The Monel " Retro" String !... A Bovril Thing ?

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: parametric, Buzzard, Derek, Saul

SKYWALKER

The Monel " Retro" String !... A Bovril Thing ?

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

For all of you who aren't Brits , Bovril is a long standing product in the U.k. ,made by taking a cow and boiling it down until it fits in a little pot . You spread this on your breakfast toast before heading off to forge the empire or invent Brexit .

People either love it or hate it ,creating what is probably the biggest and most unreconcilable national social divide in the British Isles .

Monel " Retro" strings seem to be similar to Bovril . People seem to either love them or hate them .

It would be nice to get some of your opinions out there on these controversial strings, so please fire away .

Shop Solid Top Guitars Starting at $295
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Monel " Retro" String !... A Bovril Thing ?

Unread post by Saul »

I'm a vegemite person myself ;)

Those Martin Monel Retro strings probably sound great...on a Martin guitar. Mileage may vary greatly on other guitars.

Martin says
the solid nickel/copper alloy blend provides a reduced pick attack that allows the guitar’s tonewoods to be heard
which makes me think they may not be ideal for fingerstyle players who only use the tips of their fingers to play. Perhaps it would reduce volume and resonance too much?

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
SKYWALKER

Re: The Monel " Retro" String !... A Bovril Thing ?

Unread post by SKYWALKER »

Well I don't play with a pick so I can't say I noticed that difference particularly .

Perhaps less overtones from these string which would then shift the sound towards the overtones produced by the guitar itself ?

This may be what some hear and like , and others hear and find wanting . Personally I like string overtones for the cross play they can produce so found the Monel strings dry on the highs . I find the low strings have great smooth punchy bass however . Initially they also carried a sort of growl I kind of liked too . It sounded like my guitar had become possessed by Tom Waits 😅😂. This growl soon disappeared however .

Let's see if we can get some more views on these strings ( common guys n gals ! 🤗).