Casio FZ-1/VZ-1 Aftermarket screen?

Classic synths & pianos

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Netherlands
Chrisvb

Re: Casio FZ-1/VZ-1 Aftermarket screen?

Unread post by Chrisvb » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I have been watching this thread for some weeks now... I love how Dmintrins efforts brings hope to some of us Casio FZ-1 owners 🙂 I hope he gets a chance to make some progress soon. I am very interested in buying a replacement display/controller when it comes available.
Keep up the good work 👍🏻
User avatar Poland
lcaise

Unread post by lcaise » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:11 am

Hi guys, Im new on this forum ;)
Looking forward to see final effect of Your work.
User avatar United States of America
sleestack

Unread post by sleestack » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 am

Hi
I bough a Casio FZ 1 LCD replacement backlight off eBay

I saw that one site in German about how to replace the foil. But it doesn't make sense. Do I need to solder anything?
I know to be super careful with the ribbon cables. Just unsure how to get it in the housing of the display properly. Also, How do I take apart the FZ-1 properly to get to the display section. I know . big questions. Thanks!
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:42 am

should be in another thread i think
All of the answers u are seeking will be in the FZ1 Service manual. one tip, the backlight is glued to the back of the lcd housing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=casio+fz1+service+manual

Rara 0-)
User avatar Netherlands
CarlRschr

Unread post by CarlRschr » Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

Hello everybody,
I'm very happy that I found this (Yamaha :) ) forum trying to solve the backlight problems of Casio FZ-1.
I also own a Casio FZ-1 where backlight doesn't light up anymore.
I ordered a new backlight at E-bay (bpucekov@gmail.com, about € 16,-) and got also a nice description of how to fix the (new) backlight.
Replacing happens by inserting (sleeving in) the new backlight (elfoil) over the old one (hhmmm ??). Cut the power cables and solder them again at the terminals of the new elfoil (backlight).
Well, the sleeve in the display frame was rather narrow so I had to widen up it a little bit.
After putting things together again I had a nice backlight again but ...... (alas) without the characters (oeps).
After disassembling the FZ-1 once more I discovered that a flat cable connected to the display hadn't a proper connection anymore.
These flat cables connections are very fragile, vulnerable (I know, we know).
By pressing the display frame (enclosing the backlight) the characters showed up again.
My question; is it feasible replacing the new backlight by fully disassembling (cutting open) the display (frame) and removing the old backlight and then put it together again without damaging the flat cables connections?

I'm also very interested in this topic/project.
I will study all the input once more and it would be very nice if a result/solution would come out.
And if I can help in one or another way please let me know.
Gr. Carl
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat May 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Carl. Welcome to the forums :)

Yes indeed it may seem a bit odd seeing a "Yamaha" focused site with so much activity from Casio owners but of course as musicians we often own all sorts of gear? The main ethos of this website is all about keeping older gear running when manufacturers have ceased supporting it.

Casio have made some excellent keyboards in the past, the FZ-1 and VZ-1 being prime examples and they have also massively upped their game in the last couple of years with the likes of the PX5S, PX560 and recently the PX-S3000.

So thanks for the info in your first post and I hope we will see you as a regular visitor here :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 am

CarlRschr wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm
Hello everybody,
I'm very happy that I found this (Yamaha :) ) forum trying to solve the backlight problems of Casio FZ-1.
I also own a Casio FZ-1 where backlight doesn't light up anymore.
I ordered a new backlight at E-bay (bpucekov@gmail.com, about € 16,-) and got also a nice description of how to fix the (new) backlight.
Replacing happens by inserting (sleeving in) the new backlight (elfoil) over the old one (hhmmm ??). Cut the power cables and solder them again at the terminals of the new elfoil (backlight).
Well, the sleeve in the display frame was rather narrow so I had to widen up it a little bit.
After putting things together again I had a nice backlight again but ...... (alas) without the characters (oeps).
After disassembling the FZ-1 once more I discovered that a flat cable connected to the display hadn't a proper connection anymore.
These flat cables connections are very fragile, vulnerable (I know, we know).
By pressing the display frame (enclosing the backlight) the characters showed up again.
My question; is it feasible replacing the new backlight by fully disassembling (cutting open) the display (frame) and removing the old backlight and then put it together again without damaging the flat cables connections?

