My MODX-created piano music

Post music you have created here. Doesn't have to be pro quality. the idea is to share and get feedback :)

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
mitya

My MODX-created piano music

Unread post by mitya » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Just launched my YouTube/SoundCloud channels of my piano interpretations of well-known pieces of music.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjaamX ... D7wR_P1qLQ

All lovingly created on the MODX's beautiful CFX Grand.

Thanks in advance to anyone who checks it out!
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My MODX-created piano music

Unread post by parametric » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Mitya - what can I say? . . . .

You have a formidable, well-learned and well-executed TECHNIQUE for the Piano. :clap:

I particularly liked the brisk arpeggiated sections of "Let it Happen" and "More than this" . . .

The melodies are clearly intoned and pleasingly prominent (as they should be :wink: ).

Admirable delicacy of touch well-demonstrates The MODX's keybed touch sensitivity, under your control . . . :wink:

All in all, it's an excellent demonstration of your technique - AND the MODX8 as a Serious Instrument.

I would guess that you are of the opinion that there is NOTHING that you could get from an Acoustic Piano,

that you couldn't get from the MODX :wink: under your hands? . . . . .

Your playing style is similar to my own, insamuch as I always feel obliged to create a PERFORMANCE - whatever I play . . . .

It must have a Bass-line, a melody and (in between) ALL that makes up and DEFINES the Harmony . . . . and of course, the Tempo . .

This can be problematic, if you have it in mind to create a multi-instrument TRACK out of it . . . . ?

Recording (say) the Bass separately, and then the harmonic fills etc. is tortuous and tends to destroy the feel of "the performance".

In this case, I use the complete performance, and try to extract-out the various parts - so that feel isn't lost . . . (IYSWIM)

Anyway - GREAT Music - and showcases the CFX very well . . . What's NOT to like? :lol:

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
mitya

Unread post by mitya » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Thanks for your very kind words, Parametric.

As regards touch, well, I tend to expect very little from electric pianos and higher-end synths with hammer-touch. To me they're always going to be a world away from a real piano feel.

Thing is, I'm not sure why. Is it, perhaps, that to support the true weighting associated with piano guys you need the bulk of an accoustic piano's construction?

Even the higher-end Kronos, Fantom and Nord boards seem more like organ keys than piano ones. So as for feel, the MODX is OK, definitely not the worst out there, but as a pianist first and foremost it's never going to rock my world.

The piano sampling, however, is fantastic. It's been done really well, from percussive low ends to thwacky top-ends. You really get a sound that belies the touch of the thing you're playing.

The only thing I'd say is there seems to be inconsistency across the keys in terms of velocity. Some (mostly black) keys seem a little unresponsive, while others I have a lot more confidence in. Could just be my board. Perhaps I should utilise tha 2-year warranty...

As for recording parts separately, it's something I try to avoid. Again I guess I'm coming from an accoustic piano background, where you can either play the piece in one go or you can't. I guess I want people hearing the music to find it pianistically believable. I will admit, though, to recording the occasional songs in chunks, say if I get 4 minutes in then hit a wrong note. Sod that.. these two sections are getting glued together in Wavepad!

Do you have any of your music online I can check out?
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:40 am

mitya wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:18 pm
Thanks for your very kind words, Parametric.
No problem. Always nice to hear Piano done well . .
mitya wrote:
As regards touch, well, I tend to expect very little from electric pianos and higher-end synths with hammer-touch. To me they're always going to be a world away from a real piano feel.

Thing is, I'm not sure why. Is it, perhaps, that to support the true weighting associated with piano guys you need the bulk of an accoustic piano's construction?

Even the higher-end Kronos, Fantom and Nord boards seem more like organ keys than piano ones. So as for feel, the MODX is OK, definitely not the worst out there, but as a pianist first and foremost it's never going to rock my world.
I understand what you are saying. The BULK of a real Piano does indeed have an effect on the "feel" which is difficult to explain

to someone who hasn't "come from there" IYSWIM.

