D28 vs Yamaha

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

Mimasu

VIP

D28 vs Yamaha

Unread post by Mimasu »

Got myself a very well played in 2005 Martin D28. Yes I know, I'm a Yamaha man but everyone should have played a D28 in his lifetime 8) .

I use to AB guitars while having a new same set of strings (I have all my acoustics set up for D'Addario EJ26 strings, 011, 015, 022, 032, 042, 052
Phosphor Bronze). On of the next weeks I'll restring some guitars and I'll compare them with my D28.

For now some preliminary thoughts:

The D28 sounds great. Playability is OK but doesn't match my unique playable LLX400. The D28 is within Martin specs but I think I'll lower the strings somewhat.

Played it against my L15A which you could see, woodwise, as Yamaha's D28. Both sound great but with a slightly deeper sound on the D28.

Playing both I noticed a difference though. The D28 is much lighter than the L15A, and lighter as almost all of my Yamaha's. The D28 is 2120 grams, the L15A 2430 grams. This is a difference of 310 grams (about 11 ounce). The difference will even be bigger becourse the D28 has a little bit more 'hardware' on board. Both have a K&K mini but the D28 has the Trinity system with added internal mic.

I was wondering if any of you out there having played Martins and Yamaha's has the same experience?

Leon

Iggydavid
Location.: Great Britain, England

Re: D28 vs Yamaha

Unread post by Iggydavid »

Wow... that's a seriously heavy gauge of strings you mentioned there. I usually put Martin Light gauge strings on my acoustic. Recently though I bought some slightly heavier D'Addio gauge strings on my Yamaha APX-4A acoustic. As soon as they dull enough, I'll go straight back to the Martin Light gauge again. I find that the heavier gauge strings are just too loud and have no colour or air to them. They only make the guitar sound cheap. Getting the correct strings to bring out the best from your guitar whatever make it may be is very important.

Iggydavid
Location.: Great Britain, England

Unread post by Iggydavid »

Sorry I typed the name of the guitars string incorrectly..D'Addario :) I probably got the gauge that you quoted. Never again for me though.

Mimasu

VIP

Unread post by Mimasu »

Martin light is .012 .016 .025 .032 .042 .054 I think. That differs very little from my used EJ26, and where it differs the Martins are heavier.

Strings are a matter of taste.... and budget :D .

Besides playing guitars I'm a collector. I buy, and sometimes sell, in order to make my collection better. Without any exception my guitars start with a set up and a new set of strings. Some get played an hour after that and end up looking beautifull at a wall hanger. I have guitars I haven't played for 10 years. Some get played a lot.

I love to compare guitars and try to understand differences. So I restring a lot, but a lot of guitars get played very little ;).

The EJ26 is my choice of a decent string for a decent price.

Leon

harryw

Unread post by harryw »

thats something to, diffrent string sets.
the tension makes also up for a diffrent sound.
i wonder leon. do new yamaha's come standard with a set of 11's on them?
also the strings are yamaha's own brand?
hard to buy , is what i red a while ago.
another thing , my ll500 seems to come alive.
but only after a few songs.
looks/sounds like she needs a warming up..

Mimasu

VIP

Unread post by Mimasu »

harryw wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:22 pm i wonder leon. do new yamaha's come standard with a set of 11's on them?
also the strings are yamaha's own brand?
hard to buy , is what i red a while ago.
Not a clue. Never bought a new yamaha 8) .
harryw wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:22 pm another thing , my ll500 seems to come alive.
but only after a few songs.
looks/sounds like she needs a warming up.
Good to hear. Some guitars take sone time to get used to. Perhaps it's not only the guitar. Could be that playing her some time also gives the player the positive feeling about the feel, sound etc.

Leon

harryw

Unread post by harryw »

haha, leon never a new one?
i do not regret buying my ll-6 and apx500.
and i think you are right on the ll-500
there is something that player and guitar ,sorta find the sweet spot.
and i just read today a post , of someone who stored his guitar always in the case.
and now have the guitar on a stand.
the dry air makes for a different sound.
my ll500 has spend most of her life in the case, i am quite sure
leon , fancy a used LJ-36 ?
bigfoot in germany has one for sale. 3k...

Mimasu

VIP

Unread post by Mimasu »

harryw wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 pm haha, leon never a new one?
Never a new Yamaha indeed. I think I owned 100+ guitars in the last 40 years. Only bought 3 of them new. First was a MusicMan Silhouette. Saw Albert Lee and Steve Morse at the Frankfurt Musik Messe introducing these guitars. I'm a big Albert Lee fan and had to have one. One of the first imported to the Netherlands. Second was a hand build telecaster from a Dutch Luthier. Turned out te be a bad idea. 3rd was a Haar Stratocaster. Still my main guitar.
harryw wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:52 pm leon , fancy a used LJ-36 ?
bigfoot in germany has one for sale. 3k...

Not really. had a LLX26C a few years ago. Great guitar, but not the vintage mojo of my L25A nor the playability of my LLX400 so she had to leave.

Leon

harryw

Unread post by harryw »

well the new guitars i bought were the yamaha's l6 and apx 500.
rest of my gear, i started out with a new fender vibro champ , and a copy goldtop les paul.
the make of the les paul was custom, not to bad of a guitar people told me later.
they rarely show up on the net or vintage guitar shows.
had a second hand mim strat once , but i was used on putting my right hand on the les paul bridge.
i had a gibson les paul standard for almost 40 years.
always worried that the neck would snap, sold it a few years ago.
double feelings sad and relief. but ok she was way o heavy too.
o wait, i bought a yamaha f310 too to start the acoustic playing.
for the money not bad , but wanted more. sold her
and before that one , there was a ovation celebrity.
imo an awful thing, wood and plastic dont go together.
read on a forum to put dirt and a plant in it.
would make a great conversation piece ...