FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

My original piece on the Yamaha Montage 8

Post music you have created here. Doesn't have to be pro quality. the idea is to share and get feedback :)

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Chummy Israel

My original piece on the Yamaha Montage 8

Unread post by Chummy »

"The Ragtime Party"

My original Ragtime piece. Played by me (the composer). In case Ragtimers and music appreciators would like to have a listen. I kinda like my execution here although there may had been a little bit of overpedaling (towards the end) than what I would have intended due to not really being used to MIDI Pedal and its interaction with that Piano preset. I wish I could record it on a real piano, but recording a real piano is a tedious process and requires expensive mics which I don't have access to.

The piece is dedicated to Tom Brier and Ron O'dell and inspired by their Ragtime Party YT videos, usually at Skunk Hollow. Tom Brier is a prolific Ragtime composer and pianist who lost his ability to play on 2015 due to severe car accident. Ron O'dell also known as Keeper1st on YT is a Ragtime Composer known for "Mad Scientist Rag".

I have like 5-6 more already finished pieces I composed and plan to upload vid of at some point, and transcribe all into sheet music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7wDUcrwp8c
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Re: My original piece on the Yamaha Montage 8

Unread post by parametric »

Very Nice Chummy.

There's a lot going on there with strong melodic phrases all driven along by that Stride-Bass.

Must be a lot of practice required to get it that good with all those hand position changes . . .

My Dad used to play a lot of Billy Mayerl - which, although not RagTime, did have similar Stride style in the LH.

Did you nail the sustain pedal down?

I always seem to end up chasing it around on the floor with my foot . . . :roll:

Clavinova or a Real Piano is more comfortable for this :lol:

I agree, miking up a Real Piano in a domestic environment is difficult - as they are almost always NOT placed

well in the room . . . + you DO need decent Mikes . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Great job Chummy. Very nicely played indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And THAT folks is why I stick to guitar. My piano hands will simply never work like that ;) :/:
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
Chummy Israel

Unread post by Chummy »

Thanks guys. I didn't nail the pedal although I have to be barefoot for it not to move. I still think the feel and response of it could be better. Maybe it's because I am using an old cheap chinese pedal. I don't know really. Ragtime just comes naturally to me to improvise in real time and compose. It's just I'm so familiar with the genre to the point where I hear music when there isn't one.

Ask me about Baroque music or classical and I'm mostly stumped though
Chummy Israel

Unread post by Chummy »

Saul wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:47 pm Great job Chummy. Very nicely played indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And THAT folks is why I stick to guitar. My piano hands will simply never work like that ;) :/:
Haha.. are there any videos of you playing? I always wanted to play guitar and I did learn for 2 years at some point, but the only thing I know is a few chords :( and even then I suck. Sticking to my ukulele. I wish I'd play like Issei Noro, Casiopea's guitarist whose happen to also use mainly Yamaha gear. He's so good, not only the technique, some of the sounds he makes out of his guitars are simply magical.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

Yeah I am not as good a player as I should be. Too many years not pushing myself, comfortable with what I play and so on. It's a trap a lot of guitarists and musicians in general fall into and it's so easy to do.

Having said that, I do play a lot more things than I used to although most of it is ad-hoc so not recorded.

The only things online are on the YouTube channel and they are all snippets of stuff improvised on the spot.

Really it's just a matter of more structured practice and stretching myself a little more however work does get in the way and the bills need to be paid so time is always a bit of a luxury I don't have. I am sure we could all do with more of that ;)
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.