When I still worked at the Uni, we had many good Pianos. Three Steinway Grands, including a very LONG one that lived on the Main Stage.

We had Several Yamaha Grands too, including a midi Grand + a lot of Yamaha Uprights . . . . I installed 10 new ones in the

practice rooms just before I was made redundant . . . .

Though I can't comment on the Keybed, when I was onstage with Rick Wakeman a while back at the RFH, he played one of his more

"Pianistic" compositions "Dance of 1000 Lights" - I noticed he used the Kronos' "Piano" - which sounded just fine . . .

He also has the Fantom X8 and indeed a Montage8 (though it wasn't in his rig THAT night IIRC).

Still, doing what he does - he's entitled (and can afford) to have all the Flagships if he feels he needs those sounds, I guess . . :lol:
mitya wrote:
The piano sampling, however, is fantastic. It's been done really well, from percussive low ends to thwacky top-ends. You really get a sound that belies the touch of the thing you're playing.

The only thing I'd say is there seems to be inconsistency across the keys in terms of velocity. Some (mostly black) keys seem a little unresponsive, while others I have a lot more confidence in. Could just be my board. Perhaps I should utilise tha 2-year warranty...
I agree. Yamaha has never had a problem with QUALITY Sounds. I guess it's experience gained over time?

They really know what they are doing IMO . . . .

As regards the inconsistency - have you tried messing with the velocity curves? A different one might suit you better?
mitya wrote:
As for recording parts separately, it's something I try to avoid. Again I guess I'm coming from an accoustic piano background, where you can either play the piece in one go or you can't. I guess I want people hearing the music to find it pianistically believable. I will admit, though, to recording the occasional songs in chunks, say if I get 4 minutes in then hit a wrong note. Sod that.. these two sections are getting glued together in Wavepad!
I agree. As Pianists, we will always try to get the best out of the instrument we are seated at . . . . it seem to be automatic.

We adapt our playing seamlessly, with our ears letting us know how we're doing . . . .

As a player myself, I always try to make the performance as FULL as possible . . . it just seems natural to me, to do so . . . . .

I've often been told that my performances are too THICK with content . . . . .

This is of course completely the opposite to what is required when you try to arrange for multiple instruments on different tracks.

If I try to play different portions of the whole SEPARATELY it just ends up sounding WOODEN - the Feel is gone . . . .

So, to create a portion as a track I have to analyse "The Whole" and selectively mute the midi events - so the feel is not lost . . IYSWIM?
mitya wrote:
Do you have any of your music online I can check out?
Here's one, which I like to describe as "Classical":

When Saul and I visited Yamaha some time ago at Milton Keynes, to take a look at the New CP-88, His Wife Sasha filmed me playing

a bit of it on the CP-88 . . . . here: (I really ought to learn to smile a bit more :lol: )

The String fade-ins/outs are a bit "sus" as I don't normally use the FC-7 pedal and am not proficient in it's use . . . . :wink:

Another of mine - "Riders on the Skyline" - that started as a Piano Piece, but ended up "instrumentalised", is here:

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

mitya

Unread post by mitya » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Nice playing man! You make the CP 88 sound particularly nice. Hadn't heard that instrument before; love the woody feel to it.

Consider yourself followed on SoundCloud.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 am

Thankyou - mitya . . . :)

It was only a flying visit to Yamaha, so I just sat down and played something familiar . . . .

In no way is it indicative of what the CP-88 is capable of, so I just went with Piano and Strings, which I am a succor for :oops:

It's a great board to play and is good and solid construction with a pleasing touch to the keybed . . . definitely a Pro Stage Piano . . .

Thanks for the "follow" on SoundCloud . . . .

I don't post there that often, only when I feel something is "finished" (and even then, stuff occasionally gets "updated" when I

have a mind to start "fiddling" again.) :lol:

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Return to “User Music Corner”