Casio PX-560 - first impressions.

Casio have made some great keyboards over the years and not always received the credit they deserved. If you have a Casio this is your section. Post your reviews, questions and opinions here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Casio PX-560 - first impressions.

Unread post by SysExJohn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:16 pm

As promised over in a chill-out thread.

After having received my Casio PX-560 this morning, I unpacked and set up the Casio stand and pedals for it, and secured the keyboard to the top.
Now I'm ready to post my first impressions here.
I'll add to them with a fuller review as I become more familiar with it.

So, pleased? Yes, definitely.

Very well packed and wrapped in a moderately sturdy box.
Looks 'the biz' when removed from the packing. Both my wife (a very important part of the equation) and I are pleased with the appearance.
On the stand it feels sturdy and is well supported. The stand comes with a square metal rod that screws to the underside of the keyboard case.
Four butterfly bolts hold the PX to the stand. The pedal board has a special cable (non -standard) that fits into the underside of the keyboard.

And the PX-560?
Great feeling keyboard from my point of view.
Susanne's comment "it feels like a real piano keyboard!" Said with some surprise. She had proper piano lessons as a child.
Graded Hammer action? Oh yes. Slightly heavier low down, lighter up higher.
Concert grand? I doubt it, maybe an upright.
The keys kinda bounce like the real thing, with a slight knock when played strongly. I think the Yamaha 255 keys were a little quieter.
No complaints though.

The other thing with the keys is, they aren't shiny and slippery like most synth key tops.
They call them imitation ivory and ebony. They have a good feel under the finger tips.

And the sound?
Haven't tried very much yet, but I'm really pleased with the main concert grand sound.
The volume control seems to have plenty of reserve and the sound from the built in speakers is plenty loud enough for practice in my lounge.
I'm guessing you'd need more for gigging.

The inbuilt colour screen is very good, set at a slight angle to make it easy to see when playing.
The screen is actually larger than that of my mobile phone. It seems to respond well to the touch.
Endless menus. Perhaps I'll get to grips with some of them fairly quickly. The ones I tried seemed intuitive, to access the voices, effects, splits, etc.

Negatives?
Yes, nothing's prefect, and at this price there have to be some cost savings.
The case although cool looking is not made of the strongest material. I'd want a well padded gig bag if I was going to transport it around.
It feels sturdy enough though.
The same goes for the volume control and the three controller knobs on the top surface. They feel a bit cheap, I'd say.
The pitch bend and mod wheel too are not of the highest quality. A bit plasticky.
The ones on my Graphite are better, I think. But then they are unexpectedly good for the price.

Overall, we're well pleased with our purchase.
That's it for today, I'm off to practise a Scarlatti sonata or two ... who am I kidding?

John.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
Swithin
Romania

Re: Casio PX-560 - first impressions.

Unread post by Swithin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Any second impressions on the PX-560, now that you've had it for almost a year and a half? I've read many accounts of Privia keys getting noisy over time - but most of those accounts were about older models (PX-x50, PX-5S). Have you experienced such issues (or any other problems worth mentioning)?
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:47 pm

I would be interested in an update on this too John. How are things now you have had it for a while?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SysExJohn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Uganda

Unread post by SysExJohn » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:10 am

Sorry guys,

Only just noticed the new posts to this, I must inadvertently have unsubscribed from the thread.
Busy right now, but I'll try to find some time in the next day or two to add some feedback.
N.B. Chris (aka Parametric) dropped in some time back and played the 560 for a little while.
He added some feedback here too.
MIDI Tutor forum at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi.
UW500; 2xMU1000 + PLGs AN, DX, VL, VH & PF; SC8850; EWI4000s + VL70m; Samson Graphite 49.
AN1x, Novation X-Station 25. E-MU 02 cardbus + 1616m x 2. Sonar 7 PE. XGworks ST. & SQ01.
Garritan GPO4, COMB2, JABB3, IO, Organs, Steinway, World, Harps + GPO5 ... and now CFX lite.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Yes indeed I did John . . .

Here's a link for anyone who missed it: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=9533&p=55615&hilit=Casio#p55567

I tried some of my more Classically oriented compositions on it, and I can report that it dealt very well with the "ornaments" I played (turns and trills) - so the weighted keyboard allows GOOD intonation of such things.

I would say that as an instrument, it covers a lot of bases. It looks nice, as a Piano against the wall in the lounge - which will certainly placate the ladies (and the guys . . . . no sexism here :wink: . . ), and it's light enough to consider as a Stage Piano - and sturdy enough.

I didn't have time to go through all the Voices, but those I tried were satisfying.

A lot of Piano for a great price I would say.

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Casio Keyboard Forum - CT-X, MZ, VZ1, FZ-1, CZ-1, CZ-5000, XW-G1, XW-P1”