USB Port and uploading PSR-E443

This section is for the popular E series keyboards from Yamaha. If you have a problem, need info or have tips to pass on, please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

kellan

USB Port and uploading PSR-E443

Unread post by kellan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:52 pm

Greets :)

My question is pretty basic stuff, but I just can't find a straight answer - tho I think I've learned some things along the way, so hopefully I can word it in a way that I don't come off as a complete and utter clueless plonker. :P Ok, here goes....

When I bought my keyboard (psr-e443) I was led to believe that I'd be able to plop some of my digital tracks onto a usb (thumb) drive, plug it into the back and *presto* I could have my already-mixed and mastered tracks recognized and playing through the keyboard, so I could then lay even more tracks (layers, if you will) on top of them with the yamaha, record and bingo-bango / re-release a song.

I see now that that is not the case. Boo-hoo for me, I should've taken more time and sought more knowledge before laying down my cash. Oh well, I'm over it and I'm gonna' do what I can with this piece of equipment - which otherwise I'm quite enjoying.

I wonder if I have this right?

I could convert my .wav or even .mp3 files to a MIDI file and upload them to the yamaha - but....they wouldn't sound anything like the original track. As I understand it, midi - > mp3 could work out ok, but the reverse is (as of yet) virtually impossible in terms of sounding the same or even similar.

My yamaha will only accept MIDI & .sty files.

Is that correct?

Cheers for any info.
We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
~ Tom Waits
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: USB Port and uploading PSR-E443

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:00 am

You're correct that the PSR-E443 can't load, play, or save audio files of any type-- MP3, WAV, etc. But what it can do is accept an audio signal through its AUX IN connection and act as a loudspeaker-- i.e., it can't record the audio or even play it, just let the signal play through its speakers. That feature isn't intended for recording, just for letting you play along with a song. On the other hand, you could run a 1/4"-to-1/8" TRS audio cable from the keyboard's PHONES/OUTPUT jack to your computer's MIC jack and record the audio as you play along with the existing audio tracks.

However, if you're trying to add more audio tracks to existing audio tracks then I don't think you'd want to do it that way, because it would be better to keep all of the tracks separate so you can mix and master them in a DAW to get the best results before converting the end result to a new WAV or MP3 file. You'd still connect the keyboard to the computer via an audio cable-- or better yet, go to an audio interface and then to the computer-- but rather than playing the existing tracks through the keyboard's AUX IN connection you'd simply import them into the DAW as audio tracks, then record additional tracks of yourself playing the keyboard.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
kellan

Unread post by kellan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:27 am

Where is that "bowing" smilie? :)

Thank you Sea. That, I can follow.

Off to get the cable, then a night in.

cheers for that!
We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
~ Tom Waits
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:53 pm

You're welcome!

If you do go directly from the keyboard to the computer, you might need to clean up the audio a bit to remove noise (hiss, hum, etc.).

Also, if you aren't going to go to an audio interface and then to the computer-- or if your audio interface doesn't have a headphones jack-- then you might also want to get an audio splitter so you can plug some headphones in while still going to the computer. [EDIT: That's because when you plug a cable into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack it will stop the keyboard from playing any sounds through its built-in speakers. It's also assuming that the audio heard through your DAW suffers from enough latency that it would throw off your playing.]

The biggest problem is that the PSR-E443 has a 1/4" stereo PHONES/OUTPUT jack (as normally used on musical instruments) whereas your computer most likely has a 1/8" stereo MIC jack. They do make audio cables with a 1/4" plug on one end and a 1/8" plug on the other, but you generally have to order them because most brick-and-mortar stores aren't going to have them in stock. On the other hand, you might be able to find an "audio connections kit" at a local brick-and-mortar store-- I got one at Walmart that (IIRC) came with a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter, audio splitter, and 1/8" extender cable.
Michael Rideout
kellan

Unread post by kellan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 am

Alright, thanks for the additional info. I can't get much (audio cables, jack) where I am, but compiling a list and researching for the trip to the big city. ;)

I'm still struggling with the ability (and sense / usefulness?) of going through the process of uploading midi files to the keyboard (Ie; simple loop-tracks) created on a DAW, but I'm still not even sure how to construct a sensible question on that. Ahh well, step by step...

thanks again!
~ Tom Waits
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:10 am

A few questions before I make any more suggestions:

1) What sort of device are you going to be connecting to-- i.e., desktop computer, laptop, tablet, etc.?

2) What kind of audio jacks does it have-- i.e., separate 3.5mm stereo (TRS) jacks for HEADPHONES and MIC, or a single 3.5mm combination (TRRS) jack for HEADPHONES and MIC, or 2.5mm jacks, etc.?

3) What kind of USB ports does it have-- i.e., USB 2 or USB 3? (USB 3 usually has a blue connector inside the port.)

4) What operating system does it have-- i.e., 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Mac, 64-bit Mac, etc.?

5) Do you already have a DAW? If so, which one?

6) Do you already have an audio interface? If so, what is it? (So I can look up what kinds of jacks and ports it has.)

7) If you don't have an audio interface, are you planning to get one, or will you just connect the PSR-E443 directly to the computer?

8 ) Do you have a pair of headphones? And if so, does it have a 6.35mm (1/4") plug or a 3.5mm (1/8") plug?

9) Do you have the Yamaha Survival Kit for the keyboard (SK-D2) with the power adapter, headphones, and sustain footswitch?
Michael Rideout

Return to “Yamaha PSR E443/E433/E423/E413/E403/E303/E203”