Help: Transferring User files from the PSR-E413 to the PC

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Libs

Help: Transferring User files from the PSR-E413 to the PC

Unread post by Libs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi, I recorded something with my PSR-E413 on User1 slot and I want to transfer it to my PC. Ive installed "Music Downloader" got the arranger keyboard connected but I find that all I can do is transferring MIDI files from my PC to the keyboard.
is my recording suppose to appear as a MIDI file so I can transfer it to my computer? because I cant find it on the Flash Memory or the System Drive.

Ive heard that my recordings are found into the BUP file, but I cant even run the file.

Hope you can help me:)
thanks
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Hello Libs...

Are you connecting the E413 to the computer via a USB MIDI Cable?
If so, all you are doing is sending MIDI Data...not "Audio" Sound, which requires you to connect the keyboard to the Computer via your Keyboard Sound Output Sockets to your Computer Sound Card.

The MIDI Data can be used by special DAW Software on the Computer, edited, and passed back to the Keyboard as Data to produce sound on the Keyboard using its internal voices....
....or saved/stored on the Computer, to be sent back to the Keyboard as MIDI Data.

MIDI Data does not produce audio "Sounds". It is only Digital information.

If you wish to save your songs as "Audio Sound" you will need external Audio recording hardware via your Audio output sockets on the Keyboard, (or software on your Computer to save as an MP3 Audio File).

Don't forget you will/may require the Yamaha MIDI Drivers if you are using the Computer for DAW editing software.

Paul....8) ...!

MIDI/Audio Data setup

Downloads:
http://download.yamaha.com/downloads/se ... ch/product
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
Libs

Unread post by Libs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 pm

yes, I connect the digital keyboard via USB.
so there is no way I can transfer my records and listen to them via my computer?
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Libs wrote:yes, I connect the digital keyboard via USB.
so there is no way I can transfer my records and listen to them via my computer?
Hello Libs...

(a) Connect your Keyboard L+R Audio output to the Sound Card on your Computer and play the sound through your Computer Speakers.

(b) As (a), but use computer software to convert it into MP3 for Audio playback.

(c) Save the MIDI data to your Computer, and send it back to your Keyboard via MIDI to play its internal voices.

(d) As (c) but use Computer DAW Software to edit the MIDI Data as required, and send the Data back to the Keyboard to play its internal Voices

(e) Use an Audio Recorder (Tape?) connected to the Audio output of the Keyboard and record it whilst you play.

I'm not sure if you can save the Data as a "Wave" file, and save it on the Computer for Audio playback?

Have a peek in the user Manual for various File Types that you can save on the PSR E413 Keyboard?

Paul....8) ...!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
Libs

Unread post by Libs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm

hey thanks! I hadnt even thought about that!
there is an output on the keyboard (phones/output)
all I need to do is to buy a large PL cable and connect it to the line in, as well as I do with the electric guitar. is that correct?
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:46 pm

Libs wrote:hey thanks! I hadnt even thought about that!
there is an output on the keyboard (phones/output)
all I need to do is to buy a large PL cable and connect it to the line in, as well as I do with the electric guitar. is that correct?
Thats it... :D ...!

Stereo Audio output from the Keyboard to the Mic or Line input on your Sound Card in the Computer!

Sound via the Speakers attached to your Sound Card.

Paul.... :D ...!
Libs

Unread post by Libs » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

thanks alot for giving me another point of view :)
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Libs wrote:thanks alot for giving me another point of view :)
Thanks...;)...!

I make up all my various leads....Audio, MIDI, etc
In the case of the Audio lead running from the Keyboard to the Computer, I purchase all the bits and pieces from Maplin, or equivalent, Electronic Component Shop.

Length of twin, "figure-of-eight", screened cable...(which can be split/separated at one, or both ends).
Two 1/4 Inch Mono Jack Plugs for one end of the (split) cable.
One 3.5 mm Stereo Jack Plug for the other end.

The two 1/4 Inch Mono Jack Plugs are inserted into the L and R Audio output sockets on the Keyboard.
The 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug is inserted into the 3.5mm Stereo Mic or Line input socket on the Sound Card in the Computer, supplying the external Stereo Speakers.

This method ensures that the full Stereo signal is utilised.

(A Guitar lead will only give you a Monophonic output/input!).

Paul...taking the lead.... 8) ...!
mikehilluk

Unread post by mikehilluk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks Paul. I know nothing about using a keyboard linked to a computer. :roll: So after I had connected my new PSR-E413 to the USB port....... nothing. Then I found your advice on here and :idea: the light came on.
  • 1 x stereo 3.5mm Jack Lead from headphone socket to Line in (Blue) on soundcard.
    Headphones into Line out (Lime).
    USB Vocal Dynamic Microphone into a USB Port
Bingo :D , I can play or sing into my Software (Audacity and Mixcraft 4). Just keep forgetting to adjust the software setting when changing from Keyboard to Mic. :oops:

Hope this helps others who may be in my situation. Must say, I do like my new Keyboard!
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

Excellent news Mike!... :D ..!

Thanks for replying with the successful results... :wink: ...!

Enjoy your new E-413!... :D ...!

Paul.."Leading" the Way.....:lol: ...!
Keithy501

Re: Help: Transferring User files from the PSR-E413 to the PC

Unread post by Keithy501 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi,

There is another way (not for the faint hearted) and you will need Sequener software such as CakeWalk or Cubasis. I have only tried with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Sonar 4 Home.

More experienced owners will probably be able to advise which specific midi channels you need to set up to record, however I went for 16 to try and capture everything.

As the song you recorded is a bup file held in flash memory, you cannot directly put this into Cakewalk. You should be able to setup your keyboard in the midisettings menu to Song out ON. I think that PC Mide is off and external clock is off as well. Setup a 16 channel midi recording in Cakewalk for channels 1 to 16 (not omni). Start the recording and then start the playback of your recorded song. It should be sent out on the midi channels and displayed by Cakewalk when you stop the recording. You need to correctly setup the keyboard midi in and out in Cakewalk (should show as Yamaha USB 0-1 or Portatone 1). You can now edit the recording using Cakewalk and save as a midi file. The midi channels used are not sequential hence the reason to set up all 16 channels in Cakewalk. This may take several attempts as I kept getting what sounded like piano being played instead of drums on channel 10. Just keep switching between Song out off and on before playing back on the 403.

This should work for other sequencers, however you may get the song notes all on one channel and the percussion on another unless there is an option within the program not to put all the data on one midi channel (this is the omni option in Cakewalk as above).

Return to “Yamaha PSR E443/E433/E423/E413/E403/E303/E203”