Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CASIOTONE is back!

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:41 am

Hi Shelly,

Given your "portable" requirement, I would definitely look again at the PX-S1000.

At only 25lbs, it would be a doddle to carry, and CAN run on batteries (for camping).

The bluetooth connectivity would enable you to interact with mp3s on your phone as well.

The Chordana app is free and will run on both Android and iOS devices . . . (or PC and Mac)

Obviously, a tablet would be a better screen size than a phone . . .either will fit on the provided stand.

The Chordana App is briefly shown towards the end of this video . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:20 am

Worth mentioning though that if using an iPad or iPhone for Chordana you do also need a Apple Camera Connection kit. You can't just plug the iPad/iPhone direct into the PX. https://amzn.to/2SPGyHa
apple-camera-connection-kit.png
Apple Camera Connection Kit
apple-camera-connection-kit.png (21.23 KiB) Viewed 618 times
This may change with the iPadOS because apparently Apple have opened up the system so you can connect hard drives etc direct to the iPad. That may negate the need for the Connection Kit. iPadOS I think is appearing in Sept?

The Casio PX-S1000 is an ideal keyboard for taking out and about. Ok it is not in the same portability class as the new Casiotone keyboards but still, for a 88 note weighted hammer action keyboard with speakers it is still pretty easy to move around :)

When I had the PX-S1000 here I mostly played it on battery power. I actually got very used to not having a power lead trailing from the back. There is something very liberating about that. (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar United States of America
shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:48 am

Thank you! I'll check it out. It's really slimline, which is something I was looking for even before I found this great website. :)
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Casio just put out a new video which, is really just a variation on the other Summer Namm video they did. Again not much here in the way of sounds of the CTS but I guess these are all about portability, low price and fun rather than wonderful quality acoustic piano samples and so on.

Anyway here is Rich Formidoni doing what he does best.

Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:29 am

Yes, thank you, that gives me a better idea of what they are like. I need a quick grab-and-go keyboard to practice with. I've already figured out a song that I really like, so it's a matter of knowing what the chords are. And practicing a lot. I can figure things out by ear but I need to know what I'm playing. I love the Privia, and that would be wonderful to have. Really wonderful. :) The contest for the Privia actually brought me here. But .... my husband wants to build a wooden fence so that's where the $$ go this time. Oh well .. :) In the future I'm very interested in that particular digital piano. The portability is part of the attraction and the amazing sound too. For something inexpensive (for now) I was even looking at the CT-X700 because it's lightweight as well. (This is embarrassing ... but I even thought about the light-up keys to learn faster). I'm wanting a crash course. When I couldn't play anymore, singing became less frequent. I literally was not used to singing without my guitar. My voice has started to atrophy a little so now I'm serious about learning faster. I guess I feel that when I've "earned" a better instrument, I'll upgrade. The MZ is more than adequate for home use but I'll probably get something inexpensive to use away from home.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:28 am

I wouldn't be embarrassed about the light up keys option. Whatever helps you learn is great :)

Just a thought but, the Casio MZ is still a popular keyboard and I think were you to sell it you could certainly get enough cash to buy something like a brand new Casio CDP-S100, Roland Go Piano or Yamaha P45 :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:37 pm

I have thought about it and also selling a 12 string guitar I have.. The MZ is massively huge and heavy. It would have to be a local sell. There are not many people who own an MZ and some on the Casio forums who want one. I've seen them on Ebay for around $350 or so, not including shipping, which would be very expensive..

This is interesting, but shortly after I bought it, I had a question about operating it and sent a message to Casio. I also told them how nice many of the sounds were. (Some of them really are). The man who responded said, "Thank you for the kudos .. " And then I can't remember if he said he designed it or was one of the men who designed it. (That, at least, is what he told me..) He must have been having a bad day, sounded really bummed in his note, because he expressed some disappointment over how many of them were selling. He talked about how people were used to a low price point in the Casio line of keyboards. I think Yamaha was making nice arranger keyboards at the time too.

Anyway, I don't think they made many and for some of the Casio enthusiasts it was a prize, and still is, but for most, they opted for keyboards that cost less. A lot of thought went into them and the same man who wrote back to me back thought it was going to start a new opportunity to sell serious keyboards that upped the usual offering. I told him they were awesome (even though I was like little duck floating in an ocean in regard to figuring it out) and that I would put the word out. By pouring over the manual, I did figure some of how the MZ operated but my love was for guitars so it was set aside. I like how acoustic guitar blends so smoothly with voice. Easy to take places to play.

