Tyros5 firmware got corrupted

Section for information and discussion about the Yamaha Tyros 1, 2 , 3,4 and 5 Arranger Keyboards.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

shadowmask
sector101.co.uk
sector101.co.uk

Re: Tyros5 firmware got corrupted

Unread post by shadowmask »

Hi,

Looking at the Tyros 4 service manual is likely that the firmware is stored in IC16 / IC 19 and possibly IC23. It is unlikely the firmware is stored on the CPU.

Restoring the firmware will involve reprogramming IC16 / IC19 / IC23. My guess is that Yamaha programs the firmware during the production process by using a JTAG connection to the CPU. A computer sends the data through the CPU to the IC16 / IC19 / IC23.

During this process the CPU goes into a mode called Boundry Scan where the computer has direct access to the CPU's I/O pins and can drive them in a sequence where IC16 / IC19 / IC13 can be directly programmed.

IC23 appears to be labelled as "64M BACKUP". Maybe there is a way to trigger it during the bootup and restore the unit to a state where the FW can be restored.

Brian

Heda

Unread post by Heda »

Thank you for the detailed information. Based on the data sheet information on the Tyros 4 Service Manual, IC16 is a 256M Flash ROM, IC19 is a 512MB Flash ROM and IC23 is also a 64MB Flash ROM. These type of chips are electronically erasable and programmable. I doubt that they're burned out only because of power interruption which happened to me. If the the firmware is stored on these chips, I'd be even more in luck I guess since Yamaha Service Centre should be able to restore the original factory program in them.
I was able to get a hold of a really nice man at Yamaha Service Centre in CA, USA. Based on his opinion, chances are that the motherboard is fine and if there is an issue it would be on some resisters besides main chips. I was unable to find the Service Manual for Tyros 5, but took a picture of my keyboard's motherboard and searched for each and every chip on the internet and found out about their specifications. There are 8 Flash ROM ICs on Tyros 5 motherboard and most of them are 1 GB/512 MB in memory capacity. The total size of firmware is only and only 53MB. I thought what would be the point of installing the firmware on flash ROM chips. After finding the data sheet of R8A77310D333BG processor I found out it does not have any ROM memory. Therefore you are right. The firmware is installed on the flash ROM chips, but is it installed on each and every one of them or only in one of them? If it is installed only in one of them which I think should be the case. By replacing that particular IC the problem should go away. Yet, I don't know which chip contains the firmware.

shadowmask wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 am
Hi,

Looking at the Tyros 4 service manual is likely that the firmware is stored in IC16 / IC 19 and possibly IC23. It is unlikely the firmware is stored on the CPU.

Restoring the firmware will involve reprogramming IC16 / IC19 / IC23. My guess is that Yamaha programs the firmware during the production process by using a JTAG connection to the CPU. A computer sends the data through the CPU to the IC16 / IC19 / IC23.

During this process the CPU goes into a mode called Boundry Scan where the computer has direct access to the CPU's I/O pins and can drive them in a sequence where IC16 / IC19 / IC13 can be directly programmed.

IC23 appears to be labelled as "64M BACKUP". Maybe there is a way to trigger it during the bootup and restore the unit to a state where the FW can be restored.

Brian

Heda

Unread post by Heda »

On Tyros 5 motherboard the cFeon 29LV649AB-90TIP IC is a 64MB CMOS chip, which I believe holds the firmware. Therefore, replacing this chip should resolve the issue, I guess.
shadowmask wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 am
Hi,

Brian

Heda

Unread post by Heda »

Hi everybody,
Just providing an update for those who are interested in this issue, similar to Tyros4, the following ICs exist on Tyros5. IC114 Program ROM 256Mb, IC118 Data ROM 512Mb, and IC123 Backup ROM / Hardware ID 64Mb. I was able to find the Service Manual for Tyros5. Based on the boot up flow chard of this manual, the main program of Tyros5 resides on IC114. Following the description of this flow chart, I noticed that my Tyros5 boots up properly, but when it requires information from the IC123 Backup ROM it cannot retrieve it. Since the power was interrupted during the firmware update there are two possibilities. Either the data on the IC123 Backup ROM is corrupted while the chip has survived or the IC itself has died. There is no other way for an individual to install the firmware but to use a flash drive unless he's capable to writing a software which would enable him to install the firmware using a computer. Off course, everybody is not a programmer. The easiest and cheapest solution is to replace the IC123. I believe, there shouldn't be any programming/resetting required by Yamaha Service Centre if the chip is replaced properly it should be able to read the firmware from flash drive YET I'M NOT SURE OF IT. The IC123 Backup ROM is a 64MB flash ROM CMOS chip. There is no code name for it even on Yamaha Tyros5's service manual, but it is an EN29LV640AB-90TIP chip as result Yamaha does not have it as a spare part even the manual says the same thing, but it's a cheap IC and cost 2.50 - 5.0 dollars. Yamaha Service Centres don't replace individual ICs. They replace the entire motherboard which is very costly. Therefore those who cannot afford their service will be left with no choice but to repair their keyboard themselves.

Heda

Unread post by Heda »

Good day friends,
For those who are interested in this complicated issue. I was able to reach out to Yamaha USA. Someone by the name of Paul Morte have been very friendly and helpful in sorting out this issue with me. First of all he sent me the Service Manual for Tyros5 which I really appreciated. Second, he advised me to repeatedly power on the device while having the USB flash drive containing the Firmware Update connected and eventually the Tyros5 should be forced to accept the update. After doing so, I was able to install the update. Then I was able to run the Test Program. Not to my surprise since I was sure there is no issue with ROM ICs of the DM motherboard, I run all tests and all of them passed. From this we can conclude that the software issue has been resolved.I installed the Factory Set as well. I expected to see the issue resolved, but unfortunately, it still persists. Following the System Flowchart of the keyboard on its Service Manual, all of its ROM and RAM ICs are working fine, but there could be a hardware issue with either Regulators/Capacitors of its main DM motherboard or its Switch Power Supply components since after pressing the power button once the boot process is complete, the main screen should come up and the panel LEDs should light up. Unfortunately, the panel LEDs don't come up and the buttons don't function although the main screen and LCD turns on. Chances are that the PN800500F-11-KN (YC706A00) SSP2 may not function properly but I doubt it since the ROM and RAM chips which initializes it passed the tests and sometimes the keyboard work normal without having the LED lights of panels led up properly and soon after 5 minutes the issue arises. I don't know if I'm allowed to share part of its boot flow chart here or not. I will post it and off course the site admin will remove it if necessary. I think, as you can see from the flow chart, when the (Not Started ssp2) is done the panel LED and LCD Display should come on. The Panel LEDs don’t turn on but the LCD does turn on which means the NOT STARTED SSP2 is done ok, but the (ErrDetect Check Mute Normal) is NOT ok and internal hardware error is detected as a result the system ends. I’VE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE IS THE ERROR.
I just preformed the DM circuit board check explained on Tyros5 Service Manual, and it turned out perfectly fine. All you need to do the 15 point main DM motherboard circuit check is a DMM. I've attached the page from its service manual for those interested in this issue.
Last edited by Heda on Sat May 09, 2020 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Heda

Unread post by Heda »

Boot Flow error.JPG

Heda

Unread post by Heda »

DM motherboard check points attached.
Attachments
DM Circuit Board Check Method.JPG