FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Tom Bedell from Breedlove Talks About Guitar Building

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SKYWALKER Wales
Where Are You Located?: Spain

Re: Tom Bedell from Breedlove Talks About Guitar Building

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

On the subject of " retro" , what do you think of the Monel strings ?

My impression of the Martin one's ,is that the suggestion that they bring out the natural sound of the guitar rather than imposing their own qualities upon it is utter nonsense . I would say that on the contrary they posses a rather strong character of their own .Perhaps the higher strings are a bit dull which might account for the ' woody ' sound frequently attributed to their tone !

I liked the bass strings , but the rest went into the bin ( think I told you that ! )
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

I am still not sure about Martin strings. I think they are very dependent on the guitar they are fitted to. I have tried them on Dowina and Vintage guitars but they sounded wrong. As though they were not matched to the guitar and were holding back much of the richness of the instrument?

Yet I can put Elixir Nanoweb on any guitar I own and they always sound great! I am sure that is not the case for all guitars but they do seem to have much wider usability.

Music is definitely magical. It can change moods, evoke such passion and emotion. It breaks down the barriers that might otherwise separate us through culture and language. Music exists through all of the natural worlds. It is the universal thread that binds us together.

Buying a new guitar may be irrational in terms of "need" but we both know we are still going to do it ๐Ÿ˜‚
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales

Indeed !... The human universal attraction to music and dance is a curious thing . Perhaps they satisfy a primal need in us to connect and atune ourselves with the rhythms of our external environment , both socially and beyond .

It would be a tough one to try to explain to aliens !๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
SKYWALKER Wales

Well I've now only got the Yamaha LL16 and the little Fender which have very different sound qualities . When my wife saw the new Fender she declared " Why do you need another guitar ?.... You've already got one ! " . So I don't see myself amassing much of a collection unless I plan to become single again . Women can be difficult , but are great for keeping a guy's feel on the ground . ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

I am very lucky in that my wife Sasha, has always encouraged me to buy guitars and keyboards. I am usually the one hesitating :)

Right now though I can't think of any guitars that I would really want to add to my collection, maybe a Transacoustic or larger body Breedlove :think:
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales

Sounds like your guitar collection is really lagging behind Justin Johnson's ( tut - tut ! ) ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.