This section is for the Yamaha Motif MO, MM6 and MM8 Keyboards

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Need your input for Bert Smorenburg

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:36 am

I'm currently creating an English language web site for Bert Smorenburg whom most of you will know from his demo's of the Yamaha Motif range and the MM6.

I need to ask bert a series of questions for an online interview for the site and would appreciate your input. If there is anything you ever wanted to know about Bert or wanted to ask him, now is a good time to do it :)

Many thanks
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Need your input for Bert Smorenburg

Unread post by Fozzer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 am

Hello Saul....

Ask dear Uncle Bert if he knows why Yamaha crippled the MIDI IN, DIN Socket, and made it virtually unusable, on the otherwise excellent MM6/MM8 Workstation.... 8) ...!

..only joking.... :wink: .....I think?.... :roll: ...!

If he has used the MM6/MM8 in his Studio, in conjunction with other inter-connected keyboards, he will have appreciated the problem we have!

Paul.... 8) ....!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:33 am

I shall certainly ask him although he may be as puzzled by that as the rest of us!

My own thoughts are that Yamaha aimed the MM6/MM8 at the studio musician, someone who would be plugging into a computer and using Cubase with VST's. In other words the MM series was supposed to be the centre of your home studio which explains why you can control other synths/modules from the MM6 but you can't control the MM6 from another keyboard. Also explains the reason why they brought out the MM8 as obviously some people would not be happy with just a 61 note synth action keyboard.

I also think it was very wrong to deliberately prevent people from plugging a 88 note controller keyboard into the MM6. We should have that choice no be forced to spend double the amount of money to get the same functionality. Had it not been for that deficiency and the very low polyphony I would have bought an MM6 myself. I would still buy a used one but definitely would not pay new prices for it.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:20 am

...can you speak "Hollandaise", Saul?.... :roll: ....!

...(I'm being "Saucy" now!).... :lol: ....!

I think you are right with the; Yamaha "keyboard to Computer" application for the MM6/MM8.

..'trubble is, like Clyde, I prefer to bypass the complexity of Computer DAW Software, and directly connect my keyboards together via MIDI, to play live, instantly!

I can do it with all my other keyboards, stacked together....even my old 1980's DX's... :D ...!

DAW Software gives me a headache, involves far too much rotating in chairs and walking around, and prevents me from actually playing!... :roll: .... :wink: ...!

Paul.... :lol: ...!

...a relaxing alternative to playing keyboards....>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGw_gs8UaeI
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:35 am

Oh I know exactly what you mean m8. For me I actually prefer a DAW but the location of my keyboard in relation to the computer makes it a bit of a pain to work in that way. My project for the summer is to build a proper desk for the keyboard, computer and speakers so they are all in one unit with a 22" display right above the keyboard. Of course that's if I can fit it in among the many other projects on the go!

Oh and completely off topic but who cares...we're looking for a motorbike at the moment. haven't had a bike for 10 years but feels about the right time to jump back into the saddle. Might even buy a Yamaha 8O in which case it won't be as far off topic as appears ;)

Getting back to Bert, I'll quiz him on his gear and his other work apart from Yamaha. He did tell me Roland have offered him a job on numerous occasions but didn't elaborate on why he turned them down. Although the thought of working with Scott Tibbs isn't exactly a large inducive to moving over to the Roland camp. Not that he's a bad guy in any way and he's certainly an accomplished player but, he's not exactly flamboyant in his presentations. Roland really do need someone like Bert!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:48 am

Saul wrote:Oh I know exactly what you mean m8. For me I actually prefer a DAW but the location of my keyboard in relation to the computer makes it a bit of a pain to work in that way. My project for the summer is to build a proper desk for the keyboard, computer and speakers so they are all in one unit with a 22" display right above the keyboard. Of course that's if I can fit it in among the many other projects on the go!

