FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE POSTING
We don't have a great many rules on this forum. The ones we do have are mostly common sense but there are a couple which you do need to pay close attention to. You can read the latest version of the rules here: viewtopic.php?t=5958

Hi all - Breedlove review

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Kilf
Where Are You Located?: Lichfield

Hi all - Breedlove review

Unread post by Kilf »

Hi all

Newbie here just bought an Auden Chester, was having a chat with Saul earlier so thought I would join.

Saul
Changed my strings today as they arrived went from d'dadrio exp 12-53 down to Martin flexible core 11-52 playability for me has improved DRAMATICALLY and I actually prefer the tone, I thought it was a bit dead sounding before now I find it lovely and bright, maybe because I strum with my fingers rather than a pic, anyway thanks for the advice

Thought I share this as it was only posted yesterday and I know your a Breedlove fan, I was doing some g.a.s. searching and came across this, I've actually not watched it myself yet but this guy normally does good reviews...I'll watch it shortly

Mike
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin
Where Are You Located?: Nr Brighton, UK

Re: Hi all - Breedlove review

Unread post by Saul »

Hi Mike

Great to see you on the forum :)

I am so glad to hear that the string change worked out well for you. I have some Martin's tucked away here somewhere. I tried them on one of the Dowina guitars but they just didn't sound right. I may try them on the Breedlove.

Talking of which, I am subbed to Acoustic Review but I have not seen this video yet. It is the same series guitar as the one I have but mine doesn't have the cutaway and it has a different headstock design. I hope to get my own video online eventually :)
Saul
Site Admin

If I have been able to help you in some way you can Buy Me A Coffee Here.

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales
Where Are You Located?: Spain

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

I reckon I'll try out those flexible core strings for my next string change . I've never tried them .

Sounds like you are a friend of Saul's so you've probably had all the good advice a body could want off the site , but if you found that string change to greatly improve playability , then perhaps you are somewhat battling too much action off the nut . If a standard business card does not fit snugly between strings and first fret , then I reckon this action point is too high ! Some may disagree however .

Saul will laugh when he sees this post ๐Ÿ˜‚ . He knows that high action off the nut is one of my pet hates !
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

Yep, a lot of guitars are coming out of factories these days with action at the first fret you could drive a bus under ๐Ÿ˜‚. Not exactly conducive to easy playing for anyone, let alone someone taking their first steps into the wonderful world of the guitar!

Of course, it is a balancing act. Get the action too low and you can end up with fret buzz. My Breedlove has a really low action. You could just about squeeze a business card between the strings and the first fret but it's tight! So, it is easy to play for sure but, I would also say it is not a strummers guitar, not as it is currently set up. You can strum lightly but any heavy-handed work is going to result in fret buzz on that bottom E. However, as I am mainly a fingerstyle player, it works well for me. (Y)
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook

LAG T88A, Breedlove Signature Concert Copper E, Breedlove Pursuit Exotic Concert CE Koa, Walden D640T, Tanglewood TRSJ-VS, Vintage VE2000GG.
SKYWALKER Wales
Where Are You Located?: Spain

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

Ok ! ....whenever anyone mentions playability issues I always suspect a wanting setup . Particularly high action off the nut ๐Ÿ˜‚.

The business card test is a pretty good one . The high e string should at least be low enough to drag .

All those new guitars with loads of action off the bridge look like they were set up by the director of that Indiana Johns movie where he's trapped on the rope bridge crossing a river gorge !

" Indieeee !...... Are those CROCODILES down there ? "

" No Willie .... I'm afraid those are man- eating frets !"

" Oh my GOD !.....Oh my GOD ! " etc .

" Calm down Willie ....there is a good 100 meters between these cables and those frets ...... This is a high action move after all ! " ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Saul Ukraine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul »

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ That reminds me of the Hartwood Prime guitar I had here a few weeks back. The action was so high you could have hung washing from the strings and still been able to see through to the other side ๐Ÿคฃ
Saul
Site Admin

Follow Us On Facebook