Tyros needs kicking

Section for information and discussion about the Yamaha Tyros 1, 2 , 3,4 and 5 Arranger Keyboards.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Netherlands
danlee0

Tyros needs kicking

Unread post by danlee0 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:57 pm

:/:
After a few weeks resting my Tyros2 displays no HD.
Only after kicking it on the table the HD is present again.
Changing the HD makes no difference.
Who knows?
Thanks!
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tyros needs kicking

Unread post by parametric » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 am

Hi DanleeO, and welcome to the Forums . . .

I don't own a Tyros2, but considering it was released in 2005, it may be telling you that

it's time for a new HD . . . . . (if it is still on the original Disk) . . .

Other than that, I would try opening it up and checking the power and ribbon cables to the Hard Disk.

Unplug and re-plug a few times and see if the problem disappears . . . though I would seriously consider

a new drive.

I'm not sure what the Tyros filing system is like.

You may NEED to format a new Disk IN the Tyros itself - in case it does MORE than actually format the disk

by which I mean - It may write folders or files that are required, AS WELL as just format the disk.

That Done, you may need to attach Both Drives to a computer - so you can copy the content of

your old drive to the new one . . .

Perhaps one of our Tyros users will CLARIFY that what I have suggested - is correct? :confusion-confused:

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Netherlands
danlee0

Unread post by danlee0 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 am

Thanks,
When this happened the first time I did change the drive and it was still not visible.
Opening the Tyros is a job that I cant do.
Unplugg and replug SEVERAL times I could try.
I dont see the point of formatting the disc again in the Tyros..?
Thanks!
User avatar Netherlands
danlee0

Unread post by danlee0 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 am

It's being transported in a car permanently.
Maybe this shocking transport is a reason..
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 am

I think if you knocking the Tyros brings the hard drive back to life it is very likely that there is a bad or lose connection, either with the drive power cable or it's data cable. Also I would guess, since you have tried a different drive that the bad connection is at the system board end not the drive side of things.

Opening up Tyros is more time consuming than anything else. It is just a matter of preparing your work area, making sure you have a system for noting the position of each screw as they are often of varying lengths. Also photograph each stage so you have a good reference point. And most important, don't rush it. Take your time and everything will be fine :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:26 pm

danlee0 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 am
Thanks,
When this happened the first time I did change the drive and it was still not visible.
This may be because the new drive needs to be formatted IN the Tyros FIRST.
danlee0 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:26 am
I dont see the point of formatting the disc again in the Tyros..?
I was meaning format the NEW drive . . . obviously, you would not want to format the existing drive. ;)

(That would lose all your existing data . . . . )

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha Tyros 1,2,3,4 and 5”