Should a newbie buy a MO6?

This section is for the Yamaha Motif MO, MM6 and MM8 Keyboards

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
CaseyH

Should a newbie buy a MO6?

Unread post by CaseyH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:04 am

Hi, I’m actually a drummer, but my band has been talking about adding a keyboard. I was at a jam session at the house of someone in another band and I really fell in love with the sounds on their MO8. I’d love 88 keys, but I don’t want to transport such a large instrument to practice and shows, so I’m thinking of the MO6. I know it’s an old model, but I’m hoping that will make it less expensive. I’m afraid it’s heavier than I want, though.

I’ve never bought a keyboard before, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. The MO6 might be too much keyboard for me, as a beginner. I don’t really need beats at this point, and I have no idea how to handle the layering and recording capabilities of a complicated workstation. Basically, I used to play piano as a kid and can improvise a little. But I really love realistic sounds. I tried another friend’s keyboard and was completely uninspired by the fake sounding “organ” and “guitar” sounds.

I’m looking for a 61-key keyboard with sounds that will inspire me and that isn’t too complicated. The easier to transport, the better. Is there something you would recommend as an alternative to the MO6? Or is the MO6 a reasonable place to start?
javelin276

Re: Should a newbie buy a MO6?

Unread post by javelin276 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:20 am

I have a Motif XF (newer) and a Motif Rack (older than the Mo6) so I can relate to the high quality voices and super realistic sounds of the Motif line of synths. Looking quickly on ebay, I see a MoX6 for the same price as a Mo6. You may want to check out the other Motif synths before making your choice, don't just look at the oldest model.
It's worth tapping into all of the superb voices if that's all you need. You don't have to use all the extra recording stuff in the synth at all, but you might find the arpeggios useful. It makes you sound better than you really are.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi CaseyH, a very warm welcome to the forums :)

Are you looking at the MO6 because of budget or because you definitely want that particular keyboard?

I have owned the MO, MOX, MOXF and XS. I skipped the XF and ended up with the MODX. So have been through a fair range of these keyboards.

They do sound great and generally speaking are well built. The interface is very much 'Yamaha' by which I mean not very intuitive but once you get the hang of it...well it's "OK". Not as well thought out as the KORG and Roland alternatives but then if you prefer the Yamaha sound what can you do?

In terms of value for money the MOXF is the pick of the Motif line of keyboards. Not quite as powerful as the XF but for many that won't be an issue. Prices are dropping fast now the MODX is on the scene so there are definitely bargains to be had.

There are some other keyboards you may want to consider but it depends entirely on how much you want to spend?
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
CaseyH

Unread post by CaseyH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks to both of you. I’ve heard that the MOXF tends to be quiet and needs to be run through some kind of mixer to get a powerful sound. Is that also true of the MOX and the MO? I’m thinking that I should try and keep things as simple as possible to start with.

Would you say that Yamaha has the most realistic sounds? Clearly I like the Yamaha sound - when I tried the MO8 at the jam session I thought, “If this is what a keyboard sounds like, I want one!” I haven’t had a chance to get out and try some other brands.
CaseyH

Unread post by CaseyH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:30 pm

Regarding price, I think I could spend about $700 USD on a used keyboard. I might stretch to a little more. less is always better!
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:25 pm

It has been said that the output on the MOXF was a little less than it should be although I never noticed it. Likewise I didn't notice any output problems with the MO or MOX. That isn't to say there aren't any, just that in my testing environment It was not apparent.
Yamaha MO6.png
Yamaha MO6
Does Yamaha have the most realistic sounds? No more so than KORG or Roland I would say. For me personally I have always found Yamaha acoustic piano sounds to be too bright. Some would say "thin" but that is because Yamaha tend not to overdo the effects right out of the box and leave it to users to do the tweaking.

I have always found the user interface on Yamaha keyboards to be rather clunky and non-intuitive. That is until the arrival of the Montage and MODX when they finally adopted a touch screen. KORG lead the way with this with the Trinity back in 1995 but Yamaha always seemed reluctant to be seen to be following one of their major competitors so we had to wait over 20 years for them to catch up.

Bear in mind that the Yamaha MO series is around 14 years old now. It was launched back in 2006. That isn't to say it is not useful today but things have moved on in terms of polyphony, sample quality, connectivity and user interface.

Competing keyboards at the time of the MO's release would have been the Roland Fantom XA which in my personal opinion was vastly superior in sound and functionality and KORG X50 which I have to say I was never a big fan of.
Roland Fantom XA.png
Roland Fantom XA
KORG X50.png
KORG X50
Always remember, these are my personal opinions only and not in any way definitive. I am sure others will be able to give their perspectives too and all opinions are valid (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Novation ReMote 61SL/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
CaseyH

Unread post by CaseyH » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:46 am

Thanks! This has given me a lot to think about. I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge and opinions.

Return to “Yamaha Motif MO,MM6 & MM8”