FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Ibanez AE275BT

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

puremusic United States of America

Ibanez AE275BT

Unread post by puremusic »

Well, I'm not much of a guitar guy. It's keyboards and VI libraries for me mostly.

But I've got an Ibanez AE275BT on order. We'll see how I do with it. Probably not very well, but I wanted to be able to practice on something not plugged in and in my prefered pitch range.

Thought I'd mention it. Any of you guys ever try one of those or try picking an other baritone?
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Design Wav5c Electric Cello - Paul Weis Acoustic Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: Ibanez AE275BT

Unread post by Saul »

I have played the AE245 and reviewed that here:
https://yamahamusicians.com/ibanez-ae24 ... substance/

The AE275BT is, of course, a different scale length and the top is solid Sitka spruce with Okoume back and sides, whereas the AE245 is all Okoume. But if my experience is reflected in the AE275BT I think you will be onto a winner (Y)
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Thanks Saul!

Just watched your review, definitely worth watching and I enjoyed listening to your playing and the sound of the Ibanez acoustic. I feel more upbeat about my future guitar now. :D
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Design Wav5c Electric Cello - Paul Weis Acoustic Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Thanks for your kind comments :)

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the baritone model. They are really nice guitars and they sound good plugged in too which is a bonus (Y)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.

Well, for the one and a half cents my keyboardist opinion is worth I'll give it when it arrives. It shipped today. Since it's a Sweetwater guitar, out here, they inspect and make sure it's all setup right before sending it off and take photos of the actual models so you can choose between minor variations in appearance.

Then they send the photos when they ship it. And some candy. I was real bummed the one time my order didn't come with candy.

I didn't have a choice in looks between models due to limited stock but as long as it survives shipping I don't think I'll be complaining about that. Looks great to me.

Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

It looks really nice :)

Did they give you any indication of how the action was set at all?

The AE245 I tested could have done with the action being lowered a couple of mm and I would have done that myself if they had let me keep it. I have actually been looking around for a used one for some time now. No one seems to want to sell, which is both good and bad. Good because people obviously think it is a guitar worth keeping and bad because I can't find one on the used market.

Do you know how long the shipping takes?
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

I should get it tomorrow, it shipped out yesterday, scarcely hours after I ordered it. Lightning fast! Looks like they threw in a complementary Humidipak Kit according to my order sheet.

Of course these days shipping is not what it used to be but I doubt there'll be an issue.

No idea about the action but I will find out soon. : )

I didn't rush shipping or anything like that I'll add.

Hope you can find one of those AE245's Saul, you sounded real good playing that one.

Arrived not long ago.

And first impression is, I can say I like it lot. Just like you like the AE245.

A sound with character. I play away at it chasing it.

It's quiet, I will likely add some different material bridge pins to make it a tiny bit louder. I have to change out the plastic bridge pins from D'Addario in any case as I broke one, and a string, tuning it.

So plastic is out. Instead of ebony I may try the Graphtec TUSQ material see if it makes it a tiny bit louder without ruining it. Or what else? Any suggestions? I'm fine with it at its current volume really but a tiny bit more would make it easier with a softer touch.

It's been ages since I last touched an acoustic like this. I'm not used to bridge pins. And tuning for baritone, not sure what tuning I want to use for it yet, and what it allows yet. I'm very happy with the general range of it. I can go deep or high enough to be happy with.

What surprised me is that it has a transparent plastic pick guard. I did not see that in the photos. I can barely see it in person, you really can't tell its there at all.

It also is slightly darker in normal lighting rather than showroom lighting as in the photos.

Action is fine, might've wanted it just a tiny bit lower.

Well that's my first thoughts.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

I am glad to hear that it arrived safe and sound and that you are enjoying playing it :)

What was it tuned to out of the box? B-E-A-D-F#-B or A-D-G-C-E-A?

I would definitely change the nut for TUSQ although there is a debate to be had about just how much difference it makes, I just like it anyway (Y)

Do you know what strings it was fitted with?

Bridge pins? Yeah, don't get me started on those 😂. I have always thought they were a daft idea. Why not just go straight through the bridge, as Breedlove do on most of their guitars? :think:

I don't think the bridge pin material will make much of a difference if at all but yeah, I would change them anyway, also for TUSQ.

Don't forget to post some pics when you get a chance?
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

I was surprised how detuned it was when it arrived. A very flat BEADF#B I'd say, I don't think it was tuned lower and went sharp.

I will try to mini review it when I've had more time with it, and when my replacement bridge pins arrive. Listened to a video or two, and thought metal bridge pins gave the most 'boost' so to speak so am trying that. A small investment that may give a nice touch of a return.

I don't know the exact strings it was fitted with. I am guessing at what series of D'Addario brand it was and waiting on replacements too as I forgot to order some. I had ordered some very heavy gauge electric guitar strings earlier to experiment with on my standard guitar, and one fit in for the broken string fairly well, but I'd still prefer a different one.

Well, my replacement pins and strings came in the mail, and now I'm fascinated with how pins change the sound. The metal does give a slight boost of some kind, at the expense I think of some subtle character, so I likely prefer the quieter ones. I am going to try rosewood pins and bone pins next, it's all a cheap little investment so should be fun to see what happens. It's a very small change but interesting.

I'm sure now it came strung with D'Addario XT Acoustic Baritone Strings, BEADF#B. I rather like them but I will try some different ones too. There's not a big selection of specifically made for baritone strings.

There's quite the scent of wood glue coming from inside the guitar, very fresh. This is a very new guitar. I recall it was out of stock until recently at Sweetwater so should have just arrived, and then I got the notification it was in stock and bought it shortly thereafter.

In any case, still quite happy with this guitar, just the thing for some strumming on some quiet days. If I need more volume it sounds good plugged in too, pickups work smoothly, no complaints whatsoever. It does make me wonder how acoustic bass players get by however, they should be even quieter I believe -- never tried one.
Last edited by puremusic on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll add I'm somewhat at a loss at finding an inexpensive soft case that will fit this thing.
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

puremusic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm I'll add I'm somewhat at a loss at finding an inexpensive soft case that will fit this thing.
Have you tried looking at cases for acoustic bass guitars?

Bridge pins. Now that is a topic to get people going 😂

There are so many conflicting opinions about bridge pins and whether they affect the sound of an acoustic guitar or not. I can't say I have noticed any difference in sound between plastic, brass, steel, Tusq and wood. And that over a period of 45+ years. To be clear though, this is my personal experience. Others say they can detect a difference. I can only speak for myself.
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

Well there is the placebo effect. If I had a robot plucking the string the exact same way each time, recorded it, and did a blind test, perhaps that would be a scientific way of determining it to rule out any psychological tricks played on oneself..

We all have different ears though, and different guitars in the end. :)