First Time Godin Builds Guitars For Another Brand

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Buzzard, Saul

User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Time Godin Builds Guitars For Another Brand

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Finlayson D-100.jpg
Godin have a very long and interesting history and although they have several sub brands in Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie and Norman guitars they have never outsourced production or built guitars for anyone else. All their guitars are hand mad in Quebec, Canada and they have a well deserved reputation for high quality. I have played and owned Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitars so I can attest to that.

So it was with some interest that I read that Godin had collaborated on building guitars for another brand, namely Finlayson of Scotland.

Now , 'Finlayson' if you are not aware is the brain child of Billy Finlayson, guitar player and luthier and the guitar featured in this quick video below is the D-100. Designed in Scotland by Billy himself and built by Godin in Canada it seems like a really nice guitar.

The retail price of the D-100 is £1399 which, although not too high for an all solid wood guitar built in Canada is not the easiest sell these days. What sets it apart from the all solid construction guitars from the likes of Eastman, Furch, Dowina and of course Yamaha, all of which produce great acoustics with solid top, back and sides but at a much lower price point.

I am not in any way saying this is a bad guitar or it's too expensive..I have not tried it myself so that would of course not be fair but it is a very competitive market these days and a guitar needs to do something pretty special to stand apart from the crowd. Is being made in Canada enough?

Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Acoustic Guitar Forum”