New models coming: PSR-EW310 and PSR-E373

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

New models coming: PSR-EW310 and PSR-E373

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

I haven't seen an announcement from Yamaha yet, but a retailer in the USA has posted a page for the upcoming PSR-EW310. The biggest news is that it will include 11 "Super Articulation Lite" or "SALite" voices. Those of us who follow the PSR-E400 series are expecting to see these SALite voices added to the PSR-EW420 sometime next year.

Key Features:

- The AWM (Advanced Wave Memory) Dynamic Stereo Sampling engine recreates the realism of an acoustic instrument, reproducing its dynamic nuances by recording samples of various playing strengths.

-Smart Chord lets you play great-sounding chords from simple Pop triads to complex jazz 7th chords with just a few fingers.

- Super Articulation Lite Voices can be controlled with the "Art" button to intuitively reproduce the natural expressive nuances of non-keyboard instruments, allowing keyboard players to achieve realistic expression.

- Duo mode splits the keyboard into two halves, each with their own "middle C" for practising with a partner

- Yamaha Education Suite (Y.E.S.) allows you to practice using the preset songs (or MIDI files on compatible instruments) at your own pace, one hand at a time, or both together.

- Registration Memories allow you to save and recall panel settings like Voice, Song, Pattern, and/or Style to quickly access your favourite configurations.

- USB to HOST connectivity with MIDI and audio transfer means you only need one cable to connect to your music-making software.

- 1/8" AUX input takes the output from a portable music player, iOS device, mixer or computer and uses the instrument's speakers to playback the audio.

- Touch Tutor lesson mode tracks the velocity or strength the keys are played at in order to teach dynamics.

- Includes: AC Adapter, Music Rest, Owner's Manual

The PSR-EW310 is expected to retail for $269.99

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: New models coming: PSR-EW310 and PSR-E373

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the heads up on that Michael. I will see if there is a review model available (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I don't know if I should have kept my mouth shut or what, because after I posted I saw a short video from Jeremy See, who said that the new models are poised for release within the next couple of weeks-- which is presumably why a retailer in the USA has already put together pages for them, in anticipation of their launch-- and that he knows their technical details but isn't allowed to say anything yet. So I may have spilled the beans-- although someone in another forum is the person who found the retailer's page, and he made a short video about it-- so if the beans weren't supposed to be spilled yet, at least I wasn't the first! :?

Michael Rideout
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

No need to keep quiet about it Michael. We are not subject to any non-disclousre agreements and Yamaha have not even given us any notice about this new release. We are and always have been an independent forum. As far as I am concerned the news is in the public domain (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I saw the same video of Jeremy See.. Sounds interesting. I have the PSR-EW300. I got it from a local buy-sell-trade on Facebook for very little. It's fun to compare it to my CT-X800 and see the plus points on both. I'm really interested in entry level models because they introduce people to the world of music at a low-risk price.. It's also interesting to see all of the things they can do at such an affordable cost. As a teenager, I'll never forget my first guitar under the Christmas tree. :D That's what I enjoy most.. picturing people getting their first instrument as a gift.

I'm really curious about the SALite voices. Many of the voices on the PSR-EW300 are pretty decent. There is more clarity on the CT-X800, but the PSR-EW300 model has some nice warm sounds too and the extra keys on the low end are what I needed. Truthfully, the CT-X gets more of my attention, but the improved voices (SALite) are a good move since the CT-X models were a big surprise and consumers went after them.

My granddaughter heard me practicing and is becoming interested in keyboard, so I'm going to get her Jeremy's course before Christmas. (I'll have to save for it). He really has a knack for teaching brand new students since that is his primary occupation .. as many know. His videos are geared toward the arranger keyboards which means fuller music at the beginning (encouraging to newbies) and then she can move into left hand-right hand piano. He actually teaches that too on the videos.. and note reading, etc.

