for this. . . .

I think I'll not progress until I get hands on with a MOD Wheel and appreciate how it works with my VSTis. . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:00 am

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify, the first short .wav sample was not of my doing, but from a CD of the piece where I removed the other instruments in order to listen carefully to how the cello was being played. I.e. up and down strokes, legato phrasing, emphasis on certain notes, and so forth.

The MIDI realisation is the second mp3.

Very many thanks for the complimentary review, very much appreciated.

If you don't have mod wheel, do try using an expression pedal.
It takes a little practice but you will find you can input quite acceptable e.g. crescendos and diminuendos with a pedal.
Think of it as a wah-wah pedal. :wink:

Check out what controls your library uses. It may be it uses cc#11 rather than cc#1.
The GPO5 can use any of cc#1, cc#2 (breath) and cc#11 for expression.
It means you can use any one of mod wheel, expression pedal or breath controller (EWI).

The results you hear are, of course, not only cc#11 but also key switching back and forth between legato and alterate up/down strokes,
changing the attack (velocity) of notes higher and lower to get emphasis on certain notes as well as reducing attack significantly on the second and subsequent notes within a slurred phrase. The release phase of every note, apart from the last, of a phrase is reduced to zero.

Take a look at the controllers avaialble to be used on the right hand side of the following screen.
Cello3.jpg
Garritan ARIA cello controllers.
The "length" controller adjusts the release phase of the sample.
The two "var" controls adjust the emphasis and tuning of the notes.

ATB,
JohnG.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Episode 4 (part 1).

Where did we get to with that list of components? Ah! Yes, £77 so far, roughly speaking.

Then I managed to find a 1600x900 LCD screen by Samsung (supposedly the best of them) for £27.50.
But before buying it I was informed by a Wiki article that it needed an HD+ cable with a 40 pin connector to support it.
So, front screen bezel off, fingernails will do it. Just work gradually around, and check the cable coming out from below the display.
Aha! Excellent. Mine already has the right cable. I'll go ahead.

T430-HD+cable.jpg
HD+ cable. Close up.
T430-HD+cable.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

That was ordered and arrived last Friday, today's Monday. (18th Feb. '19)

I've just discovered a used backlit keyboard as well for just £20.00.
That, I know, will fit. Ordered.

While I wait for the keyboard to arrive I might as well do the build.
So here's the back of the laptop.

T430-under.jpg
T430 underneath view.
T430-under.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

Up at the top is the battery with it's lock.
To the left, in the mddle,are the lock and slide mecanism to remove the Ultrabay, currently with CD/DVD drive.
Over to the right, near the bottom is the little panel that is help by one captive set screw. It hides the HDD and a couple of USB sockets.
Roughly in the middle is a panel, it's held in place by two Philips head ,set screws.
Time for the set of watch makers screw drivers.

ScrewDrivers.jpg
Screwdriver set.
ScrewDrivers.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

Take out the battery, slide out the CD drive and remove the panel to the HDD.
Then undo the two set scews that hold the central panel in place and store them in a safe place. (In the screwdriver box and close the lid.)

Underneath is a socket for a second memory SODIMM and also one for the mSATA SSD.
Here's a shot with the RAM in place, on the right, and the socket, where the wires are, for the SSD.

T430-RAM2.jpg
Under the panel.
T430-RAM2.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Here the mSATA SSD is in its socket.

T430-installed.jpg
mSATA SSD and 8GB RAM.
T430-installed.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

The two vertical arrows point to the location post and the set screw holding the mSATA SSD.
The two horizontal arrows point to the two set screws that hold the keyboard down from underneath.
Those need to be undone in order to remove the keyboard to mount the other 8GB of RAM.

End of episode one, part one.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New DAW build - a mini saga - episode 4.

Unread post by parametric » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 am

Delightful, John . . .
A Computer designed to HELP the owner to tinker, rather than confound him . . . . :/:

(If we were talking Cars - it would probably be a Ford Cortina Mk 1. . . The one with the Ban-the-Bomb rear clusters ) ;)

Chris

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 pm

parametric wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:23 am
Delightful, John . . .
A Computer designed to HELP the owner to tinker, rather than confound him . . . . :/:

(If we were talking Cars - it would probably be a Ford Cortina Mk 1. . . The one with the Ban-the-Bomb rear clusters ) ;)
Crikey, Chris, Cortina Mk 1? That brings back memories ... and of my very first proper car after riding motorbikes for some time.

