Tyros and mic combine to give horrible sound mix!

Section for information and discussion about the Yamaha Tyros 1, 2 , 3,4 and 5 Arranger Keyboards.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

doclands
Great Britain

Tyros and mic combine to give horrible sound mix!

Unread post by doclands » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:56 pm

I have a tyros 3 and am using a SM58 Mic (perfect for the Tyros!) connected in the usual way.

My problem is that when the singer sings the keyboard sound is picked up by the mic and is played back with the smallish reverb that voice has. This produces a lot of reverb and a mess of sound at times.

Any ideas? We've tried positioning the singer in obvious places. Is there any control on the Tyros - the tyros speakers need to take what the mic produces and add what the keyboard produces. Is this possible.

Many thanks
doclands
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Tyros and mic combine to give horrible sound mix!

Unread post by parametric » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 am

Hi Doclands,

I'm guessing that you are RECORDING the combined output?

You need to turn the Tyros' Speakers OFF

I think that YOU and THE SINGER, BOTH, need to use headphones for this exercise.

You, to hear what you are playing, and the Singer, to hear your playing . . . .

I don't know how the Tyros is configured, but perhaps you will hear the singer too?

THAT WAY, the Mic will only pick up the Singer's voice.

(Point the Mic AWAY from the Tyros to lessen it picking up the clatter of the keys as you play . . . )

I record my own vocal tracks this way (also with an SM58 as it happens).

I listen to the track off my ipod through Phones - and record, in a quiet room either to Reaper on my Laptop, or to a digital recorder, transferring the file to Reaper later . . .

Hope that helps?

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:47 am

I think many mics will have the same issues especially if your in close proximity to the keyboard or other members of a band. The SM58 is an industry standard but it's not without issues in the off axis department. It's all cost vs results though. You could go for something like the Heil PR-35 which would pretty much eliminate any extraneous noise and sound brilliant but it's not especially cheap...I think around £250! however you do get what you pay for and in the long run it would prove a good investment.

Right now though you have the SM58 and as Chris mentioned there are ways to mitigate the noise from the keyboard. One would be to record separately which is often how it is done in home and pro studios. The music is recorded first and then the vocalist will record his/her part over that. This also of course gives you more control over the vocal track in the mix.

Or they use isolation booths so band and vocalist can record at the same time...often they aren't actual booths but deflection screens that reduce wash from the band enough to allow the engineer to play with the eq etc to get a cleaner vocal.

I think recording vocals through a keyboard and playing at the same time it will be a bit of trial and error but personally I would record the music THEN the vocal but that's just me. People record vocals with keyboard all the time so I'm sure there are many ways to achieve the same end result.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
doclands
Great Britain

Unread post by doclands » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:47 pm

It's not for recording. It's for a music party at home. As the pianist I am hearing the singer, the keyboard and what sound like confusing reverb of the keyboard (which is not set for any reverb!) BUT friends listening from across the small room now tell me it sounds fine!!! It just makes playing difficult!

Is it safe to just put the mic through the amp I usually use for my CD player or will this damage the SM80 mic?

Cheers and thanks for the previous replies,

Doclands
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:32 am

Ah - OK, so it's a (sort-of) Karaoke setup, but playing LIVE - rather than a CD playing the Music?

I doubt whether you can use the Mic with a HiFi type amp. The input sensitivities are all wrong for a Mic. They are usually all LINE level, which the Mic ISN'T . . .

Best solution is to use a MUSIC Amp. Most Guitar amps and Keyboard amps can support a Mic input in addition to the Keyboard or Guitar.

The other possibility, is to buy or borrow a small mixer - a 4-channel would suit in your case - and feed the Tyros AND the Mic into it.

You could then feed the LINE OUT of the Mixer to an input on your Hifi amp (probably the AUX input) which will match the mixer's output perfectly.

You then have control at the mixer to balance the Vocal with your keyboard . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

doclands
Great Britain

Unread post by doclands » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:57 am

Many thanks, some good suggestions!

Doclands
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:07 am

I think Chris has covered the options there. I would go down the small mixer route myself as it gives you a lot of flexibility for very little outlay.

You can get a decent mixer for £50 or even less if you look on Ebay. Thing to decide is are you going to want to use it with a computer or will it always be standalone? The desktop type mixers that have usb will also act as your sound device for a computer and a hub for everything you want to use with your computer such as keyboard, guitar and vocals.

Anyway I think your on the path to a resolution. Let us know how it goes.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
doclands
Great Britain

Unread post by doclands » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks, will do!
Bullquacky

Unread post by Bullquacky » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm

I get that problem using the Shure 57 or 58. So switched to a Blue Encore 100i mic which is more front directional and doesn't pic up as much background from the speakers.

On the Shure I would get horrible squeal sometimes if the mic settings had added treble. The Blue cuts that out quite a BIT.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:29 am

Its always tricky in a live situation.

You have to be MINDFUL of ensuring the Mic is generally BEHIND the speakers, if possible, to lessen the chance of

"Howl-Round" (FeedBack).

Tweaking the EQ can help to lessen the tendancy to feedback around to the fundamental frequency of the space.

May be helpful to use Cans to hear what YOU are playing whilst singing . . .

Getting the balance between the keyboard and vocal need to feel "right" to you as the performer . . . .

so you are neither shouting or whispering . . . (IYSWIM)

Best to get someone to give you an opinion on the balance, standing within the performance space itself -

for ultimate satisfaction . . .

perhaps that helps?

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Return to “Yamaha Tyros 1,2,3,4 and 5”