Classic synths & pianos

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
TinW

VZ1 Audio and keys

Unread post by TinW » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Hi all.
Came across this while idly surfing.

I have 2 casio synths in my collection. A VZ1 and a CZ101. The VZ was second hand and the CZ I bought brand new a long time ago. I have 3 problems with the VZ -
1. The display has a fault on one of the lines.
2. The Line Out L and R are intermittent, quiet and crackly at best
3. The rubber key contacts are shot.

Number 1 is no major problem, but the other two are.

I`m a fairly amatuer electronics person but I know my way around enough to fix certain problems, but my guess is that with 2, maybe the op amps have a problem, but the headphone outputs are fine, which is how its connected at the moment.
Number 3 is real pain as I cant use the keys, and I have to use it as a glorified rack unit, and I`d like to be able to use it as a controller keyboard, rather than using my Roland piano. I have cleaned the pads and circuit boards at least 3 times, all to no avail.

Hopefully some of you out there can suggest a fix for the last two
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VZ1 Audio and keys

Unread post by Saul » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi tinW, welcome to the forums :)

Casio VZ1 is one of my favourite keyboards. Unfortunately, I have not owned one since the early '90s. I always intended to buy another but never got around to it.

I assume you have cleaned the outputs in order to eliminate oxidisation of contacts etc? The low volume level does indicate you may be on the right track with the op-amps though.

As for the key contacts. It would be unusual for the contacts on all keys to be affected in the same way. Do none of the keys produce sound at all?

If they are all dead It would indicate something more than a contact issue.
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
TinW

Unread post by TinW » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for the reply Saul.

No not all the keys are dead. As you mentioned, if it was all of them I would have suspected something else. Its just various ones, and working them several times `can` get them to work.....but not for long. I`ve been trying to source something similar, but to no avail. I did actually email Casio enquiring if they had any old stock. Had a very polite reply from them saying `Unfortunately due to the age of the instrument, they are no longer available.` I have seen other dual contact strips that are similar. I was wondering if anyone might know of a similar strip from a different Casio instrument, or even a different manufacturer altogether might fit.

Out of my collection, the VZ1 and CZ101 are probably my favourites.

Just for anybodys interest, the keyboards I have are these:-
Roland HP2700 piano.
Roland D110 rack mount
Yamaha YS200 (220v)
Yamaha TG55 rack mount (220V)
Yamaha TX7 (unfortunately non functional :( also 220V)
Kawai K1
Enoniq ESQ1
Casio VZ1
Casio CZ101
SEIL EX80 expander (needs PSU and TMS7000N2L processor)
Crumar Trilogy (220v)

I wonder how many in the forum have any of these or had experience of them.
User avatar Australia
Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Rara » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am

Hello, I had an FZ1, so there may be some relevant experience....

First issue, screen, it'll be oxidation of the contact between
the screen and the zebra contact strips it sits on. I had a similar issue
with my boss dr550mk2, ( Also dropouts of lines on my FZ1 a remotely similar issue)
however the screen on my drum machine was not as complex as the VZ1 is, so don't go there ;-)

Second issue, relates to my CZ's, check for broken grounds on the audio out sockets.
clean out the volume slider and check (or better replace) the relay on the audio board
if any thing like cz's it'll be somewhere near the output sockets. its its an omron brand about 1cmx2cm

Third issue, key contacts. good luck finding them. my FZ1 had dead keys also. (more than likely is the
exactly the same part as whats in the VZ1). I removed all the contact strips and cleaned them all.
give it a few months to a year those affected keys were dead again. There are tubes of contact
restorer, IIRC someone posted a link to it somewhere on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Rara 0-)
TinW

Unread post by TinW » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks for the pointers Rara. I will look around for a contact restorer and see if that helps. The display I can live with,, its only 1 line, I will pull my VZ apart again at some point and check the audio socket grounds. So far I havent had any probs with the CZ101 keys, but there again I dont use them much. I love the CZ even tho it looks like a childs toy lol.

TinW
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Rara wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 am
There are tubes of contact restorer, IIRC someone posted a link to it somewhere on this forum.
It might have been me . . . . . ;)

So many items come with these rubber keypads nowadays. TV Remotes, cordless phones - most any R/C really . . .

I bought one of these products and tried to restore a cordless phone . . . .

This is not the product I bought - but is essentially the same . . .

DO TAKE A LOOK at The <sponsored Products> shown below on this link (& see below*)

Worth noting - it is VERY FIDDLY to get the stuff exactly where you want it - cotton bud or q-tip, to apply.

The stuff thickens when stood for long times - so need stirring WELL to get a uniform consistency . . .

After application it may quickly look like it's DONE . . . . it may be dry - yes - but it need to "cure" . . .

so the "pad" attaches successfully to the rubber . . . . Leave it longer . . . . . for best chance of success

IME - it doesn't seem to last very long. The "pads" you have created don't really seem to "become one" with the rubber :(

Insufficient curing times seem to make failure SOONER . . . . :roll: The pads "detach" and rattle around inside . .

with somewhat "random results :(

If truth be told - I believe that the original carbon is impregnated into the rubber during manufacture, and THAT

is a difficult thing to mimic with an aftermarket product . . . .

So I guess, results will vary . . . . . you might be better at it than me ;)

*Another "possibility" might be this:

Adhesive copper tape - maybe use a paper punch to make "contact-sized rounds" to fit the contact rubber?

There IS a thinner tape (5mm) - it depends how good you are with the paper punch . . . :lol:

perhaps this helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
TinW

Unread post by TinW » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks for that info Parametric. Definately worth a try. Im pretty handy with a punch so the copper might be worth a try. I`ll let everone know how I get on, when I can finally dismantle the VZ and keep the parts away from a 2yr old :D
User avatar Australia
Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Rara » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 pm

:mrgreen:
TinW wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 pm
Thanks for the pointers Rara. I will look around for a contact restorer and see if that helps. The display I can live with,, its only 1 line, I will pull my VZ apart again at some point and check the audio socket grounds. So far I havent had any probs with the CZ101 keys, but there again I dont use them much. I love the CZ even tho it looks like a childs toy lol.

TinW
Your welcome ☺ cz101 is casio's chamealeon.
I had searched for sometime on contact strips for
My fz1 to no avail sadly.

Rara 0-)
TinW

Unread post by TinW » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Were you ever able to repair the key contacts? Yes the CZ101 was a definately chameleon. Looks like a toy but definately , in my humble opinion,a (excuse the phrase) balls out analogue style synth.

TinW
User avatar Australia
Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Rara » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:04 am

TinW wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:27 pm
Were you ever able to repair the key contacts? Yes the CZ101 was a definitely chameleon. Looks like a toy but definitely , in my humble opinion,a (excuse the phrase) balls out analogue style synth.

TinW
I didn't have the contacts fixed, they where last on the list of repairs i wanted to do.

Rara 0-)
TinW

Unread post by TinW » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:14 pm

I just ordered some contact repair. I`ll let all know how the stuff works when it gets here :D

TinW
User avatar Australia
Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Rara » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:27 am

I'll be interested in the result :-)

Rara :-)

Return to “Other Casio Keyboards - MZ, VZ1, FZ-1, CZ-1, CZ-5000, XW-G1, XW-P1”