Procul Harum Sound on Tyros 5

Section for information and discussion about the Yamaha Tyros 1, 2 , 3,4 and 5 Arranger Keyboards.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Voytek
Great Britain

Procul Harum Sound on Tyros 5

Unread post by Voytek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi Guys

I'm a Tyros newbie and would like to be able to get the Procul Harum Organ sound on Whiter Shade of Pale. There is one already on the Tyros but I would like something closer to the original. Can anyone help please.

Cheers

Voytek
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Procul Harum Sound on Tyros 5

Unread post by parametric » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi Voytek, and welcome to the Forums . . .

The Hammond Sound is so entrenched in our Musical consciences, that it attracts as much "debate" as the "Best Piano" argument.

It's of course very subjective and deeply personal.

The Tyros5, Montage and Genos, all being Flagship boards almost certainly have "The Best" that Yamaha can contrive as regards the Hammond Sound . . . .

I recently met Josh Phillips, Procul's current keyboardist at a Yamaha "Artist's Day", I attended with Saul - showcasing the just released Montage.

I was unaware, until I heard the strains of "Whiter Shade of Pale" emanating from the Montage (a 7 IIRC)

A few weeks later, I was performing with Procul at the RFH, and during a rehearsal, Josh confided that he was very pleased with the Montage8 as a performance Synth - and that it was heavily used on Procul's latest Album . . . .

He still had the Hammond XK-3C in his rig though, so I'm guessing he considers the real thing is best . . . .
Parametric, Josh and the Montage.jpg
Parametric, Josh and the Montage
St Lukes Rehearsal - Josh's Hammond.jpg
St Lukes Rehearsal - Josh's Hammond XK-3C
Other option are VSTis (Derek has an opinion on this, in a performance situation)

Perhaps that helps . . . ?

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Return to “Yamaha Tyros 1,2,3,4 and 5”