Bigger than parlour but not full sized?

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

HarryJS
United States of America

Bigger than parlour but not full sized?

Unread post by HarryJS » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 am

I've recently fallen back into the fold with my first guitar in 25 years.... Now that I'm in full addiction mode, I figured I'd like to buy an acoustic to go with my Les Paul.

I'm looking for something that isn't as small as a parlour sized acoustic but isn't a "full sized" model either.... I'm not even sure this is a thing (again, full rookie here) but I'd like it to be... Is there like a parlour+ size? I look online and it seems like there are so many options I don't even know where to start.
Maybe you want to download classical guitar ringtone for your phone
Can anyone suggest something to look at in the $500-$750 range? Or perhaps give me an idea of a description/name/type that I can use when looking online?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by HarryJS on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Bigger than parlour but not full sized?

Unread post by parametric » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 pm

Welcome to the Forums HarryJS,

NEVER too late to get back into it. I ALWAYS wanted a LP.

I've played a real one (A Red sunburst Deluxe) but could never afford one of my own.

I have a Vox Copy from the 70s.

I'm not really an Axe-Man these days - so I'll leave you in the capable hands of our "string section guys"

who will be right along, I'm sure . . . (<Saul> is your man for Acoustics (Y) )

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi Harry and welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

I think what your looking for would be an 'Auditorium' sized guitar, often referred to as 000 or an 'Orchestral' model (OM) as these are larger than a parlour but smaller than a dreadnaught.

You may look at a 000 and OM guitar and think they are the same because essentially they are roughly the same size however the 'OM' will have a shorter scale length. This has two effects. It will be a little easier to play as the string tension won't be so tight but it will also lose a little "punch" in terms of volume. Personally I think the differences are minimal but technically that is what they are.

By coincidence I have been reviewing acoustic guitars in the under $500 price bracket just recently and still have a selection of these guitars with me.

I don't have a Yamaha because apparently they are unable to send me one, despite being the largest instrument makers in the world but..that's a whole other storey. However I can recommend you take a look at the Yamaha FG830. It fits comfortably in your price range and is also the right size. It's very easy to play and the combination of Solid Sitka Spruce top with Rosewood (laminate) back and sides makes for a wonderful tone. The scalloped bracing also contributes to this. The ONLY thing against it, in my opinion is the use of plastic for nut and saddle. It also doesn't have any on-board electronics although in this price range built in pre-amps are not that great.

So to non-Yamaha guitars.

Takamine GN71CE-NAT, which I have in a natural finish. It's a beautiful guitar to look at but also to play. The action is superb straight out of the box with around 2mm at the first fret and approx 3.5 at the 12th. Not a hint of fret buzz either. Like the Yamaha FG830 it has a Solid Sitka Spruce top with Rosewood (laminate) back and sides. Neck is Mahogany and fretboard is Rosewood. It sounds wonderful and is incredibly easy to play. Definitely one of my favourite guitars at the moment.

Next up and something that may not be available in the states but worth mentioning anyway is the Ashbury AG-160 000. This has a solid Englemann Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides (again laminate). I did a short review of this here https://yamahamusicians.com/ashbury-ag-160-000-review/ There is also a video coming shortly as with all the other guitar reviews.
The AG-160 has no electronics but it is a wonderful sounding guitar and a pleasure to play.

Sigma OMMRC-1STE - Review Here https://yamahamusicians.com/sigma-ommrc ... ar-review/
This is another great guitar with a Solid Sitka Spruce top and Rosewood (laminate) back and sides. It has a lovely tone, comes very well set up and it a lot of fun to play.

Some other guitars definitely worth a look would be the Breedlove Discovery series and the Seagull S6

I'm also currently awaiting delivery of a guitar from Slovakian maker Dowina who produce some of the nicest hand made guitars I have ever come across and when I say "hand made" that's exactly what I mean. Top quality materials, put together by craftsmen with a passion for guitars and all done in their own workshop in Bratislava, Slovakia. Not sure if they are available in the states yet but they definitely should be!

Anyway hope that helps a little but let me know if you need any more info.
Sigma_Ashbury_Takamine_Vox.jpg
Sigma_Ashbury_Takamine_Vox.jpg (172.33 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
jens5
Ireland

Unread post by jens5 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:52 pm

Saul wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:35 pm
Hi Harry and welcome to yamahamusicians.com :)

I think what your looking for would be an 'Auditorium' sized guitar, often referred to as 000 or an 'Orchestral' model (OM) as these are larger than a parlour but smaller than a dreadnaught.

You may look at a 000 and OM guitar and think they are the same because essentially they are roughly the same size however the 'OM' will have a shorter scale length. This has two effects. It will be a little easier to play as the string tension won't be so tight but it will also lose a little "punch" in terms of volume. Personally I think the differences are minimal but technically that is what they are.
Sorry. Don't meean to butt in. If you were using Martin as a reference, both the current "Triple O" (OOO) and the OM now have an identicle scale lengh of 25.4" This was not always the case. If fact and for years, The OM had the longer scale length of the two with a bout of 15"
So,the 000 is traditionally short scale (24.9") while the OM is long scale (25.4")
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks Richard, your absolutely right it was the other way around with the 000 being traditionally the shorter scale (24.9") while the OM is long scale (25.4")
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “Acoustic Guitar Forum”