All of this to say, that you actually kindled an appreciation and curiosity to give the MZ a try. Using a floppy disk isn't the best way nowadays to save your work but I want to play with it. I never learned MIDI, but I never tried. If I get really desirous to expand (that would be great if I ever reached that point).. I will try to find a buyer here or in neighboring cities to sell the MZ. I always check Marketplace on Facebook for digital pianos and keyboards). Casio finally got the chance to make serious instruments and have truly made a name for themselves. I think that's cool :) The Privia is an example and the price makes it achievable for many people, so they have stayed true to affordability.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 pm

I don't know a great deal about the MZ but it looks like it could have been the inspiration for Yamaha's Tyros which didn't arrive on the scene until 3 years after the release of the MZ 2000.

Another interesting thing about the MZ is that is has a full blown synth on board! I didn't realise that until reading about it today. So you can actually create your own sounds with it. Casio were so ahead of the curve back then.

Perhaps the MZ didn't sell very well first because of the price which I think was around £1000 but also because of reputation. In the two most important markets, the USA and UK, the 'Casio' name was not associated with high end keyboards and the MZ was definitely a high end keyboard!

The reality is Casio had always made great keyboards, they were just hampered by a name more associated with general consumer electronics. This is why they came up with the 'Privia' name but it has still taken many years for it to emerge as a front runner.

Now of course Casio are well and truly up there with Yamaha, Roland and KORG so we no longer talk about "the big three" but the "big four" :)

I am sure you could find a buyer for the MZ fairly local. People will drive hundreds of miles for one of these keyboards :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:00 pm

I found an inexpensive Casio keyboard at a yard sale (CTK-611) for only $10. I gave it to my 11 year old grandaughter and I'll practice chords at my daughter's house while I babysit.. (that ends up being about 8 1/2 hours). I'm trying to not be distracted by the tones and quickly finding out that it can be a little frustrating. If there is anything I'm learning to appreciate about the MZ, it's the aftertouch feature. When I get a nice digital piano or keyboard, I'm hoping I will find one with that. Time to start saving money. For my inexpensive keyboard to pack around, I'm probably going to get a CT-X700.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Aftertouch is a rare commodity on keyboards these days Shelly. You will normally only find it on controller keyboards in the sub $1000 price range. Even above that price there are not many keyboards with aftertouch.

It is only really useful in synth patches so if you primarily play acoustic piano it is not such a loss.

From my own perspective the better the quality of sound the more inclined I am to play. Hence if I fire up a good quality controller keyboard along with Pianoteq modeling software I can play for hours :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

I found this tonight. Jeremy See on YouTube unboxes a red CT-S200.

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks Shelly :)

Obviously the sounds are not on par with the CT-X700/CDP-S100/PX-S1000 but then looking at the price that is hardly surprising. One thing I really don't get though is why produce any keyboard these days that doesn't have touch response? Makes no sense because everything you play will be at the same volume.

Still, as a fun keyboard to play around on and at that price point I think it will sell very well (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:05 pm

I think the CT-S300 would be the better choice. I would use it for the Chordana App. The fact that it is built tough fits the other purpose of portability but for another hundred or less you can get something that sounds amazing.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Over here in the UK the CT-S300 and CT-X700 are pretty much the same price so I would definitely go with the CT-X700. It sounds better and is just as portable...minus the built in carry handle of course.

I think in the USA the CT-X700 is around $179.00 and the CT-S300 is around $140.00 so more of a marked price difference.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624

Unread post by shelly0624 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm

It's a no-brainer for sure. I've seen CT-X700 keyboards for around $155.00 on Amazon ..even with a few accessories, but I'm uneasy about customer returns and possible refurbs. Any electronics I've ever bought that were refurbs went gunny-sack after a year or year and a half. I've seen used ones on popular music supply webstores for that too ..I hesitate. Maybe people haven't had the same experiences I've had. There is one well-known music dealership that I learned to avoid. Even on one of their customer reviews somebody bought a CT-X700 (B-stock) that didn't work and they had to take it back. That's fine if you buy it from the store..harder if you have to mail it back..

Return to “Other Casio Keyboards - MZ, VZ1, FZ-1, CZ-1, CZ-5000, XW-G1, XW-P1”