Can't download MIDI files in PSR-E313 flash memory

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Vince

Can't download MIDI files in PSR-E313 flash memory

Unread post by Vince » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17 am

Hi,
I am new to keyboards and MIDI issues and I have some problems to download MIDI files towards my keyboard. I have also looked at quite a lot of related threads in this site and at information in the Yamaha Knowledge Base but failed to see a clear solution.

The configuration:
-Windows XP SP3 (re-installed a few days ago to avoid any incompability with previously installed devices)
- Yamaha PSR-E313 keyboard
- A “cheap” USB-MIDI cable from China delivered without driver. The cable MIDI IN and OUT are respectively connected on MIDI OUT and IN of the keyboard.
- Musicsoft Downloader
- No specific Yamaha driver installed

The status:
- The keyboard is detected as a USB audio device in the device manager
- In Control Pannel/Sound and Audio devices, I can choose indifferently between “USB Audio Device” and “USB Audio Device[2]” to reach the keyboard
- I can play MIDI files with Windows Media player on the PC and hear the music on the keyboard

The problem:
- I obviously can’t reach the keyboard flash memory with Musicsoft Downloader
- The Musicsoftdownloader connection check always fail with all IN and OUT combinations (IN=USB Audio Device, OUT=choice from USB Audio Device, USB Audio Device[2], Microsoft GS Watable SW, Microsoft MIDI Mapper)

Questions:
- Anyone knows what to do next?
- Is the keyboard flash memory only reachable through some additional Yamaha driver? If yes, which one? Do the UX16 drivers apply here? I have checked various drivers from the Yamaha site and tried to re-install the USB Audio Device with some Yamaha one but Windows refuse to install any (not match with the PSR-E313?)
- I have seen in other threads people stating that the Yamaha drivers should be installed upfront before connecting the keyboard. If this is so, which drivers and what is the procedure (are the right drivers packaged in some self installing software or am I supposed to follow some specific installation procedure through Windows?)
- Is the only solution to buy an expensive cable from Yamaha (UX16) :( ?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
/Vincent
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi Vincent,
Welcome to the Forums! Someone with experience in this type of computer/synth issue will have to comment here, I've never dealt with this type of issue.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Vince

Unread post by Vince » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi and thanks,

I have not solved the problem yet. However I have contacted the Yamaha support and I got the following answer:
"PSR-E313 does not have any USB connection for MIDI, only traditional MIDI contacts. As a consequence this means that all settings and eventually problems must be done and solved in the "other end of the line". In other words, the problems or settings has nothing to do with PSR-E313. The driver you need must be for the USB-MIDI cable (or"interface") and not for the keyboard"

I am now trying to get support from the cable provider.

If there is anyone out there that has succeeded to download from a PC with Windows XP or Vista some MIDI file in the PSR-E313 flash memory, I would be interested to get more details about the configuration (cable provider, installed drivers, etc..)

Br
/Vince
Vince

Unread post by Vince » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi,

I solved the problem by buying another midi interface (E-MU Xmidi 1x1).
It came with a separate CD for its drivers and installed without any problem on XP (and Vista as well actually).

Additional experience about the cheap cable bought initially:
- the built-in driver did not seem to install properly (XP error message eventhough I had some partial success with the cable)
- its vendor did not take responsibility for the problem (claiming that transfering a file over the MIDI interface was not part of the supported scenarios shown on the web page)
- did not get it to work either by changing some settings with the MIDI OX program (I was adviced to try changing the buffer size for the sysex parameters in the MIDI interface. I was told that some vendors set it to 256 while the standard value is 512)

Hope this experience can help someone out there...

Cheers
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Vince, I'm glad you got your issue resolved. I think your experience points out something that I have mentioned many times, cheap accessories are often not the best solution. They can cause much frustration and often you end up spending yet more money to replace it. And as you found out, manufacturers of cheap, no-name accessories are usually not very good about standing behind their products or solving issues with their products.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Eyespy900

Re: Can't download MIDI files in PSR-E313 flash memory

Unread post by Eyespy900 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:51 am

Hi, did you solve your problem?
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:15 am

Hi, Eyespy900! I think the OP (Vince) said he solved the issue by getting a different MIDI interface-- an E-MU Xmidi 1x1.

Do you have a PSR-E313 or similar model? I've got three PSR-E 'boards-- a PSR-E433, a PSR-E443, and a YPT-400 (which is really a PSR-E403 sold under a different model name for some reason).
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha PSR-E433, PSR-E443, YPT-400, PSR-EW400
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Past keyboards: Farfisa Matador, Casio CTK-710
Eyespy900

Unread post by Eyespy900 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi. I too got a different midi interface, I managed to get the computer and e313 connected, but every time I send over a midi to the keyboard, something goes wrong and it says flash error.

I too want to get the e443. Thanks
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:07 am

To clarify, are you saying that you can transmit a MIDI song file to the PSR-E313's memory using the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader program?

But when you try to select the MIDI song on the PSR-E313 to play it, you get a "Flash error" message?

What you might try-- if you haven't already-- is to clear the flash memory and do a factory reset. However, these operations will wipe out any files you've transferred to the PSR-E313, along with any panel settings you've modified, so first you should use the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader to transfer any files you want to keep back over to the computer, and then save a backup of your keyboard's settings (i.e., the 07PK3.BUP file). Then you can do the "Backup Clear" and "Flash Clear" operations described on page 31 of the User's Manual to see if it helps.

You can also start up the keyboard in "test mode" to see if its memory checks out okay, as describedon pages 22 and 23 of the Service Manual.

By the way, it's recommended that you always maintain a steady power supply to the keyboard. If you're using batteries to operate it, make sure they aren't weak. It's better to use the power adapter if you have one. You do not want the keyboard to lose power while you're transferring data to it, as that could cause the data to be corrupted or incomplete, thereby causing problems.
Michael Rideout
Eyespy900

Unread post by Eyespy900 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:30 am

hi, thanks for your reply.

i can successfully connect the e313 to the computer via musicsoft downloader. the flash error happens while the file transfer takes place. the file name appears on the keyboard screen and after 5 seconds it errors. i have tried factory reset, flash clear, backup clear as in the owners manual. i cannot find the service manual. could you please send a link to this. i have a constant power source via mains adaptor. many thanks
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:04 pm

PM sent. Is this happening with any/every MIDI file you try to transmit to the PSR-E313, or is it just with the one file?
Michael Rideout

Return to “Yamaha PSR E443/E433/E423/E413/E403/E303/E203”