Tyros5 firmware got corrupted

Section for information and discussion about the Yamaha Tyros 1, 2 , 3,4 and 5 Arranger Keyboards.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Great Britain
shadowmask
sector101.co.uk
sector101.co.uk

Re: Tyros5 firmware got corrupted

Unread post by shadowmask » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 am

Hi,

Looking at the Tyros 4 service manual is likely that the firmware is stored in IC16 / IC 19 and possibly IC23. It is unlikely the firmware is stored on the CPU.

Restoring the firmware will involve reprogramming IC16 / IC19 / IC23. My guess is that Yamaha programs the firmware during the production process by using a JTAG connection to the CPU. A computer sends the data through the CPU to the IC16 / IC19 / IC23.

During this process the CPU goes into a mode called Boundry Scan where the computer has direct access to the CPU's I/O pins and can drive them in a sequence where IC16 / IC19 / IC13 can be directly programmed.

IC23 appears to be labelled as "64M BACKUP". Maybe there is a way to trigger it during the bootup and restore the unit to a state where the FW can be restored.

Brian
User avatar Canada
Heda

Unread post by Heda » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:35 pm

Thank you for the detailed information. Based on the data sheet information on the Tyros 4 Service Manual, IC16 is a 256M Flash ROM, IC19 is a 512MB Flash ROM and IC23 is also a 64MB Flash ROM. These type of chips are electronically erasable and programmable. I doubt that they're burned out only because of power interruption which happened to me. If the the firmware is stored on these chips, I'd be even more in luck I guess since Yamaha Service Centre should be able to restore the original factory program in them.
I was able to get a hold of a really nice man at Yamaha Service Centre in CA, USA. Based on his opinion, chances are that the motherboard is fine and if there is an issue it would be on some resisters besides main chips. I was unable to find the Service Manual for Tyros 5, but took a picture of my keyboard's motherboard and searched for each and every chip on the internet and found out about their specifications. There are 8 Flash ROM ICs on Tyros 5 motherboard and most of them are 1 GB/512 MB in memory capacity. The total size of firmware is only and only 53MB. I thought what would be the point of installing the firmware on flash ROM chips. After finding the data sheet of R8A77310D333BG processor I found out it does not have any ROM memory. Therefore you are right. The firmware is installed on the flash ROM chips, but is it installed on each and every one of them or only in one of them? If it is installed only in one of them which I think should be the case. By replacing that particular IC the problem should go away. Yet, I don't know which chip contains the firmware.

shadowmask wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 am
Hi,

Looking at the Tyros 4 service manual is likely that the firmware is stored in IC16 / IC 19 and possibly IC23. It is unlikely the firmware is stored on the CPU.

Restoring the firmware will involve reprogramming IC16 / IC19 / IC23. My guess is that Yamaha programs the firmware during the production process by using a JTAG connection to the CPU. A computer sends the data through the CPU to the IC16 / IC19 / IC23.

During this process the CPU goes into a mode called Boundry Scan where the computer has direct access to the CPU's I/O pins and can drive them in a sequence where IC16 / IC19 / IC13 can be directly programmed.

IC23 appears to be labelled as "64M BACKUP". Maybe there is a way to trigger it during the bootup and restore the unit to a state where the FW can be restored.

Brian
User avatar Canada
Heda

Unread post by Heda » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:49 pm

On Tyros 5 motherboard the cFeon 29LV649AB-90TIP IC is a 64MB CMOS chip, which I believe holds the firmware. Therefore, replacing this chip should resolve the issue, I guess.
shadowmask wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:01 am
Hi,

Brian

Return to “Yamaha Tyros 1,2,3,4 and 5”