I'm also very interested in this topic/project.
I will study all the input once more and it would be very nice if a result/solution would come out.
And if I can help in one or another way please let me know.
Gr. Carl
Don't fiddle with the display any more than you have to. those ribbon cables attached to the LCD
and the driver board are attached with a thermal glue. once the cables starts to come away from
the screen or the board there is nothing you can do about it. (a problem fixed in the rackmounts)

The method you describe for putting in the new back light from ebay
is about as cactus as you can get 8O (no offence).

You need you gently pry apart the black plastic housing (with the screen facing down on a bench or table)
at the corners only, by gently wiggling a thin flat head screwdriver or a razor blade between the two pieces.
holding at one corner work on the opposite corner and so on, be slow and gentle.

Once it comes apart, peel off the old back light from the rear of the housing as it is glued in then remove old glue.
and once out use a couple of pieces of double sided tape to hold the new back-light in place. then solder in new wires as
normal and reassemble. Keep in mind with regular use the back light will burn out again as the FZ's have always
suffered from premature burnout.

Rara 0-)
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 am

I should say at the outset that I do not own an FZ or VZ 1 Synth, nor am I familiar with the

backlighting arrangement they use . . .

However, - I moderate on a couple of forums that deal exclusively with the Alesis Fusion Workstation,

of which I have two . . .

The Fusion's LCD panel is illuminated by a CCFL (miniature fluorescent tube), which is also subject

to early failure.

In common with other legacied boards, spares are dwindling and are generally expensive . . . .

One of our members <splinters> devised a solution using freely available led strip to step around the CCFL

to provide a robust and long life solution for around £5 . . . . (Leds typically >50000 Hrs mtbf)

It really requires an owner to look at the logistics of this to decide if it's possible as regards the

space available near the LCD - and the availability of a suitable voltage nearby, to power the leds . . .

Nevertheless - perhaps it represents an alternative? :confusion-confused:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 am

parametric wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:57 am
I should say at the outset that I do not own an FZ or VZ 1 Synth, nor am I familiar with the

backlighting arrangement they use . . .

However, - I moderate on a couple of forums that deal exclusively with the Alesis Fusion Workstation,

of which I have two . . .

The Fusion's LCD panel is illuminated by a CCFL (miniature fluorescent tube), which is also subject

to early failure.

In common with other legacied boards, spares are dwindling and are generally expensive . . . .

One of our members <splinters> devised a solution using freely available led strip to step around the CCFL

to provide a robust and long life solution for around £5 . . . . (Leds typically >50000 Hrs mtbf)

Fusion LCD Backlight Failure and Remedy by Splinters .pdf

It really requires an owner to look at the logistics of this to decide if it's possible as regards the

space available near the LCD - and the availability of a suitable voltage nearby, to power the leds . . .

Nevertheless - perhaps it represents an alternative? :confusion-confused:

parametric
I looked at doing that myself when I started making my own LED backlight screen for the lcd.
(perhaps I should revisit the backlight again myself) It will work, IIRC i had the LEDS for the backlight
in my first attempt sticking out of the only side which was free. so perhaps the strip you suggest will work that
way ..... :think:

there is very little space behind the screen inside the black housing. at best I'd say you have about 1mm to play
with. what makes it more difficult is the three 6cm wide ribbon cables attached to the screen on three of the four sides.
At the time then, i was unable to find a strip of SMD LEDs small enough to fit in the LCD housing

Another alternative is an Iphone4 backlight with your suggestion of par64 filters to change the colour.
power for the LEDs is easy, as that comes from the disabled inverter. :-)