Cost me ... wait for it ... 65 quid!
A 1957 MG Magnette. Already 13 years old when I got it, pretty rusty, needed burnt out valves replaced and a new set of tyres.
It didn't look half as good as the one here: :clap:

MG Magnette.jpg
2 tone MG Magnette.
MG Magnette.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
It lasted me a few years, right until the drivers floor pan fell through.
It felt like copying Fred Flintstone.

Lovely, leather seats and a wooden dashboard. :dance:

Magnette-inside.jpg
Magnette dashboard.
Magnette-inside.jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
The switch on the top of the steering wheel boss is for the indicators.
I loved that car, she even had a name, "Entropy". :wink:
The measure of unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work.

JohnG.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Episode 4 (part 2).
But, just before we turn over, a little note for those unfamiliar with the job.
How to remove an SODIMM chip from most laptops.

There are two little levers, in the case of the T430, made of metal.
They need to be pushed gently to one side and the chip should just pop up to a 30 degree angle, when it can be pulled from the socket.
See my little picture below where the levers are surrounded and the direction of pressure shown.

T430-RAM-and-mSATA.jpg
Removal of SODIMM chip.
T430-RAM-and-mSATA.jpg (76.34 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Having inserted one of the matched pair of RAM chips, I need to replace the main chip, but it's located under the keyboard.
So I undo the two set screws shown above, then I turn the laptop over and open the lid.

The keyboard can be unclipped with a little backwards pressure on the top, back edge.
I found a nice little diagram on-line.

T430-kybd-removal.jpg
Keyboard removal.
T430-kybd-removal.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
It can then be lifted, but only enough to gain access to the cable and plug.
It plugs into the motherboard right next to where the other SODIMM chip will go, so it has to be done.
Here's another little diagram I discovered.

T430-kybd-lift.jpg
Unplugging the keyboard.
T430-kybd-lift.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Once it's removed we can gain access to the primary 8GB of RAM under a little black flap, here:

T430-RAM1.jpg
At last, the main SODIMM.
T430-RAM1.jpg (64.68 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
The two holes marked are where the screws come through to attach the keyboard.
The socket marked is where the keyboard plugs in. (Awkward little so-and-so!)

The memory chip is held in place in the same way as the one on the underside.
So "out with the old, and in with the new!" Carefully.

So now it's just a matter of re-assembly.
Plug in the keyboard, slide the back edge in and push gently back, then slide the little tabs on the front edge into place.

Turn the laptop over. Replace the keyboard scews. Replace the memory cover.
Replace the various things we removed from the laptop earlier on and, lastly, re-insert the battery.
Hope that we've done everything correctly and switch on.

Bingo!
16GB memory, and a second drive of 256GB ready to have various system and main partitions allocated on it and Win7pro(x64) put on.

End of part two.

In the next episode I'll tackle replacing the laptop's LCD screen.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am

So, just a little placeholder to say that I realise I need to finish the build off.

The last hardware episode will, with any luck and a following wind, be written today.

It will cover the replacement of the LCD lower res screen (1366x???) with a 1600x900 unit and the swapping of the standard keyboard with a backlit one.

Watch this space. :whistle:
JohnG.
Last edited by SysExJohn on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SysExJohn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:48 pm

And so to the end of the mini-saga, at least as far as hardware goes.

Episode 5.

The prospect felt rather daunting, at least initially, of taking out the LCD screen and replacing it with a higher resolution one.
I don't know whether I would have tackled it if I'd had to replace the cable that attaches the screen to the motherboard.
(It needs a fair bit more dismantling to achieve this if you can find an HD+ cable on-line.)
Fortunately, it transpired that the cable already in situ was labelled "HD+" and that meant it has a 40 pin rather than a 30 pin connector.
That, in turn, means it will support the higher resolution screen.

Reading through the various forums I ascertained, in the opinion of most, that of the original screens, the one made by Samsung was considered the best of the bunch. I was fortunate enough to find a used one at just £27.50 with free postage.

