How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

General Acoustic & Electro/Acoustic Guitar Forum covering all brands other than Yamaha or Yamaha guitars without a dedicated forum.

Moderators: Buzzard, Derek, parametric, Saul

MaxDread

How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

Unread post by MaxDread » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi all

Another post about my recently acquired Yamaha LL11! I've finally got around to giving it the once over, cleaning it up, and putting some new strings on.

With the strings removed, I thought now would be a good time to photo the frets and fretboard and see how bad the damage is.

From the 7th fret onward they seem in pretty good condition (getting better the nearer you get to the body). The last 4 photos are of the fret 7 onward to show this.

With regard the fretboard itself and the grooves/depressions in the rosewood, it was quite hard to show accurately - which is why I thought I'd take quite a few pics from different angles etc. The wood at fret 2 is the worst.

Any thoughts would be great.

Many thanks

Max

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

Unread post by Saul » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

Well at least it was used a lot which shows what nice guitars these LL11's are :)

Well you could go for a partial refret, that would be about £50-£60 or a bit more drastic, replace the whole fingerboard incl frets. Not sure I would go that far myself. I guess it depends how much you like the guitar and how bad the wear is on the lower section of the board. The LL11 is a very nice guitar so, might be worth at least checking prices?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

Unread post by Fozzer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Yesterday I cleaned up the frets and fingerboard with very fine wire wool, and lemon oil, and a brand new set of D'Addario classical guitar strings on my beautiful 1950/1960 Classical Guitar.
It has been played regularly from that time, but my frets have never suffered the damage that those frets have suffered!
It looks as though the wear is too great to be cured by dressing with a sandstone.
Looks like a re-fretting job. (I've done it before, myself, on my other instruments, with limited success!). A job for a Pro?

I'm surprised that that amount of fret wear would occur with gut strings, especially on the three upper strings?
Maybe ALL the strings were wire-wound?

Paul... <-> ...!

P.S. 'tell you what...I'm thoroughly enjoying my new little Kala Tenor Ukulele. Its a real fun little stringy-thingy to play, and accompany music on the radio, etc...Loadsa Fun, Lotsa laughs!... :mrgreen: ...!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php

Return to “Acoustic Guitar Forum”