PSR-E343: Set key signature?

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

herecomestheflood
Location.: San Francisco Bay Area

PSR-E343: Set key signature?

Unread post by herecomestheflood »

Is it possible to set the key signature for this keyboard? Like, if I'm playing in A, I'd like G# to show on the staff display as G#, but it's showing as A flat.

(Experienced sight readers might think "but G# *is* Aflat!" But when you're new to this and using the display as a tool to confirm what you're reading from the score, it's enough work to keep the key signature straight as it modifies notes, without having some notes appear on different lines on the display than on the score.)

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PSR-E343: Set key signature?

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I don't think you can do anything or set anything to change whether black keys are displayed as flats or sharps on the LCD display, except possibly when you're playing specific chords in the auto accompaniment section.

With the black keys, my guess is that the keyboard most likely gives preference to using one name or the other for a given black key based on the circle of fifths:

Starting at C and going up a fifth: C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#
Starting at C and going down a fourth: C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb

Notice that Ab occurs in fewer steps (down 4 fourths from C) than G# does (up 8 fifths from C).
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710