There are free tutorials on YouTube, I know, but it's also a way to help out Jeremy See. I really like his YouTube channel. I gave my granddaughter a PSR-225 from the same local source on Facebook for only $15 and set it up in her room. Andy is making a laptop shelf that she can have on the wall above her keyboard so she can interact with her lessons. If she moves ahead in her desire to learn, I'll get her a better keyboard. She is going through a hard time and what better thing than music to sweeten up the challenges of life?

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yamaha has now posted the Owner's Manual, MIDI Reference, and other documents for the PSR-E373/PSR-EW310 on their website.

In addition to the new Super Articulation Lite voices and Smart Chord feature, there are just over 3 dozen DSP effects for modifying the sound.

And for users who are interested in that sort of thing, the new models recognize all 3 Portamento CCs-- Portamento Time (CC#5), Portamento On/Off (CC#65), and Portamento Control (CC#84). Although (AFAIK) these aren't available from the panel controls and function menu, they can be included in MIDI song files and style files, and sent to the keyboard by a DAW or other external sequencer or controller. ((i))

Michael Rideout
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yeah, they sent through all the info earlier today but I am busy working on websites at the moment so have only managed to re-publish my original article and add back the specs to your post. We have been promised a review model once they are available (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

This makes a pleasant change for a PSR promo video! Nice to see something more modern and not the usual "lift music" video we have seen in the past ((i)) ((i)) ((i))

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

A much better promo video. I instantly perked up when they did a quick blip of the guitar sample. These look interesting. Makes you wonder if they are a contender for the Casio CT-X700 and 800. :)

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Maybe they are heading in the right direction at last. I was never a big fan of the way these lower end PSR's were marketed. They have a lot more potential that could be realised if aimed at a wider audience than the typical "home keyboard" player?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Here is the pdf for the PSR-EW310 and PSR-E373
YM_PSR-373_PSR-EW310.pdf
And a few more images to wet the appetite :)
PSR-EW310-z-0001.jpg
PSR-EW310-Front.jpg
PSR-E373.jpg
PSR-E373-Front.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I can see prices for these keyboards in the UK are £239 for the PSR-E373 and £310 for the PSR-EW310. They are available to pre-order with delivery some time in October.

That means of course that we are yet again back to being completely ripped off here in the UK :/:

The price for the PSR-E373 in the USA is $199.99 which equates to £149.81 and the price for the PSR-EW310 is $269.99 which is £202.25 at todays exchange rates.

Even if we take taxes out of the equation because US prices are normally listed exclusive of sales tax, we are still left with a hefty price increase here.

Example. The PSR-E373 is priced at £239 in the UK but this includes 20% VAT. If you remove that for a more balanced comparison with the USA price, we are left with £199.16 or $265.87.

So in the USA the PSR-E373 costs $199.99 and here in the UK, minus the VAT which is imposed by government not retailers it costs $265.87. So we pay an extra $65.88 for the same keyboard and then the government slaps on an extra 20% just because they can. :angry-tappingfoot:

There is of course, nothing we can do about it but in terms of value for money, these keyboards look a LOT more attractive in the USA than they do here.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VIP

The price for the PSR-E373 in the USA is $199.99 which equates to £149.81 and the price for the PSR-EW310 is $269.99 which is £202.25 at todays exchange rates.
It doesn't make sense. The American dollar is worth way less..
Nothing like penalizing a prospective UK customer.. :roll:

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It makes no sense to me Shelly. People will often say that the scale of economy comes into play along with peoples income levels and transport costs, retailer overheads etc but, heres the thing. It doesn't matter about all of that, the PRODUCT is the same. It has not increased in features or value because it is being sold to a UK buyer.

It is so frustrating! The first price we see when a product is announced is usually the US dollar price. And it normally looks like a really great deal....until the UK price is announced and then it becomes not even close to a "good deal".

It is the same with the Casio CT-X700. US price $174. UK price $304 8O So in the USA it is a fantastic, value for money keyboard. In the UK it is simply a nice sounding but grossly overpriced keyboard. Such a shame :(

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook