Fg series?

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar United States of America
Michael66

Fg series?

Unread post by Michael66 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi all:) new to forum. Use to own fg730, had it for a year and sold it. I regret it to this day, question, how different is sound and playability of new fg830? Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fg series?

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forums :)

Difference in sound and playability between the FG730 and FG830? Not a lot. They are almost identical guitars apart from the change to scalloped x-bracing on the FG830 and more variety of finishes.

Soundwise I am not sure there is a huge noticeable difference. There is a LOT of hype around scalloped bracing and different bracing patterns but truly they lend very little to the overall tone of the guitar. This is why you don't see Taylor doing side by side comparisons with the new and much hyped "V-Bracing system" next to their previous non V-Braced guitars. IF there is a difference I certainly can't hear it.

However that aside the FG830 is a fantastic guitar, as are all of the FG range.

If you are going for the aesthetics then the FG830 looks great but if it is just sound and playability and you want to save some cash the FG800 is just as good.

The laminate rosewood back and sides on the FG830 look great but do nothing for the sound. Only the outward facing layer is rosewood and being a laminate the only thing it adds is strength. An all solid guitar will sound better but laminate is always stronger.

Not sure any of that will help but it's my 2 cents. I am sure others will be able to share their thoughts about it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
User avatar United States of America
Michael66

Re: Fg series?

Unread post by Michael66 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Thank you Saul for the welcome and input. The fg's are amazing guitars, regardless of price.

Return to “Acoustic Guitar Forum”