So, upon arrival or the replacement, I took my courage into both hands and gently prized off the bezel that surrounds the screen.
No tools needed, though I have it on good authority that a guitar pick is an ideal tool to use to gently release the clipped on surround.
It's just a case of releasing it a bit at a time and working around the screen until the whole bezel comes loose.
I found that starting around the bottom edge proved the easiest.

With the bezel removed (no connecting cables) one can then see that there are four retaining pegs that locate the screen in place.
Directly alongside each of the pegs is a tiny set-screw that holds the screen in place.
Place the laptop flat on its back with the screen wide upen. Both base and screen are now flat on the workbench.
The four screws undone, the screen can be lifted free to observe the connection cable that plugs into the back of the unit.

T430-LCD-connection.jpg
Connector and cable
T430-LCD-connection.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
In my case, I suppose all cases, the connection has some very sticky tape holding the plug in the socket.
Remove it, very carefully. This bit caused me the most anxiety. All was well.
The plug pulls downwards in line with the screen itself. I gently worked it from its socket.
Here's a magnified view of the socket.

T430-LCD-socket.jpg
40 pin socket
T430-LCD-socket.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
In this view the plug would be inserted from the bottom upwards. (Did I just say that?) :wink:

Then, it was just a matter of reversing the process, which was straightforward; plug, locate screen, screws, tighten, bezel.

Switch on ... Yay!

Now to the reinstalation of Win 7 Pro.

A postscript. My son now wnats me to build him a tweaked T430.
User avatar Uganda
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New DAW build - a mini saga - another episode, 6.

Unread post by SysExJohn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:21 pm

A follow-up to the laptop upgrade of some moons ago.

Still wondering whether I could improve the performance of my "new" laptop DAW, I found out quite recently that it would be possible to replace the 3rd generation, dual core i7 3520, running at 2.9 GHz, with a slightly lower speed (2.4 to 3.2 GHz) QUAD CORE processor.

The thing to watch out for is that the i7 currently in the PC only draws 35 watts of power, so to replace it with a processor intended for a desktop machine (45W to 55W) would, almost certainly, cause overheating problems. Laptops are not known for their ability to dissipate heat.

So ... I had to find a CPU with the same 35W rating as the current one.
Looking up Intel processors on wikipedia informed me that there were two devices made, an i7 3612QM and a very slightly faster i7 3632QM.
So, back to eBay to find out whether such chips are available on the used market.
Yes they are, and there are loads to be found shipped from China or a few other European countries.
But I wanted a UK seller and, from time to time, one or two turn up.

Eventually an i7 3632 turned up for 85 pounds, the seller had a good rating, so I splashed some cash, took the plunge, and bought it at the end of last week (late September, '19). It occured to me that I would need some thermal paste for the joint between the heatsink and the processor, so I coughed up another 5.85 for that, at the same time, from a different vendor.

The CPU arrived the next day, a Saturday, but not the thermal paste. That arrived on the Monday.

Today, Tuesday, is the first opportunity I've had to do a rebuild, so out with the screwdriver,
... but first remove the battery.
Remove the screws that hold the keyboard and the bezel that holds the touchpad etc. in place.
Undo the single screw that holds the left loudspeaker and move that out of the way.

Undo, in the correct order the four screws that hold the heatsink to the CPU. (the reverse order, 4, 3, 5, 6, (marked 4,3,2,1 on the heatsink))

T430-CPU-Disassembly.jpg
T430-CPU-Disassembly.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 108 times
(In my case, as I have no Nvidia graphics processor, the heatsink/fan assembly has just one leg, so screw #2 doesn't exist.)

There's a single screw that holds the CPU in place, so turn that and it can just be lifted out.

Use some cleaner to remove the thermal paste from the underside of the heatsink and dry it.
Insert the new CPU in the socket and use the single screw to lock it down.
With the tiny syringe of thermal paste put a small amount along the central part of the new processor.
On goes the heatsink and carefully do up the four screws, 1, 2, 3, 4 this time.
Partially reassemble everything to test it. :pray: :pray:

Battery in, switch on, "new CPU detected" and ...

OFF WE GO! :dance: :clap:

Return to “Home Studio”