FG 800 String change fret buzz

For over 40 years, the FG series has continued to offer outstanding quality and tone on affordable instruments. These player favorites have played countless gigs, written thousands of songs and are heard by millions of people year after year.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

thaynes
Location.: California, USA

FG 800 String change fret buzz

Unread post by thaynes »

Hi!

I am new to the forum and have been playing for only a couple of years.

I changed the strings on my FG 800 for the first time. I used Elixir phosphor/bronze nanoweb light.

Now, I notice that there is a slight fret buzz on the high E string. I tried adjusting the neck relief, but that did not help. These strings are the same size as the stock strings.

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience or what else I should try.

thanks,

Tom.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: FG 800 String change fret buzz

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Tom, welcome to the forums :)

I know you said the Elixir's are the same size as the stock strings but can you let me know exactly what they are?
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Unread post by shelly0624 »

Welcome thaynes :)

I'm wondering about the strings. If they were a higher density (not so stretchy) and a slightly thicker gauge, would there be less fret buzz and the vibration arc would be less?. Also the grooves in the guitar nut are super important. So those are the two things I wonder about (besides adjusting the truss rod, which you've already done).. if the strings (one or two of them) cause a bigger vibration arc, maybe a heavier gauge would help.. or maybe it might be a faulty nut. Sometimes the grooves in the nut can wear and become deeper and even a little wider, but it sounds like you haven't been playing that long. Was your guitar a newer model? Just a couple of ideas. I actually could get my guitar serviced for $50 at Guitar Center. They would adjust the action .. give it a new bridge.. new strings..a few things. (I hated the strings they put on mine and replaced them with my favorite brand). I don't know if all stores offer that (or if it is the same price). I set the action on my guitar really low, so it was ALMOST at the point where it could have fret buzz, but wasn't. I used Martin Marquis strings, silk and steel, light gauge. (Can't play anymore. My hands are shot).

thaynes

Unread post by thaynes »

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Saul, the strings that I used are Elixir 16052 Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb light with anti-rust plain steels. Not sure that it is the strings themselves, but might be an installation problem. See below.

Shelly, I thought about taking it back to GC to do a setup, but with SIP it is not really an option here yet. I took up the guitar later in life to stave off hand problems. It is both frustrating a rewarding at times!

I did check the nut, and since these are not too hard to replace and I have already done it on a strat, I have a new tusq nut waiting to be installed. I actually think that real problem is the number of string winds on the tuning posts. The Hi E has about three full turns, but since this is a thin string, there may not be enough downward pressure on the string to keep it from vibrating in the nut. I have order some EXP 11 strings that will arrive later today and will replace the Hi E and allow plenty of slack for the tuning peg.

That's my plan for now. I'll update once I have replaced the string.

Thanks,

Tom.

thaynes

Unread post by thaynes »

I fixed it!!!

Turns out that all of the tuners were loose. 8O :o

I did not change the strings, so I am still using the Elixirs, but now have enough strings to last for awhile. I also have not changed the nut, but will do that in the future. I can now get back to playing and fixing the fret buzz that comes from my playing! :lol:

thanks for your help!

Tom.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for the update Tom.

So ALL the tuners were loose? :shock:

That is an odd situation. You didn't notice that when you changed the strings from stock to Elixir? I mean no tuning stability issues etc?
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.

thaynes

Unread post by thaynes »

Some of the tuners were more loose than others.

I would tune this guitar at least once a week. I am not sure if that is normal.

what was really strange is that once I tightened the two loose tuners (hi E, D) I still had a buzz on those strings. I was going to adjust the truss rod, but decided to check all the tuners. I snugged them all up and tuned the guitar. String buzz is gone!

I will now probably adjust the truss rod to lower the action as it is a little high up the fretboard than I'd like.

Thanks,

Tom.

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Tom

How often you need to tune your guitar depends on a number of variables including, temperature and humidity, how old your strings are and how often you play.

I check the tuning on my guitars almost every time I play but often they don't need much adjusting unless the temp/humidity has been varying a lot.

I have a digital hygrometer to keep an eye on things.

https://amzn.to/2Atfdpm
ThermoPro TP50.png
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

Unread post by shelly0624 »

I'm really glad you figured it out. I used to use Slinky strings on my 12 string because they were easier on my hands, but the tone was mushy and the strings too stretchy. Fret buzz could be a problem. Glad the Elixirs work for you and that it was a simple fix. Looking for the right strings can be a bit of a pain. When you shop around, you can burn some money because the difference in sound is surprising. I believe that every guitar has that ONE set that works better than the others for that specific guitar .. just my opinion. Wow, I remember the days (in the 70s) when Martin made silk and silver strings. My oh my.
My favorite tuner -- surprisingly cheap, but accurate, was my clip-on Snark tuner..
Really hoping that one day I will see one of more grandkids playing the two guitars I still have, and really loving music. They can keep them if they are truly interested.