Converting USR Files: Can anyone help?

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

skyscape

Converting USR Files: Can anyone help?

Unread post by skyscape » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi there,

How can I convert my user files once I've transferred them with the UX16 MIDI interface and the Musicsoft Downloader software?

The transfer has been successful but I'm left with a file format (.USR) that I cannot hear or play.

Can anyone suggest a file conversion tool that will allow me to hear my songs and eventually use them with Windows Movie Maker and upload to YouTube etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Sky
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Converting USR Files: Can anyone help?

Unread post by parametric » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:46 am

Hi Skyscape,

Though I'm not familiar with the synths that use the MusicSoft Downloader package, I did do a bit of poking around the subject and from what I can see, the .usr format - Yamaha-Style seems to never venture further from the synth than a usb stick.

I deeply suspect it is a kind of "proprietrised" midi file - particularly if it is small in size.

The easiest way to achieve what you intend, it to play your song back and record the stereo out of your Synth into the PC, using Audacity or whatever you have/prefer for audio recording.

This will give you a stereo .wav file of your song - as it sounds on the Synth - which I guess is what you want.
You can probably save it as an .mp3 if you prefer.

You could TRY, (on a COPY of one of your .usr files) simply renaming it to .mid and see if the PC can make any sense of it.

The thing to bear in mind is that even if you CAN get at the MIDI content, playing it back on the PC using the soundcard's onboard synth will most likely disappoint as the sounds will be completely different - and probably lack any FX that the synth applies to the Stereo Outs. . . . .

The .usr file probably contains details of "Styles" that have been used and probably refer to an auto-accompaniment feature of the Synth, that will mean nothing in midi-speak . . . .

Hope that helps

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
skyscape

Unread post by skyscape » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Dear Parametric,

I am delighted to say that the USB recording cable worked and the Yamaha and computer are now working beautifully together! Thank you so much for your advice!

Sky
lauramariepepsin

Unread post by lauramariepepsin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:53 am

skyscape or Parametric , I have this problem. I just downloaded Audacity ,per your advice,in this Forum, and I need to know what connection I need. USB ? Composite, what? I have EasyCap003 [New version] with Ulead Studio,but It's not quite the right device to record from my keyboard.
I have a Yamaha YPG 535 88 key Full size portable Grand Piano. I can save directly from the instrument to a USB flash drive ,but it is in a .USR file format which cannot be read on my PC a Hewlett Packard ,I'm using Windows 7 ,and of course this USR file format cannot be converted. So,how do I get my music,sound effects,etc. from my Yamaha YPG535 to my PC for use in videos , on YouTube or my websites,blogs,etc.?
Thank you , ta Cheers................later...Jings!
Last edited by lauramariepepsin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59 am

Hi lauramarie - and welcome to the forums . . .

I am not familiar with the .usr format or what it contains.

The EasyCap device you describe seems to be really for video capture (converting VHS tapes to DVDs) though of course it has an audio input which needs to work with your PC's internal soundcard or onboard sound . . . .

There's a video here which attempts to explain connection:

Though I am sceptical about feeding a LINE signal into the MIC inputs of ANY system - it usually results in mismatch and distortion . . . .

If you need simply to produce an audio file of your Piano, then Audacity will do this just fine.

What has to be decided is how to get the output of your Piano into your PC.

PCs USED to be provided with a LINE-IN as well as a MIC-IN, but only a MIC-IN is provided on newer machines and cheaper Laptops.

You probably need to investigate a USB-Audio interface - which will have a LINE-IN on it.

Then you merely plug the Piano L + R outputs to the L +R inputs of the Audio Interface, make a new Stereo Track in Audacity - click record - and Play your Piano . . .

Hope that helps

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

db7

Unread post by db7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:23 am

lauramariepepsin wrote:I can save directly from the instrument to a USB flash drive ,but it is in a .USR file format which cannot be read on my PC a Hewlett Packard ,I'm using Windows 7 ,and of course this USR file format cannot be converted.
Yes, this is a native file format. Cursory Googling of Yamaha PSR "USR" leads me to believe it’s a format that stores songs the user has sequenced on the keyboard. For example, take this thread, which also implies that at least some PSRs can alternatively save as MIDI, a widely usable format for storing sequences. You could search for that option in the menu of your YPG-535; perhaps it has it, too. But even if that’s possible, it has limitations, as I explain below.
So,how do I get my music,sound effects,etc. from my Yamaha YPG535 to my PC for use in videos , on YouTube or my websites,blogs,etc.?
Firstly, you need to specify what it is you actually want. What you’ve said so far is a bit too vague. But my guess is you want to capture the precise sound of your YPG-535 for use elsewhere. If so, another important thing to know, assuming a USR file is just a proprietary equivalent of MIDI, is that such files are not the exact music you hear through your keyboard. They merely store the notes and their times, not their actual sounds. Thus, to capture the exact sound of the keyboard, you have no choice but to record it as a normal audio file and then use that.

Looking back, I see parametric already explained most of this in the post above yours, so I hope my restatement makes it clear this time.
lauramariepepsin

Unread post by lauramariepepsin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 am

I have an old two channel mixer [ghetto blaster] it takes two CD's and a cassette tape. It has the inputs and outputs to record in from an instrument and out to the PC through the PC MIC, with two sets of two-into-one red white audio cables, but the quality isn't that great,it works.

I have now become detoured.thank you for the recommendation,"Audacity" is interesting. now I must record those very very very OLD GREEK cassette tapes to mp3,the worse it sounds ,the more you gotta love the stuff.if you're a Greek fan that is.
Cheers ! ((i))
Last edited by lauramariepepsin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:37 am

The problem with that arrangement is the mismatch in impedance AND level between the LINE input signal and the MIC input on the PC.

The MIC input really is only for microphones. Don't be mislead by the fact that the Y-lead has a 3.5mm jack on it that WILL GO IN THE HOLE. The signal levels are all wrong.

If you want it to sound better - then a USB Audio interface is really the only way - plus it ends up as a file on your PC - rather than on a cassette 8)

Best

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:48 am

db7 wrote:assuming a USR file is just a proprietary equivalent of MIDI, is that such files are not the exact music you hear through your keyboard. They merely store the notes and their times, not their actual sounds. Thus, to capture the exact sound of the keyboard, you have no choice but to record it as a normal audio file and then use that.
I agree <db7> it could be a midi file. try altering the extension ON A COPY of it from Song.usr to Song.mid and see if the PC can do anything with THAT.

However, as <db7> says, the midi file is probably NOT what you really need (from what you have told us)

I/We think you require a GOOD recording of your Piano as a .wav or .mp3 to use with another program.

You have the Piano, the cables and Audacity - all you need is the USB-Audio interface that will have the LINE-INPUTS you need to plug the piano's ouputs into

Best

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

db7

Unread post by db7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 am

I agree with the recommendation of a good recording, most likely requiring something a bit better than a built-in mic socket: an onboard line-in would be the minimum I would recommend.

I guess the file is very similar to MIDI in terms of its end results but, knowing how large companies work, laid out in a proprietary manner that would mean it could not be converted simply by renaming. I might be wrong, though: I seem to recall at least one older keyboard (the SY85, maybe?) producing files that had a different extension but could be renamed for use as MIDI files. I suspect the previous thread linked above would have divulged this were it true, but it would certainly be worth double-checking.

Return to “Yamaha PSR E443/E433/E423/E413/E403/E303/E203”