FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Shorter Scales For Shorter Fingers .

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SKYWALKER Wales
Where Are You Located?: Spain

Shorter Scales For Shorter Fingers .

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

I've spent the last couple of weeks dredging the Internet for Acoustics with a shorter scale length ,but still with body dimensions that look like they can deliver a decent sound balance . I have somewhat short fingers and fancy an instrument that can offer me greater reach . I noticed right away that I wasn't exactly spoilt for choice . The combining of a shorter scale with larger body size for us short finger people doesn't seem to have particularly been considered by any guitar manufacturers , although I would have though that by including a cutaway it could be done .( Ah!...the things we would like to see !)

Anyway , it thought to post this subject in hope of getting some interesting short-scale guitar reviews from people out there ,because I imaging others might find it helpful .

I've actually gone ahead and ordered the Fender Travel 140 se , which was within my budget and appears to be a Fender cover version of the Taylor GS Mini e . at less than half the price ( 299€).

I will offer my review of it when it arrives and also try to sound test it acoustically against the Taylor , seeing as they have that guitar in my local music shop ( good thing they like me there ! πŸ˜…).

So !.....please send in your reviews of short scale Travel /Stage /Short-finger / Child ....whatever it is that they are Acoustic- Electro Acoustic guitars .

Julian .
SKYWALKER Wales

Re: Shorter Scales For Shorter Fingers .

Well!...I'm pretty impressed with the Fender CT 140 . Used to the sound of my LL16 Jumbo I was expecting a bigger let down in its relative sound quality . Naturally it doesn't have those deep chested cadences that come with a full body size , but it has a nice sound balance which isn't really wanting for base nearly as much as I had expected , and it has good projection and sustain . All in all a very pleasing tone !

I changed the Fender 12" gauge strings it came with for Elixir phosphor- bronze mediums and that's made a big improvement . The 12 gauge strings were like wet spaghetti on the 23.5" scale anyway !

It came well setup , nice clear spruce top , beautiful rosewood back and sides , rather nasty looking mahogany neck , with somewhat blotchy looking wood stain to try to make-good ugly timber .

It couldn't be more comfortable over the knee and it has that great playability I was after for my short fingers .

When I have time I'll compare it acoustically with the Taylor GS Mini . Apart from the GS Mini's curved back , they are almost identical guitars , or so the appear !?
SKYWALKER Wales

Still no comments or reviews on small guitars !πŸ˜₯

Looks like this topic is about as popular as " How to use your guitar for making yogurt " . πŸ˜¬πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
...... Ho-hum !
Mimasu Netherlands

Unread post by Mimasu »

SKYWALKER wrote: ↑Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:34 am Still no comments or reviews on small guitars !πŸ˜₯
Ok, Ok, here we go.

Been experimenting with shorter scales lately. Not as short as travel or 3/4 guitars, but just a little shorter.

I broke my wrist some years ago and after that couldn't stretch as far as I could before. As a long time Yamaha player I'm used to the 650mm (25 9/16”) scale. Bought myself a Eastman with 24.9" scale. Feels different, mainly due to a little less string tension while using the same strings, but I can't say I can stretch much further.

Bought me a Fender Duo Sonic recently, 24"scale. That's definately giving some better stretching, but now I feel I have some problems with some chords becourse of the lesser space between the frets.

When you're talking 3/4 gyuitars, like the Taylor mini, the Martin Ed Sheeran etc, that's something different. Great guitars for little hands, but that comes with a price: Never heard one that sounded like a big one. I have a Bluerigde BR-41 (22.7"). I think she sounds very good, but it's all a matter of personal taste.

Leon
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Unread post by Saul »

I didn't get a notification for this post, hence why there was a lack of response from me.

As you know, I am not a fan of cut down size guitars. The only one I have come across that sounded anything near nice enough was the Mayson Atlas/E

There is also the Dowina Bona Vida but that is a fairly expensive option and certainly not in the realms of the "budget guitar".

Most other travel-size guitars sound too boxy for me.
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales

Well the truth is ,when I ordered the little 3/4 Fender Travel , I was rather expecting to try it acoustically , make a face , plug it in and hopefully Doctor it's sound into something acceptable . I did try it plugged in briefly ,but against my expectations I'm finding its acoustics have charms I'm finding rather attractive .

The strings have a very clean sound with the higher overtones from the smaller body size .
The low E and A string deliver a rabbit-punch bass which sits closer in with other notes being played without blanketing them .
There is a nice harmonic interplay going on .
I don't find the sound balance wanting as I had expected ...just different .

Basically I'm really enjoying this instrument, largely on the basis of its dissimilarity to my LL16 .
It's like a violin and viola .
Playing certain kinds stuff sounds great on it !
SKYWALKER Wales

And thank you Leon for shifting that '0' from the replies column !πŸ™πŸΌπŸ˜…

Basically , playing from the nut on a 23.5" scale feels like playing standard scale with a capo on the 2nd fret , only with less space between strings . Yes it can therefore be a bit of a squeeze . My old school F gets the squeeze with the nut on the 3/4 ,and with the capo on standard scale 2nd fret πŸ˜…. Playing these little guitars one can feel one is unwantingly doing an impression of Israel Kamakawiwo playing the Ukelele . πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

Julian
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Is this the guitar you have? The Fender CT-140SE.

Seems like a nice enough instrument. Still sounds a little restrained in this video but then it depends on how they recorded it.

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales

That's the one !

There is one video by a chap doing a more strict sound trial , both acoustically and plugged in ,but it seems to be a bit evasive to find .πŸ€”
SKYWALKER Wales

It's the one by Nick Pallicgaard ( have no idea how to post it !)πŸ˜…
SKYWALKER Wales

I see that the Fender CT 140 se is the Fender CT 60 , just with added electronics and hard case . Also laminate rosewood back/sides instead of mahogany . The CT60 is better reviewed on YouTube !
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

SKYWALKER wrote: ↑Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:26 pm It's the one by Nick Pallicgaard ( have no idea how to post it !)πŸ˜…
I think this is the one you mean?

Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

SKYWALKER Wales

Yes Leon .

My final verdict on the matter of the shorter scale to achieve greater reach on the fretboard , is that yes !.. it DOES cramp you on a number of chords , so it's a trade-off of questionable benefits . I guess it all comes down on what sort of fingers you have .
There is less variation between scale lengths , nut widths and neck profiles in guitar design , than all the types of fingers in the world ! πŸ˜….

In the history of guitar making ( I refer to classical ) the scale length/nut width increased as people's average size and finger length increased . Guitars are designed for the average finger size , and of course classical guitar is played with rolled wrist and thumb in the middle of the neck to achieve optimum reach . With the narrow-neck steel string, we mostly do the lazy finger puppet thing with the thumb sticking up above the neck because we can largely get away with it and subsequently don't develop the finger-hand strength required for the maximum reach classical guitar position . If you have the kind of long fingers that you can do bar-chords with then no worries! But if not then the classical hand discipline will open doors that are otherwise closed . I'm a lazy hand player myself and avoid working on chords that feel uncomfortable.πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

That short fingers are not a setback to playing guitar is not really true . But that they are an insurmountable setback is not true either ! Like most things in life , success is in the ability and determination to adapt πŸ˜…