FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Rare Video of Jimi Hendrix on Acoustic Guitar

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Rare Video of Jimi Hendrix on Acoustic Guitar

Unread post by Saul »

This is quite an incredible piece of footage showing Jimi Hendrix playing a 12 string acoustic! Fantastic stuff ((i))

Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
parametric Great Britain
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Where Are You Located?: Near Watford, UK

VIP

Re: Rare Video of Jimi Hendrix on Acoustic Guitar

Unread post by parametric »

Nice find Saul . . . . 8)

If ever there was a guy with so much more to say - it was Jimmy . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

Some of My own Tracks: viewtopic.php?p=88899#p88899

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - https://yamahamusicians.com/720k-floppy-disks-for-sale/

Curse! This means the end of the horned gramophone and the little doggie that looks in to it.

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yes indeed and looking at him in that vid so alive and with a world of possibilities ahead of him just brings home the devastation drugs caused and how much talent we lost because of it :(
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales
Where Are You Located?: Spain

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

Wow ! ...that is a ver y moveing vídeo of Hendrix . The lighting and all white set brings him alive down to the last freckle !

I think what's truly amazing about the guitar ,is to what great extent it becomes transformed in the hands of different people . It seems to offer itself to individual interpretation unlike no other instrument and thereby offer glimpses into the remarkable biodiversity of souls . A very inspiring and magical tool indeed .
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I have not watched this for a couple of years. Even if you didn't "see" who was playing you could tell it was Hendrix just by the style of playing. He was pretty unique, certainly at the time. Who knows what he would have produced had he lived :think: I am sure there was much more to come.

The guitar is one of the most expressive instruments to play. Even an acoustic, with no effects other than the player's fingers. String bends, vibrato, slides, hammer on's, hammer off's, harmonics, palm mutes, different picking/strumming techniques and so much more. It's the gift that keeps on giving. (Y)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

SKYWALKER Wales

Yes !...and an expanding universe .

The late Ali Falka Toure based his guitar style on the Kalimba , or so I was told .

I assume you've seen the video on YouTube , where a very charming and funny Mark Knopfler relates the development of his home- grown style and how the character of different guitars inspired his work .

Now he's older and filled out a bit he looks great too . Gone is the skinny chicken .
What a charming and humble man . Also another VERY distinctive and great guitarist .
SKYWALKER Wales

And returning to Jimi Hendrix , apparently he was bipolar, which no doubt fired his creativity, but it's also a condition which is similar in many ways to a drug addiction all by itself . There are highs then lows, so the sufferer becomes a seeker of the high because the alternative is the low . The highs can also increase brain capabilities . It's a sort of supercharged mind state .
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Ali Falka Toure, now there was another great loss to the music world :( I only came across his music about ten years ago when I heard it in a French film, L'Auberge Espagnole but, yeah amazing! A pioneer of the "Desert Blues". Love that term :)

That reminds me of another African instrument, the Kora, which is probably more harp than guitar but to see someone like Toumani Diabate play it is just breathtaking 😲

I did see a youtube video a while back with Mark Knopfler talking about his guitars and how he got into playing etc. Fascinating stuff :)

As for 'Bipolar', I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I have known three people who suffer from that condition and it is really hard going sometimes, not just for them but for the people around them. One of them is unfortunately no longer with us. If Jimi had that then it is no wonder his star burned so bright but was ultimately not ever going to last.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

SKYWALKER Wales

I love African music . I'll check out Toumani Diabate 😃. Using a skin to amplify sound is a lot more simple than building a guitar or other solid wood body . The banjo originated from instruments of African origin brought to America by the slaves . I made several banjos but was never great at playing them . It just left me with a ' claw hammer ' guitar style 😅.

Yes there are a lot of us bipolar people out there . Fortunately taking Lithium works great for me . My problem was mostly with depression however ,but those who get the highs often won't take medication or recognize the severity of their condition .😬
SKYWALKER Wales

To continue on the subject of guitarists with remarkably personalized styles . There is a great new video ( well I hadn't seen it) of Rodrigo and Gabriela doing a ' Tiny Desk ' concert from their home in Mexico . ( Apparently they play Yamaha NX series guitars !)

Gabriela does a great demonstration of her particular playing style on the second track with plenty of Latin fire 😅.

While people tend to think of their music as Flamenco , they themselves only claim a Heavy Metal musical background 😂
I suppose her percussive use of the guitar top has something of a Cajon effect , although the Cajon was only relatively recently introduced into Flamenco by Camarón .

My guess is her style is pretty home-grown !