Rara 0-)
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon May 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Rara wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 am
there is very little space behind the screen inside the black housing. at best I'd say you have about 1mm to play
with. what makes it more difficult is the three 6cm wide ribbon cables attached to the screen on three of the four sides.
At the time then, i was unable to find a strip of SMD LEDs small enough to fit in the LCD housing
That's interesting Rara, if a little depressing that options are so constrained due to space and layout. . . :roll:

To have a board become a doorstop purely because you can't see the display IS SO frustrating . . :roll:

Saul and I visited Casio here in the UK last year at their HQ to see and try their Hybrid Grands and

the new PX-S1000 and 3000. We were very well received and many notes were taken at the

brainstorming session we had there.

Perhaps they could be asked if there is any more recent thoughts on how their older boards can

be maintained? @<Saul>?

(I'd like to see a re-imagining of the DH-100 midi Horn - at a "Casio-Pricepoint . . for instance ((i)) )
Rara wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 am
Another alternative is an Iphone4 backlight with your suggestion of par64 filters to change the colour.
power for the LEDs is easy, as that comes from the disabled inverter. :-)

Rara 0-)
That's an interesting possibility if it can be shoehorned in there somehow? . . . .

One millimeter is not much room, for sure . . . :o

(I rescued my M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 Recorder with a iPhone Battery - so Phone-parts ARE a resource) (Y)

DO let us know how it goes if you decide to proceed . . . . 8-)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm

I am due to visit Casio at some point this week so will ask. I doubt though that any of their current staff in the UK would know much about the older synths but you never know.

I have not seen the inside of the FZ-1 but is there no way to just replace the whole display altogether, perhaps moving it external to the keyboard?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon May 13, 2019 3:21 pm

@ Rara . . . .

I did find this just now on ebay . . . . .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5348 ... olid=20008 This one is WHITE

Also there is this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5348 ... olid=20008 Which is BLUE

Annoyingly, the See other items link doesn't work . . . :roll:

A cheap solution, if it will just slot in . . . ?

The terminals are on ONE side - which ties in with your remark that the other 3 sides have ribbon cables?

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

User avatar Australia
Rara

Unread post by Rara » Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 am

Saul wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm
I am due to visit Casio at some point this week so will ask. I doubt though that any of their current staff in the UK would know much about the older synths but you never know.

I have not seen the inside of the FZ-1 but is there no way to just replace the whole display altogether, perhaps moving it external to the keyboard?
Not as simple as that I think. Much of what of learnt about the LCD in this I have forgotten already.
The original screen is the same screen used in the graphing calculators of the time (FX-7000?)
pixel dimensions were 96 wide x 64 tall or the other way around in the FZ-1. there aren't any
after market screens that'd be a drop in replacement. Which IIRC also had something to do with the way the FZ-1 sent data to the screen driver board. There are after market screens of that size today,
however they are only 2.5cm screens, such as those in small mp3 players eg early Samsung YP series.
parametric wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:21 pm
@ Rara . . . .

I did find this just now on ebay . . . . .

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5348 ... olid=20008 This one is WHITE

Also there is this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5348 ... olid=20008 Which is BLUE

Annoyingly, the See other items link doesn't work . . . :roll:

A cheap solution, if it will just slot in . . . ?

The terminals are on ONE side - which ties in with your remark that the other 3 sides have ribbon cables?

parametric
I had a look at other items, it seems to be working now, there is loads of other backlights on there.
I'd be hesitant in putting a foil back in, I'd be changing it again in about 18 months. I do remember seeing and playing with an FZ-1 in the early 90's and even with my then fresh eyes, black text on a blue backlight was hard to read.

This will show what a horror story the screen is viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10666#p66542

After some searching I found the page which describes the Iphone backlight I mentioned earlier and the filters :-D :clap:

http://forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic ... 90#p789525

Rara 0-)

Return to “Other Casio Keyboards - MZ, VZ1, FZ-1, CZ-1, CZ-5000, XW-G1, XW-P1”