Oh and completely off topic but who cares...we're looking for a motorbike at the moment. haven't had a bike for 10 years but feels about the right time to jump back into the saddle. Might even buy a Yamaha 8O in which case it won't be as far off topic as appears ;)

Getting back to Bert, I'll quiz him on his gear and his other work apart from Yamaha. He did tell me Roland have offered him a job on numerous occasions but didn't elaborate on why he turned them down. Although the thought of working with Scott Tibbs isn't exactly a large inducive to moving over to the Roland camp. Not that he's a bad guy in any way and he's certainly an accomplished player but, he's not exactly flamboyant in his presentations. Roland really do need someone like Bert!
"Tibbs".... :roll: ..Maybe, like me, Bert doesn't like Cats?
They cr*p on my lawn, and eat my Sparrows... :twisted: .... :lol: ...!

Bikes, Saul?....I am a dedicated "Honda" Man...XBR 500/CBR 900/600/CB500RR....

"Give me your clothes, your Boots, your Gun, and your Motorcycle".....

(but NOT a Harley-Davidson!)... :twisted: .... :lol: ....!

Paul...Meep-meep!...Dedicated Biker for 60 years!... 8) ...!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 pm

Well me, I love cats, mainly because they are independent, unlike dogs and less messy. Yes they can be a pain with the birds but we have the bird feeders well out of cat range and anyway ours are too lazy to chase birds anymore :)

Last Honda I owned was the VF750 Magna. Mine was blue but apart from that the same as the one below. Was only thinking yesterday of getting another one but not many about now :(
honda_vf750_magna.jpg
I think we are going to have to start a new thread? ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Keithy501

Unread post by Keithy501 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Hi,

Had the pleasure of meeting Bert in Birmingham recently. Shame turnout was low. Still at least got a one-to-one overview of the Motif XS with him :D

I'm not too concerned with the midi in on my MM8. Being an ex PSR-E403 owner, I miss the intro's and endings and why can't you play a pattern at the same time as a midi is playing on a USB pen from the USB to device slot :(

I've got most of Bert's demos from youtube on disc.

Have to try and think of some questions.

Keith
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Hopefully once we get the site online people will be able to talk to Bert direct. Just wanted to get some input from the Yamaha community for the question/answer session. I guess things like :

when did he start playing?
what influenced him to take up the keyboard?
does he come from a musical family?
how did his association with Yamaha come about?
what does he do when not demoing for Yamaha?

Although Bert is best known to most people for his energetic Yamaha demo's of course he does a lot more than that. He has his own studio, he plays and tours with various bands and keyboard is not his only instrument. I think he also plays bass.

We have to be a little careful how we phrase questions relating to Yamaha as I think there are contractual constraints on what he can say in regard to the equipment but given that he had a choice of going to Roland and Korg I think it's pretty clear that he has a genuine regard for Yamaha products and it's not just a job.

Any input you guys can give would be very much appreciated :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:52 pm

I'd be interested if he has any experience with heritage Yamaha synths such as DX7, SY77/99, EX5, etc.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:13 am

Clyde wrote:I'd be interested if he has any experience with heritage Yamaha synths such as DX7, SY77/99, EX5, etc.
Clyde
Thanks Clyde. I'll certainly ask him :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

synthjoe

Unread post by synthjoe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

A question I would be interested to know the answer to: Aside from the MM6 as a potentially limiting tool in this respect, does he prefer to work with presets to sketch quickly the musical idea he has in mind, or the other way around: creates often his own sound from which a musical idea then emerges?
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:07 am

synthjoe wrote:A question I would be interested to know the answer to: Aside from the MM6 as a potentially limiting tool in this respect, does he prefer to work with presets to sketch quickly the musical idea he has in mind, or the other way around: creates often his own sound from which a musical idea then emerges?
Good question :) definitely one for the list.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Keithy501

Unread post by Keithy501 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am

Hi,

Another possible question for Bert. How did he get to become a demonstrator. It must be every player's dream job.

Keith
fluffybuffy

Unread post by fluffybuffy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 pm

I'd like to know what keyboards he personally owns?

Return to “Yamaha Motif MO,MM6 & MM8”