Solid or laminated?

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: parametric, Buzzard, Derek, Saul

Mimasu
Netherlands

Solid or laminated?

Unread post by Mimasu » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:52 pm

I think Yamaha has made some great all laminated acoustics over the years but a lot of people prefer solid and I get many questions if a specific guitar is solid or laminated.

Many Yamaha’s acoustic guitars have a laminated top. Just looking at the rim of the soundhole doesn’t always make things completely sure. And what about the back and sides, no rim there to look at.

This is the inside of one of my FG500’s:

Showing is a flaw in the wood (red circle) and a straight line in the wood (yellow arrow).

Such a straight line almost always indicates a laminated top or back. The flaw could be the ultimate proof.

Let’s look at the outside in the next pic.

No flaw in the wood where it should be in a solid back (red area), and for sure no change of wood where the inside strait line is (yellow area). So definately a laminated back in this FG500!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Solid or laminated?

Unread post by Saul » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:38 pm

That's how I always check for solid or laminate. I think I posted about it a while back. An inspection mirror helps do the the same for the top although of course if the back and sides are solid it's a pretty sure bet the top is too as I have never heard of a laminate top with solid back and sides.

All this only works of course if you can see the grain of the wood so depends on the finish.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Mimasu
Netherlands

Unread post by Mimasu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 pm

Saul wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:38 pm
I think I posted about it a while back.
:roll:

If told twice it wil hold better. 8)

BTW: I love how Yamaha sometimes doesn't care to "fake solid".

Look at this back of a FG180-1. A nice wedge shape piece of maple or so.

But at the inside no wedge shape at all. Not even the 'back braces' (don't know the right word) in a wedge shape, just a plain brace in the middle and no maple at all:

(pics from internet)

Leon
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:14 pm

That's one of the many good things with Yamaha. They are not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. What you see is what you get and often what you get is really great! :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “Acoustic Guitar Forum”