YPT-400 Can't Play This Style File...

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
YPT400Guy

YPT-400 Can't Play This Style File...

Unread post by YPT400Guy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 am

Hi,

Please understand I'm very new and don't know much of anything.

I have an old Yamaha YPT-400 that I'm just now starting to learn. I downloaded a so-called "X9" type of Style File after purchasing it from the Yamaha MusicSoft website. The Style File is called "She is Mad" or "She is Madonna." The website did prompt me with a warning that the file "might" not be compatible with my YPT-400. Well, I tried anyway. I bought the Style File and connected my computer to the keyboard and transferred the Style File to my keyboard's flash memory drive. It would seem the file isn't compatible, just as I had been warned, because the YPT-400 doesn't "see" the file. The file is there, according to my computer. But the YPT-400 just can't seem to see it and read it.

OK, so I've been reading that the Style Files can be complicated... there are several types of them. Some of them are designed to be used on newer, more powerful and more expensive keyboards.

Before I spend hours on needless experimentation, does anybody know if this particular Style File might be "converted" by some type of software to a more simple, basic Style File format that the YPT-400 can handle?

I did try one interesting experiment. I changed the file name extension of the Style File to .mid instead of .sty. I then opened the file in Garage Band and, while the music doesn't sound right, I was amazed to see that the Style File does appear to contain midi data. So there would seem to be at least some shared characteristics when comparing Style Files to Midi files. Apparently, the Style Files contain extra data besides midi data.

Anyway... back to the original question... can one convert the X9 Style File type to something that can be read by the YPT-400???

I find this particular Style File very interesting and I would like to use it to cover some electronic songs that I'd like to try to sing. Thanks.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: YPT-400 Can't Play This Style File...

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 am

Yes, if it's a Yamaha style file then you should be able to convert it (or downgrade it, as it were) so it will play on the YPT-400. I've posted the steps before, either here or in other forums, so rather than type it all over again, let me see what notes I can find, clean them up a bit, and post them here-- or, if I've already posted them here, I'll just link to them.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
YPT400Guy

Unread post by YPT400Guy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:38 am

It's a Yamaha style file, I think, because I downloaded it, after purchase, from the Yamaha Music Soft styles website

I fear I'm simply too much of an amateur to get this to work on my YPT-400.

I've tried downloading three utilities:

- Style Format 2 Converter
- Style Old Format Converter
- Style Format Finder

I'm probably unable to figure out this puzzle.

According to the utilities, the "She is Mad" .sty Style File that I downloaded *is* SFF1 format already. So I tried down-converting that using the "Style Old Format Converter" and my YPT-400 still can't see the file. I get the following message on the YPT-400 screen: "no file"

So I've made certain the name is short.
I've also verified the file is under 50KB in size.

I'm too poor to buy a more expensive Yamaha keyboard.

So, for me, Yamaha's claim that one can benefit from external Style Files just isn't turning out to be realistic; one apparently must be an engineer or programmer to figure out how to use them. This isn't simple at all, I'm afraid.

STRIKE OUT.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 am

You said it was the X9 version of the file, right? Let me see if I can find out more about that.
Michael Rideout
YPT400Guy

Unread post by YPT400Guy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:41 pm

I think the "X9" type of Style File is designed for the PSR-9000 keyboard.
YPT400Guy

Unread post by YPT400Guy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm

The "She Is Mad" Style File is apparently designed to simulate the sound of the "She Is Madonna" song produced by Pet Shop Boys and voiced by Robbie Williams. I've read Pet Shop Boys were inspired by Kraftwerk when they produced the song.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Okay. I am thinking of buying the style myself to see what I can figure out, since I have a YPT-400. My main problem right now is that the hard drive on my desktop computer failed several days ago, and it had all of my music software on it. I can use my iPad to transfer files to my keyboards, but I might have trouble finding any macOS-compatible utilities for inspecting and modifying style files on my MacBook Air.
Michael Rideout
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:49 pm

By the way, it is this style, correct? https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/style-f ... e-is-mad-4
Michael Rideout
YPT400Guy

Unread post by YPT400Guy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:27 am

That's very, very kind of you to give this a try on my behalf. Thank you!

Yes, your URL to the "She Is Mad" Style File is correct.

It would be incredible if you could figure out how to make this file work. The thing that I find interesting about the YPT-400 (which I understand is actually the same keyboard, physically, as the Yamaha PSR-E403) is that the built-in sounds are quite impressive, in my humble opinion, even in the year 2019. (I understand the YPT-400 is a 2006 or 2007 era Yamaha keyboard.)

I bought mine for my father who truly was a gifted piano player. My father thoroughly enjoyed the YPT-400 even though he typically would hate anything "techno." He refused to join the computer age. But he found the YPT-400's Grand Piano sound perfectly suitable for his tastes and the keyboard operation was simple enough for him to make his way through his difficult last years as he battled fatal health issues.

I've spent the past few weeks getting acquainted with the keyboard and I'm amazed by how powerful it is given the relatively low price I paid for it.

I have a Bose SoundLink Revolve+ Bluetooth speaker that includes an AUX-in port and I've physically connected this to the YPT-400 output and the sound is amazing to my ears.

Thanks again for your kind assistance.

Return to “Yamaha PSR E443/E433/E423/E413/E403